Monday Homeschool Recess 4/29

Community Leader
Monday Homeschool Recess 4/29
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 10:00am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Sorry recess is late this morning.  I had a log-in issue that wasn't allowing me to create a new post, but when I "back doored" it by replying in an existing thread, all of a sudden it recognized me and now I'm logged in and can post.  Wierd.  Must be a "Monday glitch" LOL.

I'm at work, and <gasp> I wore spring clothes!  Short sleeves and capris.  I almost felt wrong walking out of the house attired like this, but it was mid-50s and supposed to get in the 70s today, so I braved it and I'm glad I did.  Hopefully when I leave orchestra at 9:45 I won't have regrets or chilly legs, LOL.

The kiddos are at ceramics this morning, and then nobody has anything scheduled. (DD's choir season ended with their concert last Tuesday, so no rehearsal tonight for her.)  I think they might chill out and have a movie night together.  I got ds some better yarn and now he's going great on his crocheting, enough that he should be able to do it without me sitting by his side, LOL.  He's making a scarf to donate for charity, and crochets while he watches TV and while I read to him.  

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 12:07pm

Same here Sue. I tried to post something and it dumped this morning. Oh well, it is good to just get stuff out of your head. Then it is not bothering you anymore, even if I was only talking aloud to myself that way. We decided it was so nice out to get out and spend money. My young student had some to spend. She bought an ice maker, I like that it requires, no batteries and they can play with it outside this summer and stay busy outside more!  The birds are singing and it is another nice day here today. We bought some boring food and paper goods while at Target, we never stop needing that boring expensive stuff to maintain life around here! I felt great, no pain walking at all this morning, just a light but of tightness in my leg. It may hurt later but glad I can walk more on it now. Not all day and all night, like I sometimes do in Spring, being busy, but more.

We have dance recital rehersal today, and we still do not have something to wear....for a "dress" rehersal! So I hope when we get there our outfits are there. The kids have worrried, I have left that to the people in charge to worry with, I suppose they will figure it all out before next weeks performance! I have less dance this year,  just one recital but with two dancers in it. I am sitting thru it too, not working/volunteering. Part due to I was not sure how well my injury would be and part cause we are only in one recital this year. That was due to a kid with an injury last year, she is better, now.  She has grown a ton, so hopefully those legs are stronger! It will be a long Mon. night of watching dance recital practice, but I always love to watch them practice! 

I have some education to get done but my student is building her snow cone maker, reading the instructions and doing it all by herself as I type out my days busy.   Well gotta go, I am getting a Cherry 7Up icey....she has it ready for me I think! Experiment, build, read, create and serve. Maybe this summer she will sale a few in the neighborhood! She can recruit some sisters to work for her!

Heather 

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 12:14pm
Experiment fail so far....we will try again later and if it still does not work, we saved the receipt if we must return it! Geez it was a fun idea, but not sure the toy testing elves tried it out first before they put it in a box to sale to my mini-consumer. Maybe we need more salt or more arm cranking time....but we gotta go learn some reading and Math first then try our experimental stuff again! H.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 12:24pm

Busy morning.  I took the pups to the vet for nail trims and then to the doggy boutiqe for bully sticks and treats and then for a short walk.  They were both well-behaved and my arms are not exhausted.  This is a giant accomplishmetn for all 3 of us ( me and the dogs).  Zeph finished history, vocabulary and literature before I left at 9:30. 

Our hot water heater broke yesterday so DH and Zeph went out and bought a new one while I was out.  The plumber should be coming today to install it.  Zeph and I are off ot the grocery store.  I am planning lunch on the deck followed by more history and then a bike ride.  Lookign forward to burgers and conr on the cob:)Tennis is tonight and I am hoping to bring one or both of the dogs with us.  Tonight we're listening to Sadako and the 1,000 Cranes in preparation for the play tomorrow.  Loving the warm dry weather!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 2:31pm

The toy icee maker at Target is a dud, don't let a kid buy it. We went back and got a barbie on a bike, complete with basket and helmet! Now we all love our barbies here and are looking forward to having the dolls bike around outside on the deck!  Even the dogs love to watch the girls play with their barbies, everyone is really entertained, she can do anything that Barbie girl! Plus such a fashionista, and we make her clothes out of all kinds of things, like old wrapping paper, or scrap fabrics! So Our after school fun with be in the imaginary world of barbie girls, a few lucky kens are always invited to play!  

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 2:31pm

The toy icee maker at Target is a dud, don't let a kid buy it. We went back and got a barbie on a bike, complete with basket and helmet! Now we all love our barbies here and are looking forward to having the dolls bike around outside on the deck!  Even the dogs love to watch the girls play with their barbies, everyone is really entertained, she can do anything that Barbie girl! Plus such a fashionista, and we make her clothes out of all kinds of things, like old wrapping paper, or scrap fabrics! So Our after school fun with be in the imaginary world of barbie girls, a few lucky kens are always invited to play!  

Community Leader
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 4:24pm

Yay for a doggy walk that didn't leave you with sore arms.  That's an awesome accomplishment Smile  Bummer about your hot water heater going on the fritz.  Hope the new one didn't cost you both arms and both legs.

I like Origami-Club for origami diagrams and how-tos, in case Zeph wanted to fold some paper cranes.  They have printable papers too, in case you don't already have some handy squares lying around waiting to be folded into something.

Sue

Community Leader
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 4:26pm

Sorry the icee maker turned out to be a dud.  Imaginative Barbie play is good too though...just not refreshing on a warm day.  Oh well. Consumer lesson learned, that things aren't always as awesome as they appear to be (especially when marketed to children)!

Sue

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 4:29pm

I finally got my doggie boys scheduled for bath/groom and also Vet apt, and one cat apt to a vet too. I usually do that in April, but just now walking well enough, to do holding pets at the Vet again!

My kids did come home happy as my one home student and I, made yummy/healthy after school treats. I did a little to much subsitution with differing flours and fats so they are a bit crumbly and so that recipe experiment will need work. Yet anything with peanut butter and chocolate will still get eaten here. If they go dry or go stale, the dogs get great, good health treats with flax and stuff for their coats! The bars I made last week from a Magazine recipe were far superior with only minor changes. I should have just used that one again....but I wanted a Oatmeal/ peanut butter/ chip type thing....not sure where I went worng, but still we are eating them!

We only got to spelling, La, math and home ec/consumer skills today. Dance tonight, so music needs to happen now! I am asking for that as I type....ugh. Listen and do people, listen and do! Dinner will have to be out. Almost done with dance for the year, yea! Why dose'nt anyone just do as I ask, what I want ever. Yea...one began so I gotta go help. 

Heather   

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 5:15pm

Glad you got her something she liked.  We have a very nice and reliable snow cone maker from  William Sonoma. it's about 5 years old and it is just a handle attached to an incredibly sharp circular blade on a base.  You freeze water in these plastic cups sized right put it under the blade and turn to get perfectly shaved ice.  Then add flavoring. I just keep the conatiners filled with water in the freezer so when the mood strikes...  We problay need fresh syrups.    I loved Barbies when I was younger.  I had the boat and the camper and the 3 stor ydream house.  I stayed busy for hours.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 5:18pm

Nope, we're renters.  We'll deduct the cost of the unit and installation form our rent check:)    We did notice the floor was damaged from leaking water.  I am unsrue how FIl wants ot handle that. 

I hadn't even thought of making oragami cranes. Thanks for the idea and site. 

Pages