Thursday Homeschool Recess 1/31

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 1/31
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 2:46am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

I totally apologize for not posting recess on Wednesday!  DD and I got up at 7 and left at 7:30, for a breakfast date, a couple of quick errands, her music lesson, and then I drove her an hour away to meet other friends and get a ride to the west coast of the state where she's spending the weekend. I got home and got right busy doing school with ds and totally forgot about recess!!!!  Oh well.  I'm sure y'all survived.

DS has co-op today...just German since his art teacher (dd) is out of town so art class is cancelled, LOL.  He always practices on the pipe organ at church on Thursdays with grandma, and helps her fold the bulletin too.  Supposedly he'll be arriving home about the time I get up. At least he won't have idle time while I sleep.  

He started making a cool scarf for dd yesterday...it was an idea I saw somewhere online and pinned on my Pinterest.  You stitch together 5" fabric squares to be one side of the scarf, and then sew that strip (right sides together) to a strip of 5" wide Minkee fleece (the really fuzzy supersoft fleece).  Turn it inside out and slip stitch the end shut and voila, a scarf that's warm and fuzzy on your neck, and quilted on the outside.  When we shopped for the fleece, we found a "charm pack" (30 coordinating pre-cut 5" squares bundled together) that had 3 different owl prints among the other designs, so we didn't even have to cut squares.  Yay, gotta love that.  He got them all sewed together and seams pressed open yesterday while I read, and today we'll probably pin it to the fleece so he can stitch that.  He does well with the sewing machine (straight seams especially, LOL).  I hope she loves the scarf.  I think it's so cute already.  He did a nice job of coordinating the colors and prints.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 8:34am

How lucky to find owl prints!  How lucky for your DD to have such a sweet brother!  Hope she has a good and healthy weekend away.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 8:44am

I've taken care of dishes and some laundry and make vet appointments. Buffy is stinky and I can't tell if she needs a bath or is having gland issues.  Frodo is scrathing his ears alot and shaking his head and I think he has an ear infection.  We've got a bit of school this morning-history and reading.  Then DS and I are off to Legoland:)  He's really almost too old for the place, but he wanted to go once more and they were running a great midweek deal and we're going with friends who have a son 4 years younger but is Lego crazy.  The boys will have fun together and DS will not feel so out of place there with a younger kid.  DH is on his way home from New Jersey.  it will be nice to have him home.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 5:01pm

Hi!

I just saw this thread... I remember how enjoyable recess was as a child, so I thought I woud jump in.

I homeschool my 8 year old son. My girls (16 and 5) go to public school. My oldest kid is 24 and lives on his own and does't call his mom nearly enough. :)

I've been a member at iVillage for EVER.... but I am new to the board. I guess I am just looking for a place to fit in. 

Ann ~ Ma to Alex 18, Mom to McKenzie 9, Mommy to Logan 20 months and home to the little sprout ... due February 21.

&nbsp

Community Leader
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 1:01am

Heather turtleemom...awwwwww, no way Zeph can be getting too old for Legoland.  That's just not right!!!  Glad he got to go with someone he could enjoy it with.  I know ds would love to go...well he's been but he was too little to remember it!  

Glad dh is on his way home.  Hope the doggy odor/ear issues get sorted out, preferably without difficulty.

I'm glad we found owl prints too.  Owls are so very in now so it's not that hard to find them...but they only had two choices in charm print packs and only one had owls!  DS started sewing the front and back of the scarf together and it's looking awesome.  It's bright, LOL!  (Glad she likes pretty much any color...anytime...anywhere...including orange!)

Sue

Community Leader
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 1:03am

Hi sportsbabe!  I'm glad you decided to come play.  Our playground is very friendly Cool  How long have you been hsing your son?  Did you hs any of your others kids as well?  My kids are 15 & 10 and we've hsed forever, plus I was hsed grades 9-12, a very very long time ago LOL.  (Shhhh, we won't be mentioning an exact number of years.)

Sue

Community Leader
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 3:26am

DS got so bored without sister around that he did math for 2 hours...and liked it!  He looked at the pre-algebra section and decided it looked like fun, and he thought he could get a "platinum" (meaning, no questions wrong).  So he did two lessons and did get his platinum.  Then he was looking at what remains for 5th grade math and decided the lessons on telling time looked "platinum" too...so he did those 3 lessons.  He started in on the "measuring distance" section next (distance = speed x time) but made a silly mistake (went to type "0" but hit enter instead, making the answer incorrect) so there went the platinum.  He finished the lesson just fine though and started on the next section (using the same equation to calculate speed) but accidentally closed the page when his battery was going dead, so he decided that was enough math for the day, LOL.

Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 11:17am
WelCOME, we are very supportive and tolerant and helpful to everyone on this board. We do have opinions, but never let it get in the way of encouragement and care for all! So do stay and play for recess!