Thursday Homeschool Recess 3/14

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 3/14
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 12:44am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Thursday already?  Is it me, or does it seem like the week is speeding past?  I know my two days off didn't feel like two days.  I'm not sure what they did feel like but they didn't feel like two days.

Today is co-op day, and it's decades day.  Not sure what decade dd will represent.  She could easily go with "big hair" though, ROFL.  DS just got his finished tie-dye projects from youth group, so I suggested he could represent the 60s.  At first he said he wasn't going to but then he changed his mind.  He tie-dyed a shirt and also a piece of fabric, so he's going to wear the shirt and we'll make the fabric into a headband.  I'm sure he'll be cute, even if he doesn't win anything, LOL.  

DS and my dad went out comet watching last night.  My dad thinks he might have barely seen it but he wasn't sure.  I think it'll be a bit brighter the next few nights, so maybe we'll be lucky and have clear skies and get a better glimpse of it.  Seems like lately when there's been something of celestial interest, it's been overcast.  

DD liked her new nutrionist and feels good that she is seeing a nutrionist again, to keep her better on track with eating and help her overcome issues with food.  She rarely purges, but it can still be hard for her to eat and she has guilt feelings associated with that, so having someone she's accountable to will be a good thing.  We're lucky to have professionals who are a good fit for her personality-wise and who she feels confident in.  She knows, from friends and acquaintances, that not everyone is blessed in that way.  She hears horror stories about other people's counselors...and parents, etc.  She is of the firm belief that not everyone should be a parent, LOL.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 9:37am

Why is it so many who enjoy creating children, do not do well in parenting children? I agree not everyone should be a parent. I encourage my kids to not be parents....ever...LOL. It is a good sex education stance, for girls! Do NOT be me....and seeing all I do as a parent, without a supportive extended family... I have atleast the oldest saying she may never have children! Yea, my sex ed. abstainance program is working so far! There is always a method behind my maddness! I can always grandparent community children, if I do not get my own! Seeing I was born a nurture/parent/teacher type!  

The two returned to community schools today, well enough for the wear of the day. My student at home is sleeping in, I guess she really is a bit ill. When she is up we have plenty of work to do. Even if she complains, it will need to be done. Speak of the Angel....she is awake now. SO I better go boss her around before she does it to me!

Heather 

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 2:36pm

I just woke up.  I hate sleeping away half of the day.  When I got up this morning I could barely stand due to a migraine.  I took some Advil, some pop and went back to bed.    I feel much better now.  I haven't had one like that in ages.  

Today is Family Day and  we will look through Zeph's Korea box and watch the video us meeting him at the airport.  I'll read The Day We Met You and Love You Forever and he will squirm because he's a tween and I'm being really sappy but inside he'll be happy I'm keeping up the tradition.   I assume we're going out to dinner.  My dad him this morning to tell him how happy he is to be a grandpa and that Zeph is part of the family.  My dad also gave him the day off of school.  Who am I to argue? 

Community Leader
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 1:23am

Awwww I love your Family Day traditions...squirming tween and all Wink  LOL at grandpa giving Zeph the day off from school, too.  You're right...can't argue with that!

Sue

Community Leader
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 1:25am

Totally forgot about it being Pi Day.  Did anyone celebrate, LOL?  We stopped at Grand Traverse Pie on our way home and everybody picked out a slice of pie to take home and eat after dinner.  My peach cherry was awesomely good (got one for dh as well), ds had rhubarb, and dd had chocolate pecan.

Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 12:00pm
Yes...An excuse for Pie is never missed opportunity for us. We had Lemon Supreme....from Bakers Square. It should be a family tradition to have Pie on Pie day! We all like that kind so grabbed one to go home and enjoy!
Community Leader
Sat, 03-16-2013 - 8:20am

hbka20 wrote:
Yes...An excuse for Pie is never missed opportunity for us. We had Lemon Supreme....from Bakers Square. It should be a family tradition to have Pie on Pie day! We all like that kind so grabbed one to go home and enjoy!

Ooooh yummy, lemon pie.  That sounds good, too.  And yes, definitely Pie on Pi Day!  I have made completely pie-themed meals in the past (shepherd's pie for dinner in my heart-shaped pie dish, plus pie for dessert) but with Pi Day on Thursday (co-op day) plus in the middle of my two nights of working plus counseling plus a staff meeting at work, we were doing good to have time to eat leftovers for supper, much less find time to buy pie.  LOL.  Still good to celebrate and we all enjoyed our slices very much.  Do you have Grand Traverse Pie in your neck of the woods?  I know they're not just in MI but I don't know how far throughout the Great Lakes region they've spread.  Hmmmmmm.  Nope, I looked.  They have just one location outside MI...and that's in IN.  Oh well.  Sigh.  I thought they'd expanded more than that but I guess not.

Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-16-2013 - 3:34pm

Turns out he was worried I would think him to old to read the books and he was looking forward to it!  I totally forgot to hang up his welcome home sign that I had made, so we hung it that night and will leave it up for a few days. 

Community Leader
Sun, 03-17-2013 - 8:08pm

turtleemom wrote:
<p>Turns out he was worried I would think him to old to read the books and he was looking forward to it!  I totally forgot to hang up his welcome home sign that I had made, so we hung it that night and will leave it up for a few days. </p>

Awwww...that's sweet.  I'm glad he still wants the stories Smile

Sue