Tuesday Homeschool Recess 3/12

Community Leader
Tuesday Homeschool Recess 3/12
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 9:57am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

I've gotten the "official" word.  We're on spring break now.  I kind of had a feeling that it would be super hard for ds to come indoors and sit for school stuff, when he can be out working hard making maple syrup!  He is adorably cute out there with his grandpa...just melts my heart to look out and see him.  He smells like a sweet wood fire, too.  More kisses for momma, please Wink  He is definitely able to do a lot more hard work, and has already been left to tend the fire by himself while poppa tried to solve a crisis.  (Thought the battery in the thermometer was dead...turns out the whole thermometer shorted out yesterday and is dead.  Oops.  My cheapo candy thermometer "isn't calibrated right" so it's still a crisis, but probably not one that can be solved today...I'm guessing he'll have to order a new precise one.)  They still haven't rebuilt the fireplace yet...maybe today.  The river is flooded and they're keeping an eye on the ice, which will probably go out sometime today or maybe tomorrow.  That's always a big event of spring, LOL.  (Viscosity is evidently the "big word of the day"...I've heard it used about 4x already this morning, LOL.)

DD's doctor's appointment went well yesterday.  She's going to go on the pill for a bit because her periods are long (9 days) and heavy with lots of cramps (like, still cramping and heavy on day 5...eeks!) so hopefully that will help.  I'm fine with it.  Emotionally, she is doing well.  The doctor isn't seeing any red flags at all, in talking with her.  It's still a tough road to travel, but she's turned a few positive corners in the past couple of months and things look much more positive.  I'm glad for that.  You know, you do your best to make a "normal" life for your kid but you just never know what can come along and derail that normalcy. We got handed a huge load of stuff that isn't even our fault, but we still have to deal with it.  I'm so thankful for the team of professionals along the way who have helped us in dealing with it.  

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 10:18am

So happy to herar things are progressing well with your DD. While the professionals were important, she could not have conquered this without your support and involvement.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 10:35am

She is lucky you are her MOM!  I am trying to stay focused on work today. I keep looking out the window at the snow instead, it looks pretty. I like the way big chunks fall off as it melts, weird I like that huh? It was a very heavy and wet snow. It looks beautiful, but is a pain to clear away. Right now we are both using our computers for work. Then I have to use my brain and work with hers....oh, add a few music lessons, taxi work, dinners to make, and it will be a busy full day! I am looking forward to read aloud history. I am such a geek. Maybe I can fit in a swim and feel less geeky and more athletic! Nah...gonna feel nerdy, no matter what. 

Heather 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 10:45am

We all slept in today.  Slow moving morning. DH is off to see a client.  DS and I have loads of school to do.  I have some laundry and vacuuming to do. 

I'm waiting to hear back from a new-to-me salon.  My hair is in desperate need of a cut/color and after 20 years, my hair guru has become apathetic.  I HATE to go elsewhere, but I think it is time.  I also want to call about whale camp.  We can't afford it this year, but I'm looking into it for next year.  I am also curious about Concordia Language camps in MN for next year too.   

I'm spending some time looking at books for novel studies for next year.  I'd like 5 plus whatever Lit Group and whatever we add in for history (about 15-20 more assigned books). 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 12:56pm

Wow does customer service differ from place to place!  Whale camp gave me so much info over the phone, about the program, activities, and happily answered all of my questions.  Then there was language camp who could not tell me the minimum age for family camp and every question I asked was answerd with "it depends".   Very frustrating.  I do have a hair consult for later this week.  Making progress on my to do list. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 5:17pm
I finally got my hair apt made too. Darn aging, gotta color the mop to keep it young looking....gotta look young right? Geez, I hate dealing with all that part of life. How to dress, what to look like, the presentation... I would rather live in PJ's and Mop hair, than deal with what others want to think about me due to my exterior dress/ appearances. I just don't care about it that much as "society" seems to make us need to do. One thing I always liked about working with children, they give honest compliments and they don't care so much about appearances and where your heart is when you are spending time with them. Yes, I have dog hair on my clothes....kids are fine with that! Heather
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 5:44pm

I don't like looking old.  I still feel young and vibrant inside so I want my outer appearance to match. 

I also got us invited to a field trip at the Art Institute with a docent tour for Zeph- happy about that.  We were going to go on our own, but this way saved me about $11.  After the tour we are free to explore the exhibits on our own. 

I started the application process for Zeph and I to volunteer at our wildlife rescue center.  We'd be preparing food and feeding injured animals as well as cleaning cages.  They also have larger animals with permanent injuries that can not be released that we eventaully help with feeding and cleaning too.  It's a year committment of 4 hours a week.  The next year he would be eligible to do it on his own.  We're both excited about the possibility. 

I know he is young, but he has been consistent for years with future career aspirations.  I think it is time he gets some hands on experience with some of these options so he when the time comes, he has an idea of what suits him best.  He also made a list today of personal goals to show us more responsibility over the next year so that we would consider sending him to science sleep away camps.  I am astonished at the cost of some of these.  He is suppose to also be working on a list of ways to help us pay for them. 

Some history and some literature is done too.  I did decide on Animal Farm, And Bridge to Terabithia as books.  Now 3 more , slightly more uplifting.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 8:30am
Oh, Animal Farm...I remember reading that book, good one! I do miss the literature of the older kids study work. I am back in elementary with my kid home. She is not advanced in her reading either, so lots of Magic Tree House, and for me I have heard the stories a few times now, so melty snow is getting my attention while listening. H.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 9:48am
Never read that. I like some disturbing, I mean a good scary book can be great but...do not like overly disturbing! If it does not give you reasons to think about why or how to solve that problem in time, disturbing does no good to read. Good Lit should make you question, see perspectives, and think more in the process so you learn and change as needed to grow. It may cement your views or challenge them...then it was a good read, and worth any bit of disturbed! H.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 9:52am

I read The Giver last night as a pre-read for lit group for next year.  While I finished it in one sitting and was compelled to keep reading, I did not like it.  It is full of symbolism and did make me think, I overall found it depressing.

Community Leader
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 12:26am

I hope you like your new salon, Heather.  My hair desperately needs a color too, but dd's co-pays for appointments take priority.  I think I'll have enough on my next check.  For now I look at gray roots.  Ugh.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages