Thursday Homeschool Recess 12/27

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 12/27
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 9:04am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Well no snow today...but no sun either.  Oh well.  At least what we got looks pretty.  I haven't talked to dh yet today to find out how his trip into the storm went.  He had to go downstate on a warrant pick-up and I'm sure that wasn't the most fun drive he's ever made, LOL.  Oh well...you get paid to work and if that's where work takes you, so be it.  (We go downstate in storms all the time, taking patient transfers to the bigger hospitals...illness waits for no one.)

I did get dd into the police department last night to report the mugging.  She was reluctant (because of the emotional impact) but knew it had to be done.  Hopefully mall interior surveillance cameras will show the guy on camera somewhere.  He was big so hopefully he can be picked out of the crowd.  That would be nice...and even nicer would be if one of the cops recognized him and knew who he was!  The sergeant who took the report was empathetic, especially when dd had trouble and I told him she already has PTSD.  He also complimented her highly on defending herself the way she did.  He used to teach self defense classes for women at a nearby university, so he has probably a better grasp than most officers as to how difficult what she did was.  She's not up yet, so I haven't talked to her to know how her night was, or if she's recalling any more helpful details.

Today's a busy day.  Laundry is washing right now...the bills to be paid are staring me in the face and can't be ignored much longer.  DD sings for the rotary club's lunchtime meeting at the country club, then has counseling, then has a doctor's appointment.  Between the holiday and my work schedule, there wasn't a good way to spread things out onto different days...so today they are.  I know we'll have some time to kill, so perhaps we'll stop by the Salvation Army store, or have smoothies...or cupcakes (oh, there's a good idea!!!!) or some special little treat. Not the ideal "girls day out" but hey, I work all weekend, so I'll take whatever time I can get with her!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 9:27am

It's good she decided to talk to the police.  Some mom/daughter time today is a good idea!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 9:58am

Zeph is building a Lego Set.  DH and the dogs are still sleeping.  Zeph is going to see The Hobbit (again) with a friend to celebrate the friend's birthday.  Pizza to follow.  He'll be gone most of the afternoon/evening.  DH thought this was a good time for us to have some 'couple time''.  My idea of couple time this afternoon is getting some help around the house and out in the yard.  I don't think that's what he had in mindWink.     

Zeph received the book, Bomb, as a gift. We're all reading it.  He started it and after hearing him talk about it, we are all reading it so we can talk about it. It;s about the people behind the making of the atomic bomb and while it is non fiction, it reads like a novel.  it gives a good picture of the scientific community back then and what spying looked like.  I knew he woudl liek it, but I didn't expect that I would too.   

I did get my calendar done yesterday.  I am happy to report no scheduling conflicts yet!   I am waiting to hear on the dates for homeschool bowling and wood carving.  Zeph is signed up to be part of a science sustainability pilot program put on by IIT for homeschoolers.  They have the resources to offer something amazing.  I'm waiting on the day/time and hoping it does not interfere with anything else.  I'm also waiting impatiently to hear back from is favorite professor about signing him up for a an adult ed class.  I'll be waiting a while as the school is on shut down for winter break.  Zeph may be on break but I'm working on the schedule. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 11:36am

Sue...geez what a streak of bad luck. Sometimes the world can be so cold and hard to deal with and for such a young one, dislike button on that. I have been busy in my real world village and home so no time for the larger world village. Healthcare for a few, me included to do, driving me batty trying to keep up. Kids and mess...I can not stand after Christmas scatter....so I instantly go into everyone gets a garbage bag mode with that. I gave everyone a small laundry basket to contain gifts so they could take them away. Our school table is now Lego building central and my busy builders are having a great time. One is building her own winter village (post office and later a cottage home) and the other has Harry Potters Diagon Alley, set. I guess we put them together and have a bit of England in Winter....or an old English Holiday? So we can read some Shakespear over the Lego's and cast a spell perhaps?  I don't know but I am glad they are staying busy. My office is a clutter catcher yet again for home school mess! 

I will probably run low on food again soon as no one here wants to leave creative play and fun to go out, even for food. So that means I gotta be the collector of groceries! I tried to keep healthy stuff in the holiday food but I still think we had more than enough sugar treats to stay high at play on sugar! So hope to lessen the impact from that and find whole fresh foods in the grocer. Lucky for me concentrating on lap swims has kept the holiday weight away, so glad I maintained that active path thru the holiday. Yet...things like optimal hand washing activity and clutter maintaince, cooking whole foods and other good lifestyle choices have taken a hit, and I need to keep up my positive habits or the juggler suffers under a weight of bowling balls crashing down from loss of good rhythum and focus in the act!    I bough a buch of movies and a popcorn maker seeing no one ever wants to leave home, so we could enjoy that more here, seeing no one ever wants to leave my bed and breakfast. Sometimes I want to kick everyone out....but that is my problem not theres!

Have a great day....whatever day it is on your calander...Mayan, Roman, or other!

What time is it? I only know by what meal is requested next....what is for breakfast, when is dinner? Kids are great little time machines!

Heather     

Community Leader
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 8:13am

I'll have to look for the book you mentioned, Heather.  It sounds like something I'd enjoy reading...and might be able to get ds to read, as well.  He's starting to share my love for WWII. I recently read him the newest book on the Navajo Code Talkers (the biography of the last of the original code talkers that is still living).

The science sustainability program sounds fascinating.  I hope it'll work out for you guys to participate and I'll be looking forward to learning more about it.  Soon Wink

Sue

Community Leader
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 8:16am

Picturing the mixture of Lego sets, Heather, with a giggle or two.  Enjoy the rest of your family time this week, and hopefully the clutter-busters will sneak in overnight and straighten up for you so you don't have to Wink

Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 9:38am
Next up for us to read is Ghosts in the Fog which is about the Japanese invasion and occupation of the Aleutian Islands of Alaska.

Community Leader
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 10:22am

turtleemom wrote:
Next up for us to read is Ghosts in the Fog which is about the Japanese invasion and occupation of the Aleutian Islands of Alaska.

That sounds interesting, as well.  Fiction or non-fiction?

Sue

Community Leader
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 10:34am

Oops, so I totally forgot the huge positive for Thursday!  Remember dd was supposed to be one of several teens performing for the Rotary Club meeting?  Well, she ended up being the only one...the other two decided to skip town and not perform!  So, she sang 3 of her songs instead of just the 1 she'd planned on.  (She made her teacher cry Wink)  Two of the songs were about her recovery process, and because of that, she had to explain to the listeners that she is an abuse survivor so that her songs would make sense to the listening audience.  One of the ladies who was sitting at our table is the executive director for the local women's and children's shelter...the "clearinghouse", if I may, for providing housing, legal, and recovery services for victims of abuse!  Talk about being in the right place at the right time.  She was very moved by dd's songs and would like to have dd come to the shelter and sing for the women there.  (The lady has also been a foster parent in the past...she told me that she and her husband fostered over 100 abused teenage girls, so she has a definitely interest in that age group and doing what she can to help them.)  DD has been pondering how to approach the shelter and make a musical connection (and she'd also like to raise money for the shelter), so meeting the director was definitely a good thing!  I'm excited for the connection she's made.

Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-28-2012 - 11:15am
That is a huge positive!

Pages