Thursday Recess 3/28

iVillage Member
Thursday Recess 3/28
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 11:05am

Good morning!  How is everyone doing today?

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 11:24am

How is it almost April?  I have no idea where March went!  

I'm looking forward to the warm up they are promising this weekend.  Some fresh air would do us all good.  I've got windows open in 2 rooms, but it is chilly. 

School this morning and probably afternoon.  DS has a vocabualry lesson, two overlay acetate maps to make, four explorer paragraphs to write ( all for his lapbook), some lit group work to do-finding references to door in the wall in each chapter, marking down page numbers and notetaking on what each door is, plus some written comprehension questions and 2 emails to return to lit group leaders- a math test, and 4 additional history chapters to read, highlight, make notes of any pertinent info to discuss with me.   We have another chapter to read in our read aloud, too.  We read one this morning already. 

Today I'm thinking DS would be better off if we didn't do algebra next year and instead went more slowly through the rest of pre-algebra and used the Key To Series and the hands on equation system to round out next years math.  Ergh!  I am just not sure.  I see pros and cons for each.   

Community Leader
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 11:11pm

Sorry, I forgot to post recess.  I was really zoned out last night and I guess my brain just quit and didn't restart, LOL.

The kiddos had co-op today and I'm very thankful to a mom that I don't even know, for being there for dd.  Something that was said in speech class (not a negative thing...something completely random apparently) triggered some more memories to unlock.  She left class and another girl found her crying.  After talking, she realized that dd needed and adult and went and got her mother, who is a pastor's wife and has helped counsel people.  So thankfully she was there for dd, and another mom brought her a chocolate shake and fries at lunch time (I don't think she knew specifics, just that dd was having a rough time).  She went on to teach her art class and was able to talk to me about what she is remembering.  It's not pretty...it's human trafficking...but I know she will get through this too.  She's still positive about going to AZ.  If she can get in to her counselor tomorrow I will gladly take her.

We went snack food shopping after co-op...stocked up on things for the trip, mainly things that dd can feel comfortable eating, and things that her nutritionist suggested.  She actually coped with that pretty well.  Usually food shopping creates quite a bit a anxiety for her. 

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 9:20am

Glad the other moms were there to help and that she is sharing wiht you, even if the memories are awful.  it's got to be better to get them out of her head than having them stuck somewhere in there. 

I hope they have a fabulous time in AZ. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 12:51pm
"Key to" was really helpful with my oldest. Plus having them do as much hands on and see it Math as they can take. Some years in there, it seemed like we did no paper math, maybe a few Key to problems and the rest was trying to visualize it, watching videos and some hands on stuff. I did my best to not frustrate her but just keep doing what we could even if that was just watching videos of Math concepts being explained....more than being able to do it. Best Wishes! I will probably do more of that with my youngest who is similar in learning pathways but slightly easier to grasp concepts....but still lots of work in Math.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 12:58pm
HUGS....I hate that when something triggers a memory and you are not prepared for it, btdt. I am not a big cry it out person, so public crying is not my thing, but memory hits don't always come at convenient times. Sucks about the grocery store...I still can't wear tight neckwear (turtle necks) and other weird little things due to traumatic injury stuff. You do learn to cope better with time, and I tell myself it is ok, give myself positive feedback with a negative memory occurrence...hope her therapist is teaching her some of that! And that it is OK....it is acceptable to feel anxious, overwhelmed, whatever....at times. HUGS K1!!! H.
Community Leader
Mon, 04-01-2013 - 8:06am

Yes, her therapist is big on coping strategies, and dd is working hard to utilize those.  I'm thankful for that.  I can't imagine how she would cope if she didn't have help.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting