Monday Homeschool Recess 1/28

Community Leader
Monday Homeschool Recess 1/28
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 12:13am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Well, we got a bit more snow last night and now the sleet/freezing rain warm-up is starting.  Grrrrrrr.  Why does it have to get warm and probably melt off the nice snow we got over the weekend? No fair!  The good thing is, it looks like the rain will change back to snow at the end of the warm spell, so maybe we'll end up with white on the ground again.  If we're lucky!

Not much on the agenda for today, aside from routine stuff.  I have a meeting at 5, and dd and I both have our usual rehearsals.  I think she's going to hang out at the library and walk across the street to her rehearsal, unless she changes her mind.  Knowing her, she might even persuade a friend to meet her and hang out Wink

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 8:40am

Our snow has disappeared and been replaced with soggy mush.  Very gray day outside. In a bit Zeph and I are heading out for breakfast followed by his Microsft class.  I'm bringing some curric to show my friend (kids are in the class too).  We'll have a nice visit.  Hoping to stop at the library on the way home. Once we're home we've got history, history and literature to work on.  No idea on dinner-I'm thinking grilled cheese and tomato soup.

I missed The Music Man last night.  I had a stress migraine (felt better after I threw up) plus sciatic issues and felt much better lying around the house using the dogs as heating pads.  Zeph really enjoyed it and came home humming. DH said it was good but not as good as Annie. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 12:34pm

All events are canceled in our town, so three day weekend! All due to some nasty ice that fell, hate ice, it is not snow, it causes way more problems! So I threw a pork lion and veggies in the crockpot, for dinner and we are all being lazy. If kids start bugging me, I start giving out home work assignments!  So far they are entertaining themselves, on a level where I am not...ah, peace. it wont last, but I will enjoy it a bit now.

Heather

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 1:41pm
Home made chicken noodle soup cooking for lunch. I did cheat with using frozen noodles but the rest is homemade. It will be low cal. healthy and satisfying. Now why do I wish it came with cornbread...ugh dieting! It should last a few days for easy lunch, so that will be nice. We have been ill or with icky weather, hopefully that wil pass, so I get to the pool more this week, my best exercise is in the water. Not to much school for my home student, seeing her sisters are here to entertain her, but maybe some music pactice or a craft later. heather
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 4:33pm

Looks like my 10th grader has  come home as of Christmas. She was severly being bullied and pulling her out was our only option. We enrolled in an online homeschool and after a few problems we are up and running for the semester.

My 11 yr old came home before Christmas and is doing really well. He is finally healthy and is doing well in everything but Math, we are working on it.

My 14 yr old is at school to and loves it, he thrives in this enviroment.

So today we had a snow day, we got 15 inches over the weekend. School was done and since I have to go out we will hit the libaray and check out some books. After that we are hanging out at home staying warm.

I'm so glad to have the kids home again, although I will aadmit the 2 hours alone in the morning is kinda missed, but not at the kids expense.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 7:04pm

It was in the 40s here today.  We went without coats and I had windows open airing out the bedrooms! 

I have ever heard of frozen noodles--tortellini and ravioli yes bit not plain noodles.  I'm going to look next time I'm at the store.  My chicken soup isn't totally homemade either since I don't make the broth, but with all those veggies and fresh parsley it sure tastes wonderful!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-29-2013 - 3:02am

I guess dh had leftovers and spaghetti today...he did not show up for lunch due to some sort of cyber emergency and I had to leave for town at 1p.m.. We didn't get off until 1:15, so dd19 was later for her printing class. I had got a ride with dh up the hill in the morning because a) I had a hunch that a printer we need was in storage in his building and b) I wanted to have to walk home. The printer (minus cord and cable, of course) was sitting innocently in the corner of a storage room and was probably about the least cool thing in the whole room. There were a dozen or so wireless antennas that used to be on the houses, which made me wonder why ours is just sitting out in our yard. I stopped at the office to find that the fuel system computer had failed (started it up again but it didn't work), then did a software update on another, then found that a couple of people don't have access to a program (here's the best part: I reset the password on my friend Jerry's account...but it was the other Jerry who had lost his. Actually he lost the name of the account too, but we got him straightened out.) I had already cleaned the kitchen and a litter box (the other waits until tomorrow) and other stuff like that. On the way to town, dd19 lectured me about getting her to class late...as the captive driver, I was helpless to resist. We dropped her off at school and then went to the auto parts store to talk about stopgap repairs for the car's exhaust system, then stopped at the plan nursery and found that most of the small outside plants, leftovers from last summer?, did not seem to be very healthy, so we drooled over the potted apple and pear trees for a while and then went to the auto repair shop for an estimate, but the correct person was not available, but the lady behind the desk could not restrain herself from a catty comment about the garage that had diagnosed our problem. Then we went to the grocery store for some staples (like chocolate chips) and the discount store, where our purchases included some 0.7mm pencil leads, candy bars, 6 pairs of yoga pants in two lengths (3 for each daughters) and a lace crop top for dd15, to wear over shirts. (I tried one too, but it didn't match my face. Although I might change my mind. I liked the fuchsia one, the same color dd got, salmon and green look strange on me, and the white seems grandmotherly. Or maybe great-grandmotherly, as I am of a grandmotherly age. Then we went back to wait for dd to finish her class (I did drop in and get to see her making a print, which she told me later that she dd not care for...me, not the print) and then dd15 and I hung out in the car and talked and listened to the news and got bored and waited for dd19 to have her piano lesson, supposedly "half an hour to forty five minutes" (said the teacher)...it was well over an hour before they came sauntering out of the building. Oh, I did read aloud to dd15 a part about "setting" from a book on novel writing and also twisted her arm to learn one of the violin parts of the Pachelbel Canon, and also arranged for me and dd19 to play in mariachi because it looks like the fates are against me and I'm going to be halfway to town half of the Tuesdays anyway. Maybe she can also play in City Band, although it will involve a drive home in the dark, as she cannot play in Wind Ensemble this semester because it conflicts with class. The personnel are almost duplicated although there are more rowdy old ladies in City Band. And then...home. The sunset was amazing, orange and pink in the gaps between the mountains. I slowed down a bit more after dd19 pointed out that I had not seen a deer standing right next to the road. In the last couple of miles before home we could see the last little strips of snow in the borrow pit. To the left of our front door was something that looked like crime tape: the parts of one of our two trees killed by pine beetles were spread all over the lawn. The other tree was still up, maybe a grim project for tomorrow. I couldn't see if the other dead trees and downed limbs (from the pine beetles and the snow) were gone yet. Once inside, I found another message from one of my password forgetters...that was when I discovered that he had forgotten which email account he'd used to set up his account. And I sneaked to the office to pick up an ice chest that the sewer project engineer had offered to anyone who wanted it...when you live 200 miles from the Big City with the Cheap Grocery Store, one can never have too many. The moonlight was dim because of the clouds, but I went without a flashlight because the only one that I knew the location of was in dh's possession, and he sometimes takes a dim view of my habit of Collecting Useful Things. Better to wait for the opportunity to show that it is indeed Useful, perhaps Indispensable. I hid the cooler in the garage. Then I went in and asked dh to play the Handel-Halvorsen Passacaglia for violin and viola with me...just the first eight measures or so, I said, because I hadn't practiced it and he has been working on and off for several weeks. Fortunately the viola part is a lot easier than the violin part, so we were able to hack fairly successfully through the whole thing at about a quarter of the usual tempo. Everyone is in bed...well, at least in their rooms. The wind is howling outside: tomorrow we are promised "Dangerous Winds" and a high of 40F, 28 degrees lower than today, although it is hard to imagine how we can get from 51F now to 28F by morning. The average wind at the top is 29mph now, with the maximum gust in the last ten minutes a measly 50mph. Now I have just proven again what I know very well, that I am very good at wasting time, especially when I am supposed to be doing something else. Deborah

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-30-2013 - 10:13am
"Reames Homestyle Egg Noodles" we get them in the frozen section or our local grocer, I might have seen them at Target as well...so check there. My kids are sort of picky about pasta and they really like these in chicken Noodle soup. They are picky about food, and prefer my cooking to most meals out....spoiled! Plus when my oldest was homeschooled exclusively and ate following good health guidelines, and in a less stressfull learning environment she was 20 pounds lighter....the public school food, and eating situations, and her not an early breakfast eater....has not been great for health. I hope college is better for scheules and meal plans! Yikes...we are all dieting!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-30-2013 - 2:14pm

I never would have guessed there were frozen egg noodles!   We love Bechtle egg nodles. I bet they are similar- just one frozen and one dry. 

Community Leader
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 2:27am

Heather turtleemom...sorry you missed going to Music Man...and sorrier that you had a nasty headache.  I hope the week has resulted in your feeling better.

Sue

Community Leader
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 2:29am

Heather hbka20...yummmy soup.  Well, mine would be with vegetarian broth ;-)  I've seen frozen noodles but never bought them.  when my mom and ds made homemade pasta a few weeks back, they froze noodles and I used them in soup.  So I have used them.  LOL.

We have school districts around here that haven't had school yet this week, starting with the ice Sunday night/Monday morning, and then with all of the melting and rain, side roads that were ice rinks were then also water covered and even more treacherous.

Sue

Pages