Monday Homeschool Recess 2/11

Community Leader
Monday Homeschool Recess 2/11
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 12:42am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Nice rainy day in store.  Not nice at all!  Rain on top of that foot of snow we had will not be fun at all.  The side roads are going to be a mess!  Add a wind advisory on top of that tomorrow, and temps dropping back into snow range.  Fun stuff!

The kiddos have ceramics in the morning, and then dd and I have our usual Monday night rehearsal happiness.  She'll be getting more info about the proposed trip to the 2014 World Choir Games.  

I'm hoping to sleep very very well when I get home in 6-1/2 hours.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 8:59am

I hope you made it home safe, and are enjoying warm, sleepy dreamland!  We had that icy rain stuff here over the weekend. I am on the opposite shift in life here. In the sit and plan/think out what I need to do, prioritize that, only to probably have it all  changed by a kid or two. I may condense the  edu stuff as it can be done later with sibs, no classes tonight. Maybe get out and get some errands done, with less people shopping, with my assistant here to help load/unload baskets. I wish I could do nothing, but stuff to-do always collects when that happens, and usually I am ill for that to happen. 

Heather   

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 11:25am

Turns out I only needed a weekend to pull myself together. Winter is challenging for me emotionally. My body craves the sun and warmth and fresh air. DH took over this weekend as far as chores and I relaxed and focused on some unfinished projects and while pretty disengaged from family. I needed the time for me. After looking over DH's travel schedule and when we could be all free for any length of time, we decided on a vacation to Tuscon and then a visit to see MIL/FIL in Mesa. I see the contradiciton of my panic about MIL visiting me but a willingnessto visit them. They would be absolutely crushed if we were in the area and did not see them. I've got one day planned while we are and MIL is welcome to join us on that excursion. I'm waiting to hear back from the dog sitter and 2 B&Bs to firm up dates, but we have attractions all worked out and I am eager to start buying advanced tickets and researching restaurants. Just the promise of warmth boosted my spirits. We have narrowed it down to 2 cruises for 2014 which will hopefully be a premtive strike for the winter blahs next year. It feels so good to have money set aside for a vacation. A couple of years ago we'd need to be scrimping to take a trip. It's nice to see that we're in a new place financially. Hoping we can still do DC or Disney this fall, but we'll see it gets closer.

Today is a ton of school. Laundry and dishes too. Maybe some ironing. I need to go get beef stroganoff in the crockpot and cook chicken for homemade soup. Tonight I'm going to start watching season one of The Good Wife.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 9:11pm
Winter can be a humdinger of issues for myself, the cold can make my hip pain act up so I struggle with that. The dark plus illness makes me feel less clear headed, more tired. Then family issues, death dates/ or birthdates of those gone, seem to hit all at a bad time. I don't like to travel much in winter due to illness stuff and weather stuff, so it can be difficult. Then add all the commitments for education and all the busy stuff for the children..and well we all start wishing for Spring and summer ! I feel much better with the long daylight days, and that brings more energy my way. But...I like the challenges and endurance practice winter always seems to provide! I love the quiet snow gives to a walk in the woods. There are little gems about winter that make it worth the hardships, the beauty found in it. Heather
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 9:09am

The pups are drooling with the smell of cooling chicken (it's the sea salt blend I used to season it) and cooking beef stroganoff.  As a treat, I used the leftover beef broth to soak their antlers and Nylabones in to make them a new and tastey treat. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 9:32am

For me the snow isn't worth the downward emotional spiral and aimlessness. During these winter months it takes so much effort to choose to be happy. I much prefer the me of spring, summer, and fall.  While we do fun stuff, it's because I should not because I want to.  I focus on my daily to do list and do a lot of self visualizing.  This morning I spent about 1/2 and hour in bed 'seeing' our trip to AZ to the point I could feel the sun.  This helped greatly in preparing me for the gray and cold of today.  It's suppose to be in the 40s soon and then I can open a window for a bit which also helps.    The dogs also help just be being around.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 10:07am

I like the way winter pushes the mind to reflect and imagine. It is like all the cold and grey forces your mind to focus on what can be, not what is, imagine Spring, imagine growth and fresh air. While it shares a million sparkly snowflakes when they fall, diamond sparkly lights in the sunny days of snow, so bright you need sunglasses, ice crystals, red birds on winter back grounds. I bought more bird fed for that pleasure!  

Other than that coffee, warm fires, snuggly pets and good music can help me cope and find the happy side of grey!

Heather  

Community Leader
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 4:55pm

Heather turtleemom, I'm glad you were able to re-group over the weekend, and plan some "warm sunnier places" trips for both this winter and next.  (Now let's hope there's actually warmth & sun when you go!  My friend flew to Florida yesterday for 10 days and so far it's cool, overcast, and the red tide has her sinuses all messed up.  So much for enjoyable weather, LOL.)

I must be the odd one out.  I like winter.  I like it staying dark longer in the morning so the pets don't think it's time to wake me up at 5 am because it's getting light.  I like having an excuse to be warm and cozy wrapped in a blanket in the house.  I even like the snow Surprised  But, I do like warm weather too.  I really just like each season as we get it and I'm so glad I live in a "4 seasons" climate.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting