Tuesday Homeschool Recess 3/19

Community Leader
Tuesday Homeschool Recess 3/19
Tue, 03-19-2013 - 3:33am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

I'm sure glad the calendar says spring is almost here....looking out the window doesn't yield a very convincing view of the subject, LOL.  Snow, snow,  more snow.  Winter is sure hanging on, unlike last year when it was unseasonably warm by this time in the year.  Funny, it seemed like winter didn't want to arrive this year...and now that it finally decided to stop in, we can't get rid of it, LOL.

The kiddos have counseling today but that's the only scheduled activity.  Well, that and maple syrup, of course.  

Good news.  DH got offered the weighmaster position that he interviewed for last week.  He goes in this morning to get oriented and learn exactly what they want of him (hours, wages, "problem" roads and times, etc).  He's anxious to get to work, and I'm sure they're anxious to have him out there patrolling.  Seasonal weight restrictions ("frost laws") have been in place for a couple of weeks now, with no enforcement in the county, so I'm sure the local trucking businesses (construction, etc) have spread the word that they can get away with running full loads without getting caught.  Doesn't take long for that kind of news to spread.  Won't they be surprised when dh shows up on their tail and catches them Cool  I'm happy for him...both the extra money, and the fact that he gets to do a job he never thought he'd do again when he retired from the sheriff's department.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

Community Leader
Sat, 03-23-2013 - 1:27am

hbka20 wrote:
I would be interested in a Vegan version of the ice cream...as I have some lactose issues. I usually just take a pill and eat it anyway. But I have experimented with sorbets, I like. Yet, never found a vegan ice cream I really want to eat yet....whats in your moms recipe?

Heather, she uses one of three things as the smooth base: cashews blended in water, cooked rice blended in water, or cooked potato.  Then she adds fruit juice and fruit blended up.  I don't know exactly how she does maple ice cream, but you can google recipes and find one.  One thing about vegan ice cream, it's not as good the second time around...loses the creamy mouth feel...so you have to eat it all up Laughing  You can put some guar gum powder in it to help it be creamier and smoother, if you want to.

Sue

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 10:51am

Yum! Where do you order chocolate from?  It must be good to order it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 9:19am
I would be interested in a Vegan version of the ice cream...as I have some lactose issues. I usually just take a pill and eat it anyway. But I have experimented with sorbets, I like. Yet, never found a vegan ice cream I really want to eat yet....whats in your moms recipe?
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 9:16am
I love maple syrup and we go thru a lot of it, I like to cook with it, and put it on pancakes too! Maple nut candies in maple ice cream with a white cake with maple frosting....is popping into my head. Now...if I get it all together to do or not, is questionable, as the to-do's here keep adding up! So less time for kitchen fun. :(
Community Leader
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 2:06am

turtleemom wrote:
<p>Sue,</p><p>What does your dad do with all that maple syrup?  We go through maybe 2 small bottles a year.   How cool that your DS got to run the operation himself for a while!   </p>

He hordes it!  Seriously, he has syrup from several years now.  He gives it away as gifts when the occasion arises, and of course, I have a never-ending supply.  

Sue

Community Leader
Wed, 03-20-2013 - 2:05am

Heather hbka20 I know that your birthday girl will appreciate whatever you come up with in the way of gifts.  I agree, birthdays and gift-giving holidays that are close together are no fun.  At least Easter moves around, LOL.

Maple walnut ice cream is good...my mom makes it vegan and it's pretty guilt-free!  You could make maple cake and maple ice cream.  I'll be on your doorstep if you do that!

Sue

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-19-2013 - 8:11pm

I got Easter bunny baskets and goodies ordered and they are supposed to get here on Good Friday! I order extra for myself because I still want my chocolate bunny every year too! Now what to do for a 10 year old for her birthday, who has no ideas....she is good with simple, thankful for that! Maybe some new clothes...she is a girl! I finally got her hair cut, she needed it!

H.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-19-2013 - 4:13pm

My 2nd batch of eggs is hard boiling.  I lost 4 out of the first 2 dozen due to cracking.   DH did the grocery shopping so we can have a traditional meal on Thursday.  I was hoping to do a welcome to warm weather meal (grilling) but the forecast made us change plans.  My menfolk decided to go to the presentation tonight, so we'll color eggs tomorrow morning. 

DS has a 2nd math lesson to go and we'll finish our book.  I'm hoping he can DH can put together the shell of the new lapbook also.  Directions say to put in all the projects once the unit is done. but we prefer to put them in as we go.  It makes DS feel accomplished and I like that I don't have to worry about misplacing any projects.

Off to work:)

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-19-2013 - 11:09am

Regular day -school and housework.  We've got math, finishing our read aloud,  some lap book projects-copywork and making a quadrant.  This afternoon we'll color eggs.  I bought 4 dozen.  I better get hard-boiling!  Normally we would do it tomorrow, but we have plans most of tomorrow.  Tonight DH and DS might go to an astronomy club meeting.  They're torn on the topic- could be interesting could be dry.   

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-19-2013 - 10:55am

Sue,

What does your dad do with all that maple syrup?  We go through maybe 2 small bottles a year.   How cool that your DS got to run the operation himself for a while!   

Pages