Monday Homeschool Recess 4/15

Community Leader
Monday Homeschool Recess 4/15
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 7:53am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

My kids are home and life is returning to the normal chaos I'm used to!  They had a good flight home.  No delays or anything.  We all slept yesterday...some longer than others.  The rest of the day was unpacking, giving/receiving gifts, hanging out, and getting this week's busy schedule decided on.  Both kids have nice tans.  DD says ds can go all he wants, she's not going again, LOL.  She felt like 2 weeks was a long time to not sleep in her own bed, and to not be around me.  But, she's glad she went and she did have fun, and she was very sad to leave their Navajo guide friend (they called each other "grandfather" and "granddaughter" in Navajo upon parting).  She did come home with some healthier resolves.  It seems that she realized that she actually did feel better because she was very active almost every day.  With that in mind, we went for a walk together last night (two walks for me because I went for one while she was still asleep, not knowing she'd want to go for one also!)

Today starts the busy-ness of the week.  She has to go to one of the high schools to attend a pre-session with an attorney in order to participate in Law Day on Wednesday.  They have to learn courtroom protocol, of course...since it's at a civic auditorium, not an actual courtroom.  Plus, they need to understand the back story of the case and how/why it has come to be heard at the state supreme court level.  She's understandably nervous about just showing up to a class full of people she (probably) doesn't know, for an hour, but I don't think that many homeschoolers signed up to participate, so they didn't set up a separate session just for us.  Tonight she has choir rehearsal, and then gets to hang out with her friend as usual until I am done at orchestra.  Sadly, we've just found out that the friend is moving back to California this summer Cry  Sad, because it'll mean that dd is the only high schooler who attends church regularly (the rest are hit-and-miss because they attend non-local schools, so they may be home only once a month or even less frequently).

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 9:11am

Welcome home travelers!   

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 9:17am

Now I have a sore throat and I am tired...again. My immune system is mad at me so now I am going to have a cold too, to keep me more sloth. All the outgoing kids were tired this morning from our weekend trip, but dh got them to school. My student at home is still sleeping in, wish I could, but I just wake up at the same time everyday usually. I hope to think clearly enough to get some more specific school work goals done, that we put off last week. Yet, I already know I will need a nap. I am functional at like 75% so we will see what I can accomplish at this level. My Spring calander is behind, and I bet I never make it up. Guess we will do some summer school, that includes paper work, because we have to this year. Bleck. 

Heather 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 9:39am

Good morning!  I'm waiting for DH and DS to wake up to run the vaccuum.  Then I need to dust, mop the kitchen, and zip to the grocery store.  DS can give the bathroom a quick cleaning. 

Hoping to squeeze in some school work-math, history, history, and literature somewhere.  I'm hosting game club this afternoon which should be a fun time for the kids. 

Tonight DS is suppose to have his first tennis lesson, but I think it will be cancelled due to the weather. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 10:26am
I filed my taxes (and older two children) online last night...I used the free fillable forms, which don't know how to copy numbers from one form to another, or look up things like tax, so everything has to be double checked. Then I didn't sleep very well, but I am awake enough to look at the family room (the "project room" with lots of pending activities) and be completely horrified...how has it come to this??? So this week will be Recovery From Taxes. I'm sure this sounds silly to a normal, organized person, but I do not seem to be a multi tasker...and last week while I was trying to get projects done at work, the specter of taxes was hovering in my mind...and then I got started (getting the papers I needed and writing down what I needed to begin) on Friday night...then worked sporadically on Saturday for what turned out to be hours and hours, and then finishing off yesterday night. So, aargh. And now I'm not sure if I want to a) hang out with cats or b) start on this wretched room. Work is out for at least this morning...my nose is full of dust and my head is full of cobwebs. The only thing I cannot shirk is lunch, and then the drive to town for dd19's class and dd15's voice lesson. Yesterday dh and I and three friends played piano quintets (what string players call a piano plus four other instruments) ....Mozart (transcribed from a quintet with winds) and Schumann. We're going to perform in October...some members want to name the group after an asteroid. Whatever... Deborah
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 4:23pm
Your not the only one. My husband did taxes yesterday and put the check in the mail today with the payment plan, that we must pay because we owed the feds. So that did take time, and was not fun at all for our weekend....where I am still in long term injury recovery and trying to run my home edu business and just regular home work stuff. So we are all working tired today. Boston Marathon....sad news. When will society stop hurting each other! Makes me ill, and worry more about public gathering. Which use to be a freedom and a right....but these days that comes with needed armed security more and more. So I paid my taxes....hope it goes to homeland security cost! Heather
Community Leader
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 5:46pm

Oh you're not at all alone with the tax pain.  I use Turbotax because we itemize so much (dh's work expenses mainly, and medical this year because of dd).  It's still painful because I know we'll have to pay every year, though this year was the least painful in years (because we bought new cars, and we got the medical deduction).  At least our state refund was enough to pay the federal, and I was able to pay a couple of medical bills that I had just received.  Still...what happened to the years where we got thousands back?  Obviously, a thing of the past.  One more burden on the hard-working-and-barely-making-it middle class Frown

Sue

Community Leader
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 7:38am

DD said the Law Day pre-session ended up going very well.  She was pretty anxious going into it...being the "lone sheep among wolves" as a homeschooler in a high school classroom.  She didn't have to find her way around in an unfamiliar building (we can thank tighter school security for that, at least!) and there were other homeschoolers there, though not people that we circulate with.  A friend of hers from choir was also in the class, which helped a lot.  The session ended 10 minutes or so before the end of the class period, and she said the teacher was asking them about being homeschooled and what their lives are like...very respectfully and encouraging good dialogue.  Total shock there!  So that was her biggest anxiety-producing hurdle for the week and it went way better than anticipated.  (The event itself is on very familiar turf...at the art/performing center...and dd will be helping usher as well as being an attendee.)

Sue

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 8:07am

I didn't know you could do a payment plan!  DH sent in half the money and filed for an extension.  This is the first year we've owed federal.   I think comissions and his freelance stuff messed us up.  We adjusted payroll deductions accordingly.  Hopefully next year we will break even.  If it weren't for the homeschool tax credit, we would have owed with state too...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 8:09am

double post

Community Leader
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 2:05pm

Glad you were able to work out the payment plan so you don't have to take the hit all at one time.  Hopefully your adjustments for next year will be the right amounts.

Sue