Tuesday Homeschool Recess 5/14

Community Leader
Tuesday Homeschool Recess 5/14
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 2:17am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

Well, at least it's not as cold tonight...no frost on the punkins.  I haven't heard yet what got nipped Sunday night, but ds said he inspected the apple blossoms in my dad's orchard and didn't see any black centers in the flowers, so hopefully that means they escaped.  He (ds) really really wants to make apple cider this year, so he has a vested interest in the crop not receiving frost!

Today is a fairly light day.  DH is going in to work early...they had B&E's of businesses over the weekend...with $2K cash taken from one business (why one would leave that much cash in a bank bag in an unlocked drawer is beyond me, but nobody said that business owner is the brightest candle in the bunch, LOL), and he's busy working the case.  DS has Pathfinders (they're going swimming...in an outdoor pool...brrrrrr!), and dd are going to have Indian food, since the restaurant wasn't open a couple of Sundays ago when we went out to eat together.  My mom will take her in the morning to have the heart monitor thingie removed, much to her delight.  Evidently EKG wires aren't nearly as pleasant as headphones.  Funny how that works.  An electronic device with headphones is fun, while an electronic device of similar size with wires attached to your chest is itchy and annoying!

It's back to work tonight for me.  Happiness abounds...not so much.

Edited to add...I forgot that I placed a little Sonlight order Smile  Core G IG and a couple of other items.  I actually laid hands on all of the books from that core, without difficulty for a change.  DS is anxious to get back to a more "normal" core, from the geography-based core we just finished.  He didn't end up liking that as much. He should really enjoy the Core G books.  I recall some very good ones in there!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 10:01am

Yeah, My middle childs biggest complaint about our home schooling so far now that she is in "real school," was that I did not make her memorize state capitals with states. Oh no, she is forever damaged because she does not know the capital of Maine! Never mind what she did learn in critical thinking skills, world geography and religion, advanced reading skills or mental math! I knew I would get a little flack, from her real school stuff. Right now, trying to get all her work done in the after school crunch is maddening with her friends texting and she never wants to be home to do her assigned chores when she can be socializing with the friends! See, do much social for a outgoing extrovert can be a negative to real learning. We are still discussing how to juggle friends! I am glad my other two are naturally more introverted, it is easier for me. 

We are having play time with our Kindergarten friend and whatever they might want to do,before lunch,  then I have 101 taxi jobs in the afternoon(leaving do it yourself assignments for my home educated), followed by dealing with kids until I pass out into my favorite pillow. Then probably another Epson salt soak for my knee, depending on how much I had to use it. Taxi time may keep me sitting longer! I am still trying to sit more, which is difficult as I wish to be doing stuff and stuff needs done all around me. That is the torcher of working at home, but being injured so you can't.  I wish I could read a bit but I am sure to be interupted so I won't start another chapter of reading.

Remember we had a foot of snow a week or so ago? 90 degrees today, yes and sunny like the hottest summers day! I am not crazy, the Earth is, I have to live on a insane planet! So if fiction writers make up winter scenes followed by summer ones in a book, based in Fall, well that is not taking any liberties of imagination at all! It is real, in reality!

Heather    

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 10:02am

Yeah, My middle childs biggest complaint about our home schooling so far now that she is in "real school," was that I did not make her memorize state capitals with states. Oh no, she is forever damaged because she does not know the capital of Maine! Never mind what she did learn in critical thinking skills, world geography and religion, advanced reading skills or mental math! I knew I would get a little flack, from her real school stuff. Right now, trying to get all her work done in the after school crunch is maddening with her friends texting and she never wants to be home to do her assigned chores when she can be socializing with the friends! See, do much social for a outgoing extrovert can be a negative to real learning. We are still discussing how to juggle friends! I am glad my other two are naturally more introverted, it is easier for me. 

We are having play time with our Kindergarten friend and whatever they might want to do,before lunch,  then I have 101 taxi jobs in the afternoon(leaving do it yourself assignments for my home educated), followed by dealing with kids until I pass out into my favorite pillow. Then probably another Epson salt soak for my knee, depending on how much I had to use it. Taxi time may keep me sitting longer! I am still trying to sit more, which is difficult as I wish to be doing stuff and stuff needs done all around me. That is the torcher of working at home, but being injured so you can't.  I wish I could read a bit but I am sure to be interupted so I won't start another chapter of reading.

Remember we had a foot of snow a week or so ago? 90 degrees today, yes and sunny like the hottest summers day! I am not crazy, the Earth is, I have to live on a insane planet! So if fiction writers make up winter scenes followed by summer ones in a book, based in Fall, well that is not taking any liberties of imagination at all! It is real, in reality!

Heather    

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 10:23am
So far the day isn't in focus yet. dh left but I didn't go with him because dd15 will be driving me up for her pet feeding gig. I have an order to place for work but have to do a little more research before I request it. The dishwasher is full and the counter is covered with dishes (it was clean last night when I went to bed) because no one knows how to unload a dishwasher (!) apparently, so I'll do that first. I'll probably make a salad to go along with the lentil/rice soup, and make a green smoothie for dd19 and me. We are out of chocolate, except for the non GF ones that two of us can't eat, so I might have to throw some cacao nibs into the smoothie and pretend. I need to do more laundry...the clothes on the rack are probably dry by now, but am almost out of detergent and not going to shop until tomorrow. Except online...bwahahahaha.... I'll try to get the small details taken care of before ten, when I find out if dd19 has a German lesson. (The last one was in January, argh.) If so, we'll go to town in time to take recycling to the transfer station, drop all those plastic grocery bags by the food pantry (one of my next projects is to replace all of those shabby torn "green" shopping bags with some ones homemade out of t-shirts), stop by the library for a learn to drive text (dh is fixated in the little diagrams; does not think that an online experience can equal a text)...then home. dd19 has some details to iron out for her summer but it always seems to fit together by the last minute, so maybe this year also. White Paws was insistent about climbing on my chest while I was writing this but has now decided that nestling by my ear with his paws tucked into my shoulder is okay. Well, a quick email to my sis (we have to figure out who is accompanying my mom on her drive north) and then...to business. Deborah
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 12:01pm
Guess what I found? I found baby lettuce coming up in my planter from last year! I have not touched it or added seed or anything! I was going to add some soil and the add some seed, and I found baby lettuce! I may have salad sooner than I think! Having a green thumb is so much fun! I guess I willed it to be, because I have been complaining about not getting to garden and that made me depressed....so then God sent me lettuce! H.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 1:12pm
We made some yummy raspberry "lemon style" cold bars, I am in love with the recipe. You can cook the berries, drain off the juice and make these bars, then use the leftover cooked berries in a pancake syrup with real berries and maple syrup maybe some real cream. SO it is like getting free food, just by using the juice before you make something else out of the berries, very green, and good use of produce and health benefits in berries! I got so excited seeing the baby lettuce I planted more seeds, plus it is a perfect weather day to sew seeds. Humid and warm with light rain possible and warm over night so a good 18 hours of perfect germinating conditions! Maybe hope for that lettuce, spinach and flowers from seed. We still need to plant the flowers we bought maybe later. Gotta go get a Kinder aged neighbor onto her bus! They enjoyed fun play, baking, and merry making together today! They picnicked in the yard, while I sewed the seeds! Yes, had to get my hands dirty and yes, now I want to work in the dirt even more. Yet, it will have to wait. So much to-do! H.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 1:17pm

Sue, Please share any good core books.  Zeph will be doing world hisotry along with US history.  Most of our book list is for the US, but I'd love to fit in a few good world hisotry books too. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 1:19pm

Zeph is working on a writing piece (a historical fiction based on his life) and I was pleased to read it.  It's truing out well.  His technical writing needs work, but when it comes to something creative, he soars.  He's editing now.  Some other school and then yard work this afternoon.  I'd like to get to the grocery store to pick up a cake mix (making chocolate cherry cake) and steak for his steak and egg breakfast for Zeph's birthday.  Sometime this vening I'd also like to make 7 layer salad for tomorrow's dinner. 

Dinner tonight is on the deck-brats, corn on the cob, baked beans and fruit salad. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 5:13pm
I got crazy in the good warm heat and planted the flowers we bought with my youngest, so I was bad and not resting my knee. It seems fine so far. So we will call that good therapy for today! We are having a cold tortilini pasta salad that has stuffed cheese and a olive oil basil/herb dressing...it is cooling now. Plus a cold lettuce salad, yeah heat inspired meal planning! Oh, and sun tea too. YUM ....bring on the summer heat! I want fresh grown salads and cold pasta salad and all that yum! Inspired by Summer weather when cooking and gardening, both of my addictions here fed each other LOL. It is all good. H.
Community Leader
Wed, 05-15-2013 - 2:42am

Deborah, if you or any of your family members crochet, I just pinned a bunch of crochet market bag patterns on my Pinterest.  Check them out!  I plan on making some one of these days...though I don't mind the plastic bags because I use them when I scoop the cat's litter box.

Sue

Community Leader
Wed, 05-15-2013 - 2:44am

hbka20 wrote:
Guess what I found? I found baby lettuce coming up in my planter from last year! I have not touched it or added seed or anything! I was going to add some soil and the add some seed, and I found baby lettuce! I may have salad sooner than I think! Having a green thumb is so much fun! I guess I willed it to be, because I have been complaining about not getting to garden and that made me depressed....so then God sent me lettuce! H.

Yummy.  I love freshly picked garden lettuce!  DS is already anticipating that delicious item, since he is the designated summer salad gatherer.  He thinks, since he's eating salad more, that he will be enjoying garden lettuces too!

I have green onions in my garden already.

Sue

Pages