Wednesday Homeschool Recess 2/20

Community Leader
Wednesday Homeschool Recess 2/20
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 8:45am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

No snow today actually...it'll wait until early Friday morning, just in time for my morning commute and another stressful day at work.  So today is easy with hopefully clear roads, LOL.

I'm headed out to get groceries after breakfast, and while I'm gone, ds will practice and then work with poppa to make a rope ladder for use in investigating hard-to-access spots in Arizona.  Like, "potholes" in the tops of mesas.  Did I mention the whole "helicopter access to the tops of mesas" part of the project?  I didn't, did I.  That will probably be in August.  But they want to take the rope ladder out in April when the drive the jeep out, so it has to be done by then.

Dd has a doctor's appointment this afternoon...her regular check but we're throwing in the respiratory issues too.  i think she might have pneumonia?  Her latest symptoms are awfully similar to how my friend's son presented, except he had a fever and was sicker and she's not.  We shall see.  She's been miserable...but we had the appointment today so we're just holding out for that.  Poor girl.  I just hope she can sing on Sunday.  She really was looking forward to the concert.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 9:29am

Are you kids going back in August and in a helicopter?   Hope the doctor can clear up DD's health issues once and for all.  

You had asked about our trip to AZ.  It will be in late April and it is a mix of tourism and school.  We'll be staying in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains.  We plan to visit the Titan Missile SIlo, San Xavier del Bac Mission, Kitt peak Observatory for their telescope tours and evening sky program.  The Sonoran Desert Wildlife Museum will be an all day excursion. We should have ample time to hike, sketch, and enjoy the pool.  We'll visit with the ILs for a couple of days and tour Frank Lloyd Wright's home Taliesin West.  I had hoped to add on a camping trip to the Grand Canyon, but I can't afford to leave the animals any longer, with the cat & fish sitter plus the dog sitter we're looking at $60 a day wihch adds up over the 10 days so the Grand Canyon will have to wait for next time.

Last trip we stopped at Petrified Forest and Cadillac Ranch to break up the drive.  The cars were a sight to behold and we did partake in the welcome  graffiti-ing.  I'd like to find another roadside diversion for the drives there and back- on the way and under 2 hours of our time.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 9:36am

It's bowling day!  Our friend and new homeschooler is joining us and I hope it all goes well as this is her first homeschool expereince.  There is one boy in the group who is a bully or as his mom calls it "just super competitive".  Um, punching kids is not being competitive, but anyway...  

We've got a Middle Ages lesson, and 2 World History lessons to accomplish this morning.  This afternoon we have some lap books stuff to work on about the Civil War. Math will have to fit in there somewhere and our read aloud.  

Community Leader
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 8:36pm

Yes, ds will be involved in the helicopter expedition in August, if it happens.  (They're still working on securing funding but it's looking fairly certain.)  DD won't be going on that trip...adding a female into a group of men would require different hotel accomodations and added expense.  (She's probably going to Europe next summer on the choir trip, so she will swallow the bitter pill this summer and look forward to next year...LOL.)

Your AZ plans sound like fun.  You'll be there right after my people...not the same part of the state though, LOL.

Yea I don't call punching kids being "competitive" but whatever.  Sounds like his mom needs to stop sugar-coating the kid's behaviors and start teaching him to be nice.  I always tell my kids, hitting can land you in jail when you're older, so learn now not to do it!  Hope the new hsing friend had fun, anyway.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting