Monday Homeschool Recess 5/13

Community Leader
Monday Homeschool Recess 5/13
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 8:12am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  it's recess time!

Well, the frost doesn't appear to have been too heavy, or widespread.  We can only hope.  Further north could be a different story though, and if so, the fruit crops are damaged.  Sigh. 

DD will be having a 24 hour holter monitor test, to see if there are any heart arrhythmias that would explain her unexplained passing out episode a few weeks ago.  DS is thrilled, because she's supposed to engage in activities that will make her heart work.  The boy has plans for her, ROFL.

Last orchestra rehearsal of the season is tonight.  I'm glad (because I'll have some free evenings) but sad (because within a month I'll be missing playing).  Regardless, I know we'll have fun. We always do.  It's nice to be part of a community group, without the politics.  We're just there to play and learn, and put on three free concerts a year.  Can't beat that!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 8:56am

My poor child woke up (again) all stuffed and coughing, but no fever.  This is a different cough than the last bout. This one is dry and doesn't concern me unlike the last one which was wet and crackly.  He stayed in bed most of yesterday in hopes of feeling better.  His schedule is currently so full that if we miss anything there isn't time to reschedule.  Today is the celebratory last meeting of his Lit Group.  Frodo and I will go (to bring gift cards thank yous to the moms who ran it) but I think DS is going to stay at home.  He's got tennis tonight and I think both will be too much.  I'll see how he is this afternoon. 

Hoping DH will get the old garden boards out of the ground and get the start of the paver bricks in.   I'm ready to get tilled and fenced so we can plant.  He moved most of the pavers to the yard yesterday which was time consuming.     

School this morning.  Hoping to get history, read aloud, math, vocab, and a writing assigment finished today.  I've got some laundry and dishes calling my name too.   I can see the end of his online history class and will be glad to have it finished.  Sadly,  I do not see the end of the math book.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 9:52am

I wish I could do big gardeing. My youngest and I went to buy a very few plants (and we have some seeds) to start on the deck, because Mother's Day means we do that! I have usually cleared old garden debried, turned compost, worked soil with hand tools...and played a lot in the dirt already just to prepare it. This year crappy weather, injury recovery, and all that...and I am so depressed just looking out the window at the undone yard stuff. I love gardening, so it is really hard to not do it.

We hope to get to the pool today. Where again I get to finally kick my legs again, but slowly or with a noodle and not as much fun as when I could swim like crazy...like a free and wild fishy. My youngest loves swimming so I have been trying to concentrate on teaching her seeing I can not swim laps anyway. It is almost depressing, so I have not been at the pool as much. So even my kid is getting flabbier with me. I need to be healed by now, completly, but healing takes way to much time!!!!!!

I can finally read and not forget, due to pain. SO we have been doing that, and making up for time we missed. Yet that still takes lots of stamina to get it all ready and prepared and put away and keep stuff organized. My office looks like a hurricane visitied, due to kids using stuff and not getting it put back correctly and me not having the stamina to go behind them and organize messes.

My whole life style revolves around me haing energy to do everything...and I just do not have it. If I try to much then I have more pain and then my body will just shut down and make me lie in bed and sleep. I tend to over do as I can do, then that is a big backfire. Then depressed I am eating choclate and sugar way to much. The *healthy premade* foods near us are not as good as what I make and we eat usually, so no one wants to eat well. We do not have a whole foods close by, to help with healing and eating well pre-made stuff. It is all costing us in time and money and that is depressing too. 

I guess I really needed to vent. None of my writing projects have even been looked at in a couple months. Besides the occasional blurb that plops into my head and I get into a note book....no of that has happened. So that my fun happy making creativity stuff, is now replaced with a nap generally, and tylenol and advil...I need to buy stock in those companies...I am so tired of taking it. 

Vent, Vent....guess I needed some time to vent. I am unhappy and not well enough. Everyone around me is crankier and I am not doing well with the attituce in mood when my own sucks too. I keep trying to stay positive but difficult, really difficult. I miss my old busy body self a lot. 

:(  Heather 

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 10:26am

I'm taking a recess  while Z does his online history class.  The pups (with antlers) joined us for our read aloud and were like build in heaters.  They have to be as close as possible when I'm sitting down.  Last time they joined us they were noisy, but today they happily chewed and listened.  

We'll get our sunflower seeds in tomorrow, but I don't see us getting the monarch way station planted until early June.  That is going in the old veggie garden and we're using plants (not seeds) to speed up the process.   I need to reread the rules for having it certified because I think we need a water source. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 12:46pm
We are going to use mostly plants if I ever get to anything, I may end up skipping veggie gardening completely, maybe just throw in some seeds and ignore and see if any flowers come up, in the dirt I did not even work. All the flowers will be plants probably but we can throw in a few seeds that may take by July or Aug. after the plants start to die from all this terrible weather we are having. I do have strawberry plants growing in with the weeds, we noticed. Plus a few potato plants we ignored last year are growing again...so whatever is in there, might grow. When I walk around the garden and can not spend a few hours working in it, it just makes me feel depressed. I guess I can do some small planters this year, and not any new science fun projects. I had great plans for some idea's I brewed up in my head last year. I really hate this Spring! H.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 5:59pm

We just got home  Zeph wound up going with Frodo and I.  He hadn't coughed since taking a steamy shower and I think the fresh air and sunshine was probably good for him.  After their scavenger hunt and compare /contrast session, the boys played baseball and baskeball and no coughing then either.  Frodo was a perfect pup. 

I was speakign to a firned of mine abotu our lack of progress in the art history curriuclum.   I'm fine with the history portion, but I feel inept at teaching the actual drawing.  I had forgotten that this friend's son is an amazing artist.  He wil lcome and do the hands on projects with Zeph through the summer.  I think it will be a good solution.   I have no idea what to pay for an hour and half session. 

Zeph is working on  a creative writing assigment and the pups are reuniting with crazy play.   DH is wrapping up today's work on the garden and then he and Z will head to tennis. No idea on dinner.  

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 7:53pm
Chilling out today following months of commuting. There's lentil/rice soup cooking on the stove for tomorrow (usually I make it in the morning, but want to go to work) and another load in the washer. Today I paid bills (electric, sewer, water) for the house I don't live in anymore. dd15 has been driving up to take care of pets twice a day since Saturday...last day is tomorrow. The old dog that is on a couple of medications for life and supposedly doesn't go on walks has been requesting walks. I read more Temeraire to dd15 and advised dd19 on finding references for a lifeguard job she is applying for in our old town. I did a small amount of work...found some parts I need to finish fixing the computer and made a purchase order request. The pool has its new cover and is apparently being warmed, so I've told dd15 that I'll take her swimming when I turn off the soup. Deborah
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 7:55pm
Chilling out today following months of commuting. There's lentil/rice soup cooking on the stove for tomorrow (usually I make it in the morning, but want to go to work) and another load in the washer. Today I paid bills (electric, sewer, water) for the house I don't live in anymore. dd15 has been driving up to take care of pets twice a day since Saturday...last day is tomorrow. The old dog that is on a couple of medications for life and supposedly doesn't go on walks has been requesting walks. I read more Temeraire to dd15 and advised dd19 on finding references for a lifeguard job she is applying for in our old town. I did a small amount of work...found some parts I need to finish fixing the computer and made a purchase order request. The pool has its new cover and is apparently being warmed, so I've told dd15 that I'll take her swimming when I turn off the soup. Deborah
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 9:26pm