Thursday Homeschool Recess 2/14

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 2/14
Thu, 02-14-2013 - 7:57am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Happy Discount Candy Eve!  LOL, j/k.  I hope there's some special treat of your choice awaiting you at some point this day.  I would love to be a mouse in my own kitchen right about now.  Each of the kiddos was planning on getting up early and making heart-shaped pancakes for the other.  I wonder who will win that race?  Actually, it'll be ds...since I tipped off dd (not knowing she was going to do the same).  I said maybe she could make him a heart-shaped egg to go with his pancakes, LOL.  I'm glad they like each other, at least!

Today is co-op day...I wonder if ds will get any valentines.  There are several little girls who are sweet on him, LOL.  He would be so embarrassed Wink  I found out late last night that I have a rehearsal to attend tonight after work, so I won't even get any quality time with any of my people today.  Good thing we had a game night followed by a snuggling on the couch night last night!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-14-2013 - 8:59am

Happy Valentines day to all the hard working parents! I did wake up to coffee made, so that was nice! It is also a time to consider lent for myself and I have put in a lot of thought. I have made great spiritual growth by using the 40 days to do good works or undo many bad habits. A commitment to God is the most important and it is a one on one thing, God to person, always expands my prayer life and spiritual blessings, to observe it. So one thing I am doing is less media time. It gets in the way of more prayer time, reflection and keeping the mind free-er of clutter. There will be clutter, this is the real world! Yet, to focus on removing mind clutter and adding positive thoughts/prayers (whatever u believe) can be very significant and life changing. So that means less recess for me. I will pray send postive messages to all home ed. buds but avoid message boards. Plus all the issues of getting on the page are time consuming in themselves for cutting out more media for clear thought time instead.

Blessings be with you all~

We all need them in the real world, if we know it or not!

Heather        

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-14-2013 - 9:03am

Good morning.  DS surprised me with homemade cards from him and the pups this morning. He put work into  them and cleverness too!  I surprised DS with the news that we were dropping regular schoolwork and going to the zoo today. It should be in the 40s and hoping the snow and rain will hold off until we get home.  Poor DH forgot.  He's been traveling so much I have no ill feellings.  He did say that we would go out tonight for dinner. A night off of cooking and school- WooHoo!

DS was happy to receive the cards from family.  I'm glad I held them back for today.  I thin it made them more special.  With 4 grandmas he made out in the cash department!  I rememebr when it was exciting to get a quarter in with my card!

Can I add that DS wants to take his history test so he can move on to the next lesson- it sounds exciitng.  He wants to work some more on his AP Eouropean flash cards, because he's enjoying it.  Oh and can we still read more int he 2 books?  So much for the day off of school:)  

Community Leader
Thu, 02-14-2013 - 3:13pm

Heather hbka20 I hope your 40 days will re-energize you.  Hopefully they'll have the the log-in issues working a whole lot better when you come back.  If you are around, try logging in at the top of the page (where it says "Hello, hbka20" when you're logged in.  Log in there first before you start to read the board or post and you shouldn't have as much trouble.  At least, I haven't since I started doing it that way.

Heather turtleemom, awwwww how sweet of the dogs children fur and otherwise to give you valentines :-)  Enjoy your "no cooking or school" day.  I think that's highly appropriate for today Wink  Anything special at the zoo today?  Yay for Zeph wanting to take his history test.  He's a motivated young'un!

Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-15-2013 - 9:45am

Nothing special at the zoo excpet us:)  He and I haven't had a spontaneous field trip excursion in a while, so it  made the day special. While it was in the 30s, the sun was out with little wind. The place was deserted! When we got there only 11 cars in the lot and less when we left. The animals were active and we really got to spend some time observing.some cool behaviors, We had a great conversation wiht a zoo intern as she was observing the rock hyrax- she shared all about her internship and we helped her do her observation notes.   All over favorite moment was the wolves howling, so haunting and beautiful. I love that Zeph is willing to spend 15 minutes or more observing one animal. So much better than the run here and there of toddler years.

I had hoped he wasn't expecting a tangible gift. We're really trying to get away from that for these minor holidays. He was in good spirits so I think he was pleased.

We didn't wind up out for dinner since we couldnt; get a reservation in anywhere i wanted to go.  That was kind of expected last minute.  

Community Leader
Mon, 02-18-2013 - 7:34am

Sounds like a great day at the zoo.  I love it when places are deserted and you can spend time observing like that!  Neat that Zeph got to help the intern with her report, too.

Sue