Thursday Homeschool Recess 4/11

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 4/11
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 7:49am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

OK, I am officially done with the rain.  Go away, it's time for sunshine and warm temps now.  Seriously.  The big river hasn't even crested yet, so another day of rising water, more roads closing, and now trees and wires going down from the wind.  I'd have rather stayed home today, than go out in it and put up with ringing phones today.  Sigh.  Oh well, I have the weekend off...such as it is Undecided

DD posted these pics yesterday

but she may not be alive anymore because she also posted a video of ds meowing like a cat in his sleep!  I'm not sure what they'll be doing today.  Yesterday they stayed at the hotel...had a nice breakfast together, did some laundry, watched a movie, and evidently didn't annoy each other too badly LOL.  They never called last night so I don't have updates or today's plans.

I finished another slouchy hat last night and if I may say so, it's pretty cute.  The yarn was variegated and ended up with a pretty tweedy look, which is cool.  DD approved of the texted photo, but of course, a pic is never as good as the real thing.  Now i have a silky medium blue to make a hat out of.  Debating whether to make the same pattern (which was my original plan) or dig out a different pattern that would use that weight of yarn.  Mmmmmm.  I have until this evening to decide Wink

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 7:58am

Looks like they had a fun day off and kept entertained.  What a great trip for them.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 8:21am

Frodo looks so cute in his thunder shirt.  I don't know if it helped with his anxiety, but it did give him something else to think about rather than the thunder.  He wasn't shaking, just snuggled up close.   He is a good sport about wearing it, though Buffy trying to take it off of him.  I think he needs more clothes.  He'd be cute to dress for outings.

This morning Zeph has a lap book project to work on (prominent authors of the 20th century).  He needs to go to Shel Silvephrstein's page ansd read his bio and read a bio of Frank Baum too.  We're still reading Wizard of Oz and we'll add in some Silverstein poetry today too. Recite it is more accurate, since we both love his poems and know many by heart. Also hoping to fit in a vocabulary lesson.

We are off to the roller rink mid morning.  I rounded up 4 of his friends to meet us there.  It is a needed physical expenditure of energy.  We've felt cooped up with the rain.  A late lunch afterwards followed by a math lesson, a literature lesson, and maybe an art history lesson.  We'll finish watching Titanic tonight too.  DS has never seen it before and was dismayed when after the first tape (yes it's on a videotape) it was bed time.  We're also working on 20th century disasters.  He's read all the library books on the Titanic in the juvenile seciton and some in the adult, so this seemed a fun tie in.  We also read a book on the Three MIle Island incident.  I'm trying to find an appropriate Simpsons episde (oxymoron?) as a tie in. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 9:10am

With the help of SImpsons Wiki and Amazon On Demand, I found the perfect SImpsons episode and it is ready to stream.  I also forgot to mention that this evening we have been invited to a book launch of a nonfiction book written by a group of homeschoolers.  These teens are part of a project based learning group.  We're going to hear them speak on how the book came about, their research methods, etc.  I looked into the group last summer for Zeph and decided to hold off, but he is interested for next year. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 11:09am

I didn't walk to work with dh...house safety, electricity, water, and heat pump inspection at 9. This morning I got up at 4 because I couldn't get back to sleep and cleaned the kitchen. (We have the reverse of house elves in our house...the kitchen mysteriously gets messy and no one did it.) Also I vacuumed the living room and the hall, fed & watered the cats, that sort of thing. dd15 has relapsed completely into Teen Sleep Mode by now...it took a few weeks after her trip. So she and dd19 are still asleep. We DO NOT have any activities that need the car, although I will probably drive to the Safety Meeting, and maybe take the dd's to practice driving. Deborah

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 12:00pm

I should try the thunder shirt for my Collie. He is the dog I do not usually dress up, but he does shake and get anxious with loud storms, especially this time of year, when it is all new and seems more loud. He also will shake if the people yell to much, very sensitive. He will stand in front of me, if he thinks someone is to loud around me....my protector! It is very sweet. My poodle likes clothes after he has haircuts because he gets cold adjusting to less hair and also sometimes is itchy, if it is cut short, plus he is just fun to dress up!  

Snow day off here. Not much snow just ice mostly. I find myself tired and I even slept in. Yet, I am walking a lot better today than I have since my knee injury. I did Physical therapy better yesterday(at the pool), lower level intensity and targeted areas, so I was able to sleep ok...woke some, but slept enough. Today is PJ day and I am going to just be lazy, as I heal. Nap, eat...maybe read some history! Oh, and the kids...they are here to bug me, love me, and drive each other and the pets crazy. The excel at crazy behavoir.  Plus noisy, and messy....usually.

Heather   

Community Leader
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 2:34pm

Heather, pictures of Frodo in his thunder shirt are absolutely required!  Poor baby...storms are no fun for some darling critters.  We had a poodle who would notify us hours before a storm's impending arrival, LOL.

The book by the hsed teen group sounds cool.  I hope Zeph will be able to participate in the group if he still has the desire when the time is right. 

Great that you found the perfect Simpsons episode.  What did we do before internet...and streaming...and all that's at our fingertips now!

Sue

Community Leader
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 2:36pm

Heather hbak20, I thought of you when I saw pics on the morning news of the ice storm.  We dodged that bullet last night...it stayed a tad above freezing, though today it has not risen from that tad, not one measly degree!  (Meaning, it's raining and 34 degrees and windy....what happened to April and warm sunshine?????)  They're still saying snow and ice for tonight, so the bullet may still find its target, but I'll be on my weekend off so I won't care by then, LOL.

Take extra care of your knee if you have to go outside...don't want you slipping and doing further damage!

Sue

Community Leader
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 2:41pm

Deborah, I hate those house elves!  I can come home from work...find something amiss...and three people who were all home all day deny knowing anything at all about how it got that way.  Seriously?    Someday I want to mess with their stuff and then be all innocent and claim no knowledge and offer no help to rectify the situation.  Wouldn't that be sweet revenge?

Sue

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 3:43pm
Yup. The thing is, I'm the one with the mental problem: I want stuff clean and organized! (Good luck with that, as my son would say.) Anyhow, it turns out I am going to town...have some errands, etc., and dd19 will get to do some printmaking there I guess...So much for having a block of time for work! Deborah
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 9:54am
Why are we the ones with mental problems for wanting things clean and organized? That should be considered a mental strength, or is strength considered a problem? Crazy. I can't hardly sit around with stuff a mess around me, I have to fix it! H.

Pages