Thursday Homeschool Recess 1/24

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 1/24
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 8:38am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

I just love Thursdays.  I get to sit around all day, not at home in my comfy chairs, and feel like I've wasted the whole day and accomplished absolutely nothing.  Ah, the joys of co-op day (with co-op followed by counseling).  I'll at least get most school stuff done with ds, and I'll have lots and lots of time to read.  Oh yes, so I should be happy, certainly?

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 11:51am

We should all just be happy, but sometimes that takes more work than we have time for, wishing you something good to read! Maybe some happy articles in magzines as you wait. Sometimes the articles make me mad, because they have great suggestions that I would like to do but maybe do not have time or money to do. So I often carry a book *(novel) around to places with me. Or leave one in the car, so I can enjoy a story with characters who may not be having it easy with happiness, money or time either. Characters are sometimes better than friends, that sit around at places and complain about not being happy either! Right now I am reading a very happy novel....(yet the characters do have problems) about a group of girlfriends on vacation at a warm beach and they are great friends, yet even at the beach, not all are super happy! How is that? I would be so super happy at the beach right now, not in negative temps with no children,just friends! The novel is great for a warm thoughts read in cold weather....then we can have book club and discuss it here! It is "Summer Rental" by Mary Kay Andrews....wonder did her mother get rich at sales for Mary Kay cosmetics and so named her that!

I have a bunch of taxi work and one kid gets teeth pulled, geez, back to the dentist, I was just there yesterday for my own cleaning! So not enough pajama time here either. On a Happy note it might snow another inch tonight and everything covered in a light dusting of white does make me feel happy, in the cold of winter!

So far....we did do the 3 R's and viola practice, so  school is being done here!

Yeah...check mark on the to-do list! That brings a tiny touch of happy! When on a diet takes some happy away, I really look harder for something to mark as happy-ness maker.

I hope you find a dollar in your coat pocket or something, all I seem to find are wads of old tissues! NOT HAPPY! YUCK.

Heather

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 12:16pm

Slow moving morning here. We were up bright and early, but Zeph got involved with buidling and I with cleaning and time disappeared.  We just finished pumpkin pancakes and sausage (bananas too).  It was all delicious, but now no idea for dinner since pancakes were the plan. 

About to start history--quite a bit today and then we are off to the library to do some other work and get some books and dvds for history (Glory and Gettysburg).  Then the pet store and finally the grocery store. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 2:57pm

Back from dentist, all went well. I made it home safe with the teen driver, who got a little practice time marked off her to-do list! Now....I get 30 minutes to decide what is for dinner, before taxi pick up and drop offs happen and then it will be time to make said dinner. I thought about making something my Dad would eat, it is his birthday, so I think about him. Yet, he has to eat in heaven. So guess he does not care, that we are going to have soft food choice instead, seeing the one kid had extractions. Pancakes sound good, maybe a good idea for tomorrow, as she needs a few days of soft foods to heal. Probably soup and salad for those who can chew. Potato soup and chicken ceasar salad...I have been marinating some chicken to grill for that. Thanks for helping me decide! Maybe this weekend we will have a nod to Dad type meal. He liked fish and I have some in the freezer, so maybe that!  He liked pie and I love to make pie....maybe I will look up a weight watcher type friendly one for that! OK...times almost up for my stop here, so better get!

Heather

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 4:08pm

What science curriculum do y'all use for your kiddos? What grades are you teaching?

Julie (35)
Texas 

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-24-2013 - 4:26pm

Seriously, are there any plans to get the ivillage database problems fixed?  I clicked Reply, signed in, scrolled down, Reply again, Reply again, signed in again...then I got a box to write in.  (Even recently I sometimes haven't been able to sign in at all.  Maybe that is why there are only four people posting on Recess now.)

So...our three town days are now M,Tu,W...and so far on Tuesday I am only going to the closest town.  So today is planned to be a slow day here.  I had to do some work at the office, and went up the hill to pick up the letters from before from the little tiny vintage boxes we used to use because apparentlyour modern mailbox main door was stuck and the mail lady could not get it open yesterday or the day before.  I was lucky enough to see her as I was leaving and able to pick up five packages (including 3 textbooks for ds) from Tuesday and Wednesday.  I should go check the mail now...waiting for two books for dd19.  I wonder if the mailbox is still stuck?  Yesterday dd19 went swimming and to Ultimate frisbee with a homeschooling friend while I taught violin and dd19 went to art class.  And I gave ds his stuff and we visited relatives and came home in the dark, not my favorite thing.  There were three rollovers in our county last week, with 2 fatalities and one serious injury (broken neck and internal ... we went by right after that happened...a man swerved to avoid a puppy).  So far today I haven't had any time to work on my overdue project...spent a couple of hours upgrading software and figuring out an internet connectivity problem.  dh and I figured it out between us: he realized there had to be a duplicate address, and I guessed who it was...the address had been assigned but not put in the list, so it got assigned again.  So now I have walked down the mountain twice, let my husband forage for leftovers for lunch (he fried two eggs and added it to leftover beans, lentil soup, and yogurt...then finished off with cheap ice cream and cheap chocolate.  Of course.  One book came in the mail, not dd19's printmaking book for the class she's "sitting in", nor the math book for the work she's doing with me, but...a book about fiction writing (one of several, I now seem to remember), for some writing work she's doing with me.  So...I'm going to chill out here until 4 p.m. and then take dd15 to play with horses.

Deborah

Community Leader
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 1:16am

Hbak20 Heather, I carry my Kindle Fire in my purse pretty much always, and I've been reading much more since I became a Kindle owner.  I figure something good has to come from all the sitting and waiting I do (at least on Thursday!)

Sue

Community Leader
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 1:24am

Turtleemom Heather, have you thought about visiting Gettysburg in your travels?  And/or Antietam, since they're not that far apart.  Both have very good interactive visitor centers, plus you can of course do a self-guided tour of the various portions of the battlefields.  I loved my visits there and I was young enough to not even be a history buff yet, LOL.  (Both were about 1/2 hour...in opposite directions...from my maternal grandparents' fruit farm.)

Sue

Community Leader
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 1:28am

Julie, I am helping a 5th & 10th grader learn.  The 10th grader uses Apologia biology, and the 5th grader wanted to learn chemistry, so we are using The Elements http://www.ellenjmchenrydownloads.com/.

Sue

Community Leader
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 1:32am

Deborah, they continue to work on the problems and hopefully someday they'll be fixed.  One thing that seems to work better and bypass having to log in multiple times is if you make sure you're signed in using the link at the top of the page (where it says "Hello, muddymessalonskee" if you're logged in).  Unfortunately, the system doesn't seem to be saving the log-ins, so you still have to log in each time you visit the site, but if you log in there first before starting to read or post, there aren't as many hassles with actually being able to post.  Or, at least, this has been working for me.  I hope one day soon it'll magically work the way it's supposed to again, though!

Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 9:04am

I have only been able to log in from a post, but  my desktop has remembered me remembered me for the past 2-3 days!  My laptop is a whole nother story!   I still don't see where I can retrieve PMs. 

Pages