Friday Homeschool Recess 5/17

Community Leader
Friday Homeschool Recess 5/17
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 9:14am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Sorry about no recess yesterday.  I kept getting errors when I tried to post, and never was able to get back and try again.  I know you all played nice on the playground without me Laughing

I got a new cell phone that actually likes me, and that I think I like.  So far I like, except I haven't figured out how to make a custom ringtone from music I have on the phone.  There's probably an app for that, though the last two phones didn't require an app, LOL.

Today's agenda includes paying bills (blech blech blech), fixing a family lunch since it seems everyone is going to take off and not be here at dinner time except for me.  (What's up with that?  Maybe they should just get a paltry lunch and I will make myself a very nice dinner!  Nah, I may just take myself out for dinner, and pbbbt on them.)  DS is leaving for a weekend campout, so I have to make sure he's packed and ready to go, and now I see in the forecast it's going to rain.  Huh?  Yesterday it said it was going to be sunny and gorgeous.  Today it says it's going to rain.  Make up our minds already.  I prefer sunny and gorgeous, myself, but I'm sure he won't care if he gets wet!  

A funny from yesterday.  While I was getting my new phone, the kids were playing with the demo iPhones.  DS had never met Siri before...probably didn't even know she existed.  He asked her to solve a very large math problem, and she of course gave the correct answer.  He is in love with Siri now because she could do his math for him Kiss

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 9:58am

Zeph and I are off to attend a project based learning event. I'm eager to see the schedule and book list so I decide if this is a good fit for him or not.  School once we get home followed by break dance class.  DH is driving to dance so he can observe a class-entertaining! 

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 12:01pm

I find myself with some free time.  The event was for students only. I took the info about the group and came home. The book list is definitely highschool- nothing he can't handle, but a big jump in workload for him.  I'll be curious to hear his take on the group  when I pick him up. He and I will have a meeting over lunch (group met at Panerra) and I'll get his take on the group then.  I'm almost done grading work from this morning. Then I'm going to sit on the deck and read. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 12:15pm

dd15 and I first went swimming two days ago.  There's a new pool cover (doesn't cool as fast) and warm water seemed to be going into the pool, but it was pretty cold.  Yesterday dd15 and dd19 went swimming...still cold so they didn't swim long.  dd19 borrowed my swimsuit and we noticed that it's losing its shape...in fact has some places the color has come off, so time to hit the Lands' End catalog, the only way we've been able to find suits that fit while living in the boonies.  dd15 just ordered one; dd19 had remained hopeful that we'd find something she likes around here.  Anyhow dd19 is making plans for summer back home; has one job lined up (one week of lifeguarding) and is applying to the hometown pool, is planning for sax/clarinet lessons and dancing, and hoping to find a reasonable place to stay.  My computer fix failed in a big way (there is another bad part on the motherboard) and it seems not worthwhile to even bother fixing it, so as soon as I finish this post I'm going to figure out what is involved in the software migration.  I have a request in for a new software license and hope it comes today because next Monday dd15 and I will go visit my mom if things work out as planned...we're trying to catch a ride to the Big City with a returning astronomer.  Tatsi (pronounced Tottsie; she came to us named "Tootsie", which dd19 didn't like, so "sort of" named her after her previous cat Tati (Tatiana)...now you know the rest of the story)...anyway, Tatrsi has lots of attitude and has been know to bite and slash,but she thinks I'm something special.  And it seems that she always comes to sit with me when I'm about to do something else.  I think I will go make pizza, a regular and a GF.  dd15 just throws things into a pan (it seems) and they turn out like restaurant meals: last night she stir fried mushrooms and onions (I think) and peas and ginger and peanut butter and hot sauce and served it on rice noodles and it was...so good.  For years she said she wanted to go to culinary school; now she thinks psychology is her thing.  I still think the first idea isn't so bad!  This week I have only had to go to the nearer town once (for shopping and German) and the farther town the next day (to give violin lessons and shop and Ultimate) and yesterday we were home and today...home...dh let me sleep in this morning and I didn't look at a clock until 8:52...he unloaded the dishwasher and everything and I slept like a log.  So maybe I will overcome my sleep deficit and lack of wanting to stir outside my neighborhood soon (maybe when I do have to leave on Monday???)...  So, to business.  Clothes are rattling in the wash, lunch is waiting to be prepared, and I have a computer (fortunately in the family room) to get started on.  And the cat (I was just enjoying the warmth next to my arm) just left. And the dd's are still asleep and probably won't need much today (besides maybe driving practice and swimming oversight; dd19 is a lifeguard and claims that only two at a pool is a bad idea)...

Deborh

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 12:37pm

Yep...problems in the village as far as software/post, glad that is not my problem to solve! I am tired. We left and went swimming this morning, back for lunch and my girl has only wanted to dance all day. Before swim and now after, she is making up her own routine to a fav song. I guess dance recital and dance being over, means she will just do it herself in my living room! Yet, after noon we must do a bit of Math and Lang arts stuff, keeping the book work minimal for both of us today. We have a Orchestra thing tonight, after I pick up the big sisters. One of the sisters will go to that too. By the time I get home I will only wish to crash, into my cuddly pillows with my cuddly poodle. I have more to do that will make it a busy weekend, exhasuting to think about! Yet, we must push forward, with the days work! Every day...maybe sneak in a nap or sleep in a bit over weekend if I can!

Heather

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 5:50pm

Ivillage has been great today here.  It remembered me, no weird error messages- hope it stays that way...

Thumbs up from Z about the class.  They did a mini presentation on 4th amendment rights related to spy ware where the group of 5 kids all did a part of the research, and development.  He's going to do the class.  I'm a bit nervous about the workload and the scheduling of the weekly class- between that and co-op it is 6 hours a week out my teaching time not including time for class and co-op homework.  I hitn he is ready for the added responsibilty, independence and to step up his work.