Tuesday Homeschool Recess 2/12

Community Leader
Tuesday Homeschool Recess 2/12
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 9:09am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's reces time!

OK, off the computer and back to work for me.  I'm loafing too long.  LOL.

Actually, today is somewhat laid back.  A little bit.  OK well really not that much, but I'm going to pretend it is.  The only appointment today is counseling, which I changed to today because I work Thursday and couldn't take them.  So we'll have to go out for a little bit.  Aside from that, we're home and chilling out more...school, laundry, yada yada yada.  At least today the snow isn't melting or being rained on!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 9:58am

Took 4 attemps and 2 browsers to be able to log in today.  The pop up ads still work.  I guess IVillage has their priorities straight.

Okay done with the crabbies!

Dishes are going.  Zeph is building.  He made the most whimsical insect out of Legos yesterday.  It's antennea and mouth pieces move.  

Today is tons of reading from Story of Science:Aristotle Leads the Way House Divided:Lives of Grant and Lee, and Nest for Celeste.   The Lee/Grant book is fascinating.  The illustrations in Nest Celeste are beautiful.   That should take us a couple of hours.  There is still a literature lesson to be read and written and discussed, a history lesson to read and highlighted, lap book project to work on, and math.  

After sorting through the school closet,  I realized that I have so many unused curriculum pieces. I'm going to try not to buy any for next year except history. Eighth grade is going to be a mish mash of stuff, but I think the variety will be a fun way to end middle school.   I just sold my Sonlight stuff through the local homeschool group-someone claimed it after just 10 minutes of its posting!  

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 10:23am

I got carried away swimming laps yesterday and then felt it at midnight. That is the thing about swimming you don't feel the pain until hours later. Plus the hot tub was not that hot, so I had a hot bath soak at home instead, but I think it works better if you soak right after a swim not at midnight. So today achy, tired and the to-do list that never ends. One Dad home, working from home because he has a cold, great....not another virus in the house. This winter has been a PITA for virus and I for one am tired of the extra illness work at home.  

Trying to get thru the basket of school work it is a mixed bag, of what I hope works for this kid. Plus today is music educator day...I get to see two, and learn two insturments that I still can't play, or find practice time to try for myself! Yet, it does help me encourage others to learn right!  I do so love these silly little kids, even when my eyes would like to close and my body aches and I could be doing something that brought me cash flow, but the love flow/cute kid to observe, is pretty darn good payment! 

Work, work, work! Que the dwarfs to sing the "whistle while you work" song!  

Heather

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 1:32pm

My saturday work day in the office was wonderfully productive for today's study work. I threw away 5 paper bags of garbage, paper clutter, old crafts and broken stuff. Reorganized the shelves and the kid supplies, and touched up my desk a little bit. I would need another marathon day alone to conquer the drawers and stuff, but it is way better.

So, my student is busy with math lab materials and she was so excited to use them. I made her wait until after lang arts, music and  lunch, but now she is having a grand time! We did one work sheet together now she is doing some solitary games and photos of her math lab creations! So this week we hope to have off from T.T. which gets boring and enjoy Math lab afternoons! Miquon wb/blocks, unit wb/blocks and a few game toys(spinners and dice) to use these items with creative math play.  She also gets to build and do art with it, if she can tell me how many blocks and there associated cost we assigned each block...sometimes we do the cost anaylisis, other times we just do the block work and unit/breakdowns. Sort of archetecture or lego like only with a more mathematic focus/component.

Lego could easily hire a consultant to come up with worksheets for unit anaylasis and make it more educational to build. Then sale that to the market!  I don't have time to do it currently...for no pay!  So using miquon blocks and blue unit blocks. She enjoy's math and can stay on task with learning it so much longer when it is hands on lab like ways of learning it.

She did take a break to play the Piano....because "something just poped in her head"....Mom! LOL.  

Heather    

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 3:14pm

We just realized it is Darwin Day.    Once we get done with school (so far only science and a bit of history is done, so after dinner) we are going to watch Creation,  I'm hoping it is not too dull for Zeph.  It focuses on Darwin the man and his struggle between his beliefs and that of his wife.  I have a bio of him somewhere, but I don't know that we want to throw another book into the mix right now.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2013 - 4:16pm

A whole day is given to Darwin?  We will have to miss that. We have several Science books that bring him up so we know all about him, enough. It is Lincoln's birthday/presidents day this month, black history month, Valentines and the list goes on! I never get to all of it every year and get the math and reading hum drum done too.

Doing anything fun for the kids for Valentines day? I hope to make a dessert that is pretty...maybe strawberry shortcake with chocolate sauce and fresh whipped cream IF the berries are not eaten before that! If not frozen mixed berries maybe the alternative. Then I had some extra christmas stocking stuffers gifts, that I bought to much, so they can be Valentines gifts. Simple stuff. I like to keep things simple, as much as I can. I will do a craft with my one home, the extra time.  Maybe she can play me a Viola tune, a very special and creative way, for my gift! Or I can say that... for a tricky way to get in more practice time! Doing whatever it takes to get the work done, tricks, treats and buried treasures (aka bribes) !

Heather  

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 9:42am

Darwin Day is an international event whose goal is to 'promote scientific thinking throughout our soceity'.   Evolution is not what is being celebrated, but Darwin and his thinking and processes is.  Darwin is as essential to biology as Newton is to physics.  The movie was not as good as the book I read on the same subject.  Darwin and his wife's relationship is fascinating.  For them to share a life of respect and love despite drastically different world views is an inspirational model.  I;ve read 3 boosk on him'beliefs and I have barely scratched the surface.  I find the early pioneers of science daring and fascinating!

Lucky for us Presidents Day is timed right as we are studying Lincoln, but in reality we were bound to coincide with some holiday since we are taking a full year to study the Civil War.  Zeph is enjoying Lincoln: A Picture Story of His Life and Lincoln: A Photobiography is one of of our next book choices followed by Chasing Lincoln's Killer and then Lincoln's Grave Robbers.  It's amazing to me how much of our founding fathers are being pulled into discussion about the Civil War.  Davis really felt he was following in their footsteps.  As a side note, just found out that Lee was married to the great granddaughter of Martha Washington. 

I didn't realize it was Black History Month.  We did go to see the live production of Rosa Park's life last week.  I ordered those tickets months ago along with several others. Happy accident on my part.

Valentine's Day snuck up on me.  I am planning on making one of DH's favorite meals (I don't like it so I don't make it often) as a surprise and a break from all the restaurant food he has to have while traveling.  I'll make pumpkin muffins for breakfast (treat here) too.  No sweets in the plans.  I do typically do something small for Zeph and I am thinking of surprising him with a fun day of something rather than the anitcipated school, but I have to see what the weather is like since they are calling for snow.  I have been holding back cards from extended family that have shown up for him over the past couple of days so he shoud have a small stack of valentines to open.

Community Leader
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 5:12pm

Heather turtleemom, I'm sorry you're having difficulties logging in, and that the pop-ups are plaguing you.  I've found that if I make sure I'm logged in at the top (where it says "Hello, turtleemom") before I start posting, I don't have any further trouble posting.  When you see a pop-up, if you screen shot it and then post a thread on the iVillage Help board http://www.ivillage.com/forums/ivillage-women/around-ivillage/ivillage-help/ivillage-help iVillage can address the issue and get them removed or changed.  I'm glad you were able to incorporate some Darwin activities in at the last minute, too.  Last year during February, in honor of Black History Month, I read only books by or about blacks and/or black history.  I decided to do that again this year.  I read a bio of Harriet Tubman and now I am reading "While the World Watched: A Birmingham Bombing Survivor Comes of Age" by Carolyn Maull McKinstry.  I want dd to read it after I'm done with it

Heather hbak20, sorry your swim workout made you so sore.  You must have worked hard!  Which is good...but...still.  Sorry the hot tub wasn't hot enough to help, either.  That just stinks!  LOL, your little "math creator" and her activities.  Good for her!

I'm celebrating Valentine's Day by...working.  Yippee happy me.  I put the word out that in lieu of flowers or cards, I will take cash toward restoring my hair to Youthful Brown.  With co-pays for dd's appointments, I am broke and payday isn't for a week-and-a-half and I don't have to watch my gray roots lengthen until I get paid again!  Sigh.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting