Wednesday Homeschool Recess 2/13

Community Leader
Wednesday Homeschool Recess 2/13
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 7:49am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

I had this thought, as my alarm went off this morning, that it shouldn't be going off!  Good thing I work up just enough to realize...oops...yep, that's my cue to get up!  I could have easily left my phone lying there and gone back to sleep, LOL.  Thankfully I'm awake now, especially since I had a call right out of the chute.  I hate taking calls before I've rebooted the computer.  Everybody sets the CAD view screen up differently and the user's screen that I was on made absolutely no sense whatsoever.  It took me 3 tries to find the right field in which to type the address!!!  Good thing I type fast...the caller never knew I was scrambling to find things  on the screen Sealed

The kiddos decided to challenge each other to be vegan all day today.  Kind of funny, because ds' last snack last night was cottage cheese.  He was "loading up on cheese", he said.  They also said they were going to exercise together.  Good for them...whatever they end up doing together.  DD owes ds lunch, too...she promised him yesterday but that didn't work out so hopefully today is a better day.  She has her music lesson today but that's the only event on the calendar for the day.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 8:51am

Good morning,

This morning we want to accomplish a literature lesson, reading and highlighting in Grant and Lee (there is going to be a paper assigned after the fact having to do with virtue and using facts to support your answer,so highlighting as he reads will be a help later), and a bit of lapbook history project.  Then it is off to the bank, post office, card store, and the pool.  DS wants to do some laps.  I've pulled a beginning training schedule off of his old team's webpage to follow.  Home for lunch and then to the pet store to get a snail for Z's betta tank.  Math and science and more history await when we get home.  

My mom had her knee replacement yesterday and all went well.  She's happy for it to be over and is eager to start physical therapy. I"m glad she'll be pain free and back to normal in a few weeks.

DH comes home tonight and will be in town through the weekend. Good. We miss him.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 9:52am
Vegan is to time consuming for me to consider long term with multiple children in my home! All the subsitute food to create that are much easier to just buy as real world food! I have to much other real work to do, and other lifesyles choices can produce good health! It is a fun challege, that I enjoying messing with when I have extra kitchen time! H.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 10:06am

I have trouble finding enough planning time this year, and that has caused me more failures! I think the virus load in the home has been bad, so everyone is not getting the home chores done....so I fill in, or it does not get done and another virus will happen, lack of clean time and plan time for good health, makes it worse for the whole family!

I really want to blame it on middle school, as some viral crap has come home from that kid that is terrible. She has loved making new friends and she is my most social kid, so does fine in the school environment....but the illness crap alone, is enough to make me want to pull her back to home schooling. As it has thrown hell into my health care routines. I hope it is just lack of immune system strength and next year she is stronger....to fight virus, after being around so much illness and adjusted to less healthy habits and more stress. Major bad patterns seem to establish, and I don't like it!

I had more me time when they were not ill all the time, and I had to do a ton more thinking work...but had the good health to do it! The middle school needs to hire more janitors and buy more lysol I think! It will help the health of the whole community and this community has tons of immune suppressed sick people here who are seeking excellent health care suggestions and acomedations! If we have sick kids everywhere due to lack of funding in the public schools....they may all wish to go to Boston or another health focused city with big hospitals and self important Doctors all around them!

H.    

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 10:17am

One of my resolutions this year was to go vegan once a week for the day.  It morphed into once a week for lunch.  I like my dairy with breakfast.  Lunch is much easier to do.  Dinner would be too if I wasn't cooking for 2 carnivores!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 10:25am

Vegan substitutes? Our vegan lunch days are fruits, veggies, nuts or beans, and whole grains mixed together.  Black bean tacos are one of our favorite vegan lunches.as is chickpea and cranberry salad wrapped in lettuce.  I'm just using foods from home not buying anything special.  Am I doing it wrong?

Community Leader
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 5:29pm

Heather turtleemom, I'm glad your mom's knee replacement surgery went ok and I hope her recovery will proceed as expected.  Yay that dh will be home soon.  Enjoy your weekend Smile

Heather hbka20, we have enough vegan (or nearly-vegan just leave off the cheese) meals as it is, that it isn't too hard to be vegan for a day.  DS wasn't as thrilled with the choice for dinner, as he was with the lunch choice.  Guess he'll have to learn not to be so picky...since the whole thing was his idea, LOL.  Oh ha ha, they just caved.  Both of them.  The "punishment" for caving was walking the porch barefooted so they will do that together later, after having some cheese for supper.  I think the thought of pasta without freshly grated Parmesan was just too much to bear Laughing  I hope you can eliminate the germs from the house.  Ugh, I hate those little varmints that seem to attach themselves to people and come into the house.  I'm hoping my strong-ish immune system holds out for the rest of the winter.  So far so good...knocking on all the wood I can!

We do have a vegan sauce for mac n "cheese" that we like to make, but it's really not hard to do.  Vegan "sour cream" (or dressing) is easy to make too.  Other than that, we don't do much substituting.  DH doesn't like those things anyway...I have to really disguise if I'm going to sneak any sauce or tofu into something.  Which, of course, I am a total master of doing!  But, I'm only switching between vegetarian and vegan...it would be different, I would imagine, if we ate meat and had to figure out vegan from the usual diet!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting