Tuesday Homeschool Recess 2/26

Community Leader
Tuesday Homeschool Recess 2/26
Tue, 02-26-2013 - 8:24am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

They're saying we're supposed to get 3-5" of snow overnight and tomorrow.  We'll see if they're lying (again) about that, or not.  The forecast has already been revised down from where it does, so we shall see.  Hopefully it won't start until we get home tonight, at least.  The kids have counseling, DD has a meeting, and they both have youth group late this afternoon.  Good thing we have those leftovers from last night, for our supper tonight.  I won't have to cook Smile

Discovered that the house across the street from us has sold. I wonder who our new neighbors will be.  The kids are hoping for a 15 year old girl and a 10 or 11 year old boy, LOL.  And neighbors who don't blast music.  I don't really see the house as being a "family house" so that's not my guess, LOL.  I guess we'll know soon.  Now we really have to pray that the other house on the road doesn't sell because we DO NOT, absolutely DO NOT want those neighbors to move!  (The house that sold was vacant already...the very old lady who lived there no longer lives by herself.)

DS and Poppa finished the taps yesterday...and the sap is indeed already starting to flow.  Not a lot yet but it's flowing!  (Facebook cover photo has been changed now!)  I think they're going to have the...as ds put it..."ceremonial lighting of the first fire" tomorrow.  There won't be a lot to cook but I don't think they'll care about that, ha ha Wink

Well, about time to roust sleeping children from the bed and do that thing that we like to do...learn Smile  I forgot to get this week's schedule out so I don't even know what we're doing.  Maybe finishing up the Middle East...or maybe moving somewhere else in the Eastern hemisphere.  Hmmmm.  Today is an adventure!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Community Leader
Tue, 02-26-2013 - 8:31am

Oh yea, forgot about a cool opportunity coming up.  The MI Supreme Court is going to hold an active session...in conjunction with Law Day...at the local art center in April.  It's open to all interested high school students in the county. DD is interested...would be a good "field trip" since she's just finished Government (she got a 97% on the final and that's without studying because the teacher didn't bother to tell her when the final was and she missed the week before!)  Anyway...the only hold-up to her attendance would be that the students have to attend a mandatory meeting with local attorneys and judges, in which the case will be given preliminary discussion and in which also I imagine they'd be instructed in courtroom procedures and decorum.  I'm afraid that mandatory session may be while dd is in AZ, because the session is 3 days after she gets home.  I've emailed for more info on that and then will decide from there.  I hope she can attend though!

Sue

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-26-2013 - 10:23am

I hope they get the kids and ages they are wanting and that they are homeschoolers! 

That would be a cool opportunity for DD.  Hope the timing works out.  

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-26-2013 - 10:37am

I have a few phone calls to make today, but other than that the schdule is blank.  Of course i have laundry, ironing and dishes to do.  If I put on my glasses, I could easily find something to dust, dog hair to vaccuum and muddy paw prints to mop.  I know we'll read and DS has one last project to complete his lapbook. The accompnaying notebook is complete.  He still has 3 or 4 larger crafty projects to do, but we'll spread those out over the last few months of school.  He's chugging along with his Veritas Press class.  They view is vey narrow that is bring taught.  They actually said that Rome was not magnificent, God is.  Can't they both be, it's not a contest.  While I am not digging the 'anyone who opposed or was not Christian was not important' angle to teaching history, Zeph is enjoying the independence, games and his notetaking skills are improving.  A math and vocabulary lesson should happen also.   Off to teach Frodo first.      

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-26-2013 - 11:56pm

I had to login twice to post this...the first time it said "You are not authorized to post comments".  Seriously, someone is not serious about fixing this.  (I haven't been posting for some time because it is too much of a hassle to log in repeatedly, up to four times sometimes.)

dd19 and I have the house to ourselves until next Tuesday.  Today we took dd15 and dh to the airport for a trip across the Atlantic for a 1 week family reunion type thingy (dh, two of his sisters, dd, and his mom...Mom bankrolled it for us) in London: activities include the British Museum, the opera, and all sorts of other goodies.  dd19 and I will be doing the usual stuff: going to town for classes and other activities, getting to enjoy a clean kitchen counter most of the time, etc.

We left at 8:45 so that we'd have plenty of time to get them there for a 2:15 flight, so of course we were to the airport by noon, and after hanging out there long enough for them to get their boarding passes and through security, dd19 and I went underwear shopping for her and got some that actually fits (at great expense) and then we got three Fiesta ware bowls that we liked to go with three that we have, and to replace some pieces (not necessarily the same kinds and colors) that were broken.  Then I went to the grocery, where I got a lot of organic produce for the same price as the regular produce at our local store, and a bunch of other stuff.  I can usually pay for the gas (almost 400 mi) with the savings in groceries.  We went home by the quickest way, which meant driving almost straight at the sun for the last hour or so.  (We could have turned south earlier, but that means an additional 15 miles or so in the mountains, which equals SLOW.)  We put the groceries away and I had planned to do a little work, but instead am lying down with the oldest cat leaning against my right shoulder and washing itself noisily, not that common for an 18+ year old cat.

Deborah

Community Leader
Wed, 02-27-2013 - 12:48pm

turtleemom wrote:
<p>I hope they get the kids and ages they are wanting and that they are homeschoolers! </p><p>That would be a cool opportunity for DD.  Hope the timing works out.  </p>

The event isn't dependant on hser participation...they're bussing in over 1000 high school students from all of the schools in the county (4 districts, 5 schools).  I'm glad they want to include hsers too.  I have her signed up...fingers crossed that the mandatory meeting will be the right dates, LOL.

Sue

Community Leader
Wed, 02-27-2013 - 12:54pm

Heather, keep your glasses off so you don't see that work that needs to be done Cool  LOL.

Wow, I would have to agree with your thoughts regarding the Veritas curric.  Imho, the Bible and secular history dovetail very well...and yes, the Roman empire was definitely magnificent.  How else could it have encompassed so much of the world, and been so powerful?  I believe that God is more powerful and magnificent, but that doesn't in any way lessen the importance of the Roman Empire in history, nor does it mitigate the fact that they did some truly awful things and that what rose out of the Roman Empire wasn't any better.  It's important to study all aspects of history...the good and the bad...the whys and the wherefores.  Otherwise we are the proverbial ostrich, head buried in sand.  LOL.

Off my soapbox now Innocent

Sue

Community Leader
Wed, 02-27-2013 - 12:58pm

Deborah, I'm sorry that log-in issues have been keeping you away from the board.  I was afraid of that.  I know how onerous they've been.  One thing that works for me is if, before I start posting, I make sure that I'm logged in at the top left corner of the page.  You know, where it says "Hello, [username!} Edit profile l Sign out"  Once I sign in there, it usually doesn't take me to the log-in page when I try to post, and only rarely does it give me the "you're not authorized" error.  If that's not of any help to you, I'm sorry, but I thought I'd passed along what's working for at least some people.

Wow, the London trip sounds fantastical.  I think I'd gladly give up having the house mostly to myself, in order to go on a trip like that, LOL.  I hope you're enjoying your solitude while it lasts...kitty baths and all.  (How can they make so much noise, just licking????)  Do you have any musical gigs while they're gone?  New music to practice?  Anything exciting?

Sue

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-28-2013 - 1:06am
Using the method you described, I had to log in four times before I could post a message. If I didn't have online friends on iv, I would NEVER come back again, ever. My laptop is small and slow and it can take several minutes to log in. The priorities seem totally skewed: when I first went to the page (before logging in) a box popped up over the post I was reading, asking me how likely I was to use Huggies wipes in the next week. On my first login attempt, I'd typed a few characters when the login box was completely covered by another box asking me to sign up for iv newsletters. I don't have anything against advertising...it pays the bills. But when I have to deal with offensive advertising that interferes with the normal function of the site (reading for information and logging in), I start thinking that if my time is going to be wasted, I could find better ways to do it myself. As for music, I don't have any gigs coming up...just informal rehearsals with our quartet, duets with my chamber music buddy & maybe dd19, and my five students on Wednesday afternoons. One cancelled today and I had some time to talk with the student who is about my age. I knew she was into cowboy poetry gatherings, but I had no idea she attended the first Elko event and (I found this out from the internet) has had her poems published in anthologies. "On her first poem "I wrote it for the wrong reason: because I wanted to go to the gathering." (Her travel and other expenses were paid for her to perform it.) She plays several different instruments and has a business, so hardly any time to practice fiddle, but she's a quick study. And she has a cool fiddle which used to belong to Major Lee Franklin, who won the Texas World Fiddle Championship in 1949. When she bought it at some kind of cowboy flea market and told me how much it cost I was horrified: It doesn't look like anything special but turned out to have a smooth sweet voice and could probably be quite nice with a professional setup. dd19 went to printmaking class and had a piano lesson. Her teacher is forcing her to read music; seems to think she is "getting" it. I hope dd19 is not tricking her with her ability to learn stuff the first time she hears it. (As recently as two weeks ago, teacher was not aware that the music on the stand was just for show.) Deborah
Community Leader
Thu, 02-28-2013 - 7:50am

Sorry, but I had to laugh at dd hoodwinking the teacher ref learning by ear vs reading the notes.  I'm going to guess that the teacher doesn't quite know what to think about that...LOL.  One thing that I like about dd's composition teacher is that he understands having a good ear and acknowledges dd's gift of songwriting, and then challenges her to develop "the other side" of musical abilities.  He doesn't pressure her...but he's working with her to make sure she's well-rounded, especially if she ends up studying music in college.  He's a unique teacher...which makes him click well with my unique daughter LOL.

I'm passing your comments on to whomever.  I know the problem isn't new for you and I'm glad you're still around and popping in when you can.  Personally, I appreciate that.  I'm just as frustrated as anyone else.

Sue