Thursday Homeschool Recess 2/21

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 2/21
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 8:30am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Well, the issues of teasing at co-op took care of themselves for this week.  DD has pleurisy and won't be at co-op at all.  She's lying low trying to recover so she can still sing in the concert on Sunday.  She's dying because it's hurt too much to sing this week...don't take away the girl's voice, whatever you do, LOL.  DS will still go to German class, and the kids have counseling this afternoon, which will still take place.  I'm hoping to meet up after that with a former work partner who is back in town interviewing for a job at the local 911 center.  Hope she gets the job so she can move back up here!  (Why would they not want to hire someone who worked at one of the best 911 centers in the country, LOL?)

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Community Leader
Fri, 02-22-2013 - 12:17pm

Ugh, how awful that the other moms and kids weren't nicer to your friend and her son Frown  You're right though..at least with hsing you can intervene and redirect and hopefully the behaviors are nipped in the bud a whole lot better than they would be.  I see that in our co-op too though.  Most of the moms go to church together, so they just sit and chatter together at co-op.  That's ok, I just read my book.  It's my uninterrupted time and I don't need to be a social bee, LOL.  I'm not there all the time anyway.

Yay that dh will be home.  I hope the weather in the mid-section of the country doesn't mess up his travel at all! 

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 9:47am

Yeah!  DH is coming home tonight! He's been gone all this week and I miss him. This is week 3 of the travel craziness.  He had a great time in San Antonio (yep, we didn't get to go again).  I know it is important for him to connect with the employees at headquarters and feel part of the team, but I like him here being part of my team.

Lots of school today. When DH is gone like this we tend to work breakfast to bedtime. Short breaks in between, but long days of work.  Today is 2 lap book projects, 2 CIvil War lessons to read and highlight, a writing assignment, and his last penmanship assignment.  A math and a vocab lesson, along with 2 World history lessons, our read aloud, and reading from Lee and Grant with notetaking rounds out the day.  

I'd like to get some dishes done and the dogs need some intellectual stimulation.    

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 9:30am

Pleurisy? I didn't know that was still a thing!  Isn't that what Mrs. Mike had that caused her to move to Canada?  Hope she is better soon.

So my friend and her son came to bowling yesterday.  This was their first homeschool thing and they were very excited. I think she was utterly let down. Ugh! The other moms sat and kept to themselves- said hi but did not go out of their way to get to know her.  Two boys on the opposing team were mean with teasing about the new boy's bowling skills and how tall he was and name calling was unbelievable.  As my friend was in quiet tears (her son was in angry tears) because the bullying followed her son (why she is homeschooling) I went to the organizer mom of the league.  She spoke to the offenders and they kind of backed off.   She did share with me the same kids are pulling the same crap at woodworking too.  Interesting since DS was blamed by one of their moms for instigating and now he isn't in  the class and it is still going on.

Where were the responsible adults?  Those 2 boys get dropped off. One of the boy's sister is dying of leukemia and I know his family life is stressful and he is getting shipped from one person to another, while mom and dad deal wiht docs. It is obvious that he has no outlet for his stress and no one is guiding him in growing up. The other boy is just mean.  His mom showed up half way through and then behavior changed drastically- like Eddie Hascall.  

I was pleased as could be that DS and his good friend were supportive of the new boy and did what they could to make him feel welcome.  I told my friend that a benefit of homeschooling is that while you can't stop kids from being mean you can intervene and redirect as it is happening.  It was just a poor way to be introduced to the homeschooling world.