Thursday Homeschool Recess 12/27

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 12/27
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 9:04am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Well no snow today...but no sun either.  Oh well.  At least what we got looks pretty.  I haven't talked to dh yet today to find out how his trip into the storm went.  He had to go downstate on a warrant pick-up and I'm sure that wasn't the most fun drive he's ever made, LOL.  Oh well...you get paid to work and if that's where work takes you, so be it.  (We go downstate in storms all the time, taking patient transfers to the bigger hospitals...illness waits for no one.)

I did get dd into the police department last night to report the mugging.  She was reluctant (because of the emotional impact) but knew it had to be done.  Hopefully mall interior surveillance cameras will show the guy on camera somewhere.  He was big so hopefully he can be picked out of the crowd.  That would be nice...and even nicer would be if one of the cops recognized him and knew who he was!  The sergeant who took the report was empathetic, especially when dd had trouble and I told him she already has PTSD.  He also complimented her highly on defending herself the way she did.  He used to teach self defense classes for women at a nearby university, so he has probably a better grasp than most officers as to how difficult what she did was.  She's not up yet, so I haven't talked to her to know how her night was, or if she's recalling any more helpful details.

Today's a busy day.  Laundry is washing right now...the bills to be paid are staring me in the face and can't be ignored much longer.  DD sings for the rotary club's lunchtime meeting at the country club, then has counseling, then has a doctor's appointment.  Between the holiday and my work schedule, there wasn't a good way to spread things out onto different days...so today they are.  I know we'll have some time to kill, so perhaps we'll stop by the Salvation Army store, or have smoothies...or cupcakes (oh, there's a good idea!!!!) or some special little treat. Not the ideal "girls day out" but hey, I work all weekend, so I'll take whatever time I can get with her!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 11:29am

Sue,  I am so glad K1 is making so many positives out of the negative. It is so important to the healing process to be able to find strength in what has caused pain or weakness to our self. I am also glad she is a creative type anyway, because then it is easier to express emotion and get past it better. I think she will grow up to be an amazing woman. Good Job Mom and the good Village people who accept, love and help, everyone!  I am sure home school and more attention give to arts for recovery has got to help her grow stronger thru the negatives, a positive enviornment can not be beat for that !

Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year to you and yours!

Heather

Community Leader
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 8:15am

turtleemom wrote:
<p>Nonfiction with photos too!</p><p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Fog-Untold-Alaskas-Invasion/dp/0545296544/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1356710377&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=ghosts+in+fog" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Fog-Untold-Alaskas-Invasion/dp/0545296544/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1356710377&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=ghosts+in+fog</a></p>

Thanks for the link.  It's wishlisted now.  Oh....hmmmmm...wonder, I bet Barnes & Noble would have it too...now that ds has a $25 gift card to spend there.  I will have to suggest it, because he wanted to spend the $25 on drinks at Starbucks and I'm pretty sure that's not what the retired schoolteacher neighbor who gave him the gc intended that it be spent on Surprised

Sue

Community Leader
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 8:19am

Thanks Heather.  I'm doing everything I can to help her (short of mortgaging my house to send her to inpatient treatment) and I think she's turning a corner (in a positive way) toward better things.  The past couple of months have been really really rough, with the abuse surfacing, and that's made her feel down because she felt like she isn't making any progress (because on a diagnostic criteria list, she was hwere she was 6 months ago).  I pointed out to her that finding out she'd been abused knocked her recovery way back...like...9 months...which means that she's already come forward 3 months if she's where she was 6 months ago!  I think she gave that some hard thought and realized that I'm right, because she's been much more positive and responding to us since that time.  Having a great Christmas and feeling lots of love and caring hasn't hurt any, either.

Sue

Pages