Thursday Homeschool Recess 4/18

Community Leader
Thursday Homeschool Recess 4/18
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 9:02am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Flood of 2013 stay away.  We're tired of you already!  The water is rising, though not catastrophic...yet.  They're saying it's going to be equal to or worse than the flood of '86.  We helped my parents empty their basement yesterday, and ds helped the neighbors across the street as well.  Their living area will be flooded, plus a garage, so overall they'll have it worse than my parents.  My dad emptied his shed and a friend came and helped him secure it with stakes and cables (it's sitting on a cement slab but not anchored), and he's working in his workshop today getting things off the floor or moved.  I have an emergency bag packed and in my car, anticipating extra work duties from filling sandbags to just being at work.  The crest isn't supposed to be until Saturday sometime, so there are several days of hell yet to come.  Fun stuff.  The rain can just quit anytime, but nope, let's have 2-3" of rain today, please, because we need it so badly.

Today is International Day at co-op.  I made pancit, a Filipino noodle and vegetable dish.  DS is wearing my barong tagalog shirt.  DD was going to wear a dress from the Phillipines but it didn't suit her mood this morning so she has no plan now. (Her shirt was made in the UK, so that counts, right, LOL?)

The kids have counseling for the first time in 3 weeks.  Keep dd in your thoughts/prayers as she had some new memories surface and will have to start dealing with those in counseling, and they're not any prettier than anything else she's had to deal with.  She's already tense over counseling, knowing what it's going to be about, but I know she'll get over it and get through it.  She's also really worried about a friend of hers who has basically quit eating. She's working on the best approach to getting her help, because the friend has confided in her in trust, but dd knows that she's on very dangerous ground (lost 13 pounds in a month, etc).  The friend's parents are a big part of the battle...not sure how they got to be parents but I question their abilities much of the time.  They are not good for her self esteem.  Anyway, the plan as it stands now is that dd will speak to the friend's school counselor, who will then enlist the help of the school nurse to confront the parents with what is going on...and that preserves dd's anonymity and friendship, and also would possibly get through the parents' thick skulls better than just dd or even myself telling.  Ugh, the stuff kids have to deal with these days.  Sucks.  Just plain stinky sucks.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 9:56am

Yuck Sue...no good news! Prayers for sure going up for you and yours. Natural disasters are never fun, good with flooding we usually get a little pre notice, not like earthquakes or other stuff. We lived in a heavy flood area in Florida and everyone had tile floors....never mind any flooring that can not be cleaned up after water damage more easily! It does cause a lot of extra work!  I agree kids have way more stress (as do we) in today's real world. It is not good for any of us! 

I was hopeful to have another good day physically. Yet I feel really tired and achy and will probably not do anything beyond the must do items today. I will probably be in PJ's until lunch time, just to try and remind myself I need more rest. Probably take out tonight, seeing we will be out anyway and I don't need to stand and walk to much. I wanted to get to the pool, but just the walking/standing is a lot of physical work. Improvement is happening but taking lots more time and stamina with knee issues. Plus rest and sleep...to much, and I don't like it. All I can think about is what I am not getting done and that gives me a lot of anxiety and extra stress. I keep trying not to think....just accept. Yet, that is much harder to do. I feel stuck in limbo it is not fun. I am a keep on moving type of person. I have had lots of extra cuddle time with pets and the kids keep trying to entertain me, so I am less bored. I can't concentrate as well even do just do extra study work so it is really boring...so tired of TV. 

Heather     

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 11:31am
I hope those flood preparations have protected you from the worst of the potential inundation...and that your dd continues to grow in strength and conviction, and that her friend gets some help. Sometimes it rains a lot, like when the remnants of a hurricane get parked overhead for a couple of days, but our biggest concern is fire. We are in the midst of fire season right now but have been very lucky. We left our car in town...got a ride back with a friend who commuters five or more days a week (I thought our three was stretching it...although this week it will be six because of activities the dd's are doing in town this week). It is scheduled for a new timing belt and various vital fluids, including for the AC, and an estimate on the exhaust repair. (A Corolla is not supposed to sound like a sports car...) So today I walked to work with dh and did a little work and am now going to a different office to do some IT lite, and then home. At some point I have to look up some prices, etc. And make lunch. And do laundry. And work out the first part of dd19's summer travel? Yesterday we were told that the mom lion has been killed, likely by a neighboring rancher, and that efforts are being made to catch the 6-7 month old cubs, one of which is extremely malnourished. Great going, bubba. I think that people who don't want to live around mountain lions shouldn't live in mountains. There are lots of towns without any lions in sight. Or on site. But that's just my humble opinion...who am I to lecture one of the same bubbas who feels it is within his rights to shoot me (and is supported by state law in this) if I put one foot on his zillion acre ranch? Deborah
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 11:31am

Zeph is sick, hacking productive cough and oozey sinuses, so he has today off of school.  I called the doctor to get him checked out, only to find out that the doctor's office was closing early and schools are closed due to flooding in our area.  Between Zeph sleeping poorly and the Frodo shaking most of the night, I didn't fall into a deep sleep unitl this morning.  

We are all up now.  Zeph took a math test and happily got an 88.  That's all the school for him today.  Though  I'm sure he'll study for the history bee and probably some reading for literature and his history.  Maybe it's not a day off.  Right now he's on the couch with a cup of peppermint tea watching Raiders of the Lost Ark.  The doctor will see him tomorrow.   This is his first time being sick all school year

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 11:34am

Sue and family

Stay safe!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 8:46pm
I have a cold and sinus yuck now, to go with my knee injury. I did little besides lie on the sofa with a pet or a kid most of they day. I did make it out to tennis and pick up a pizza and that was enough energy spent...oh and picking up the kids. I am so tired, achy, blah, blah...I will be back in bed by eight. Atleast my delivery food came today so the kids have food. So tired. Heather
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 8:58pm

Heather,   You sound like a wreck!   Hopefully this weekend your DH will let you sleep and recoup while he and the girls manage to run the house.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 10:55pm

It's been a quiet day.  We all watched an episidoe of Warehouse 13 and then DH went out and picked up Chinese food.  Zeph had a taste for egg drop soup and steamed rice.  DH said the roads were okay, but lots of standing water to the sides of the roads even where there are no ponds. 

DH received 2 calls today looking for his thoughts--one from the COO and one from the CTO, so something is up.  I wish we knew what.

We had several Words by Post games going on between the 3 of us.  Zeph was happy to use his iTouch for fun.  We password protected it (he doesn't have it) and took off internet acceess, and all his games.  He's only been using it for school ( Latin and dictionary aps, plus the schedule ) and music.   All it took was once facetiming and game playing  after electronic curfew... It's been a couple of months so we will see if he can be responsible  if we remove the password, but games aren't coming back for a while still. 

Got to go let the dogs out, I hear their bell.  How ridiculous is it that I come running when they ring...

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 9:03am
I Feel a bit wrecked! Weekend...IDK, they rely heavily on me as the manager. If I am not paying attention to time and what is being done, so much is not done. A lot has not been done around here. So...I have still been managing....order food for delivery, set kid up with computer course work and study things so my brain is not in use at the dry erase board. Have others cook/clean (not as well....but accepting it) and help with each others needs. A ton is not being done. I am trying to not think about it....because then lots of anxiety. Ofcourse the world has also gone crazy so I can't watch TV and get less anxiety, with that news stuff on. So turned that off....but still I think about it. Yeah...I hope the pain works to keep me down and put me to sleep this weekend, I need more of that. Yet, at the same time I want to push myself as much as I can take as far as physical therapy on the knee...so it will work as soon as possible again...so I keep putting myself back in pain as soon as the pain is down....LOL. H.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 10:00am

I have a ton of stuff that doesn't get done each day.  It'll get done eventually or it won't.  While I keep the house tidy, it is not pristinely clean.  I'm okay with that.   As long as DH and DS do their best with chores, I'm fine that it is not done how I would do it.  I appreciate that they step up without attitude.  

Community Leader
Fri, 04-19-2013 - 2:30pm

Oh Deborah, that's so sad that momma mountain lion was eliminated by a rancher.  I was hoping that wouldn't happen.  I hope they can find the babies and relocate/help them, now that they're on their own.

We're supposed to be in fire season too (spring is always bad here) but we've had so much rain that I think there were only two days of wildfires.  So I guess the rain is good for one thing but not so much for another.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages