Weekend Wiggles 1/26 & 1/27

Community Leader
Weekend Wiggles 1/26 & 1/27
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 1:43am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out.  Weekends are for fun too!

Looks like the snow has pretty much left the area...we'll at least hang onto it for a couple of days before it warms up again (sigh!) and rains and turns it to a sloppy melty mess.  Seriously, this is January.  Not that I like it to be 50 below for days on end, but at least stay cold enough to keep the snow (and give us more!).  Winters these days are certainly not what they were when I was a child!

So last night at supper my children were bemoaning the fact that they had to get up this morning (for church) and couldn't have a leisurely morning.  After I got to work and talked to them, they said something about "fixing breakfast together".  Well, it turns out, they've invited the grandparents to come have breakfast and they are putting on a veritable feast!  Which means that I am under strict instructions to wake them up AS SOON as I get home.  They have to have everything prepared and eaten by 8:40!  To their credit, they did quite a bit of prep work last night...scrubbed potatoes so they can make hash browns, baked biscuits, and made gravy.  They'll just have to cook the potatoes and fix scrambled tofu this morning, but still.  I just have to say, I have two very terrific kids.  They said "goodness only knows, grandma and poppa have fixed breakfast for us many many times over the years, so fixing breakfast for them is the least we can do".  Awwwww, heartbreakers, I tell ya.  I dearly love it when they get along and have a cooperative effort like this.  They seem to have fun doing it.

As for me, I hope I have a nice long sleep.  I may or may not have to give dd a ride somewhere...depending on how well she is sounding or not sounding.  She never quite gets over the bug, and then she goes and spends a night or two with friends, and then she gets sick again (even though she claims she goes to bed early and gets lots of sleep...yea right!).  She wasn't sounding all that hot last night, after having friends over for two nights, so I'm dubious that she should really be going off tonight.  I will do my best to keep her at home, and maybe have dh give her a ride to meet and talk to the friends but not spend the night.  I'm trying to get her well because Wednesday she goes away for a 4-night visit on the other side of the state!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 9:59am

I've dictated my grocery list to DH (who typed it into his phone), he's got the photos on a memory stick to have developed,  and he and DS are about ready to walk out the door for bowling.  I plan to continue my kitchen cleaning and hope to get some laundry done and the living room dusted-maybe the family room too.  This afternoon, we have some school. I am making chicken masala with jasmine rice and some kind of Indian inspired veggie thing for dinner.  Tonight is Gettysburg, since DS was exhausted yesterday when he got home.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-26-2013 - 8:43pm
d15 is outside with our two doglets and one we've been dogsitting since Thursday: Tippy looks like a little red fox with a white tipped tail, a long haired Chihuahua. Our (somewhat obese) smaller C. and C./Pekinese mix are very plain...no, almost grotesque next to her. dd has constructed a sort of doggie obstace course from boards and boxes (I' d untaped them for recycling, but she folded them back into shape. That child is never bored. dd19 is trying to find an attractive medical alert bracelet on the internet...the neoprene bracelets she used to adore "bug" her and she "hates" the plain stainless ones from the drugstore. dh is probably working on atmospheric scintillation...just replaced his bike inner tube and thought he might go for a ride, but decided against a ride. I had suggested taking pizza to the state park and made a regular and a gluten free, but with the wind at 19 and the temperature in the low sixties, it felt cold and the place we like to eat at the park is on top of a hill with a view all around. The cats are distributed in the comfortable sleeping places in the house...in the armchairs, on my bed, on the floor. Maybe outside...they have been rediscovering the outside as the snow recedes and the temperature rises. There's still a little mound of snow that fell off the garage roof, and little lump from what was originally a fort in the front yard with one wall made of two snowballs almost three feet high, but the warm weather has melted all of the snow to the north of the house...yesterday there was still a fairly large section several inches deep. It's almost 69F outside now...dh is regretting that he decided to not ride his bike, but with the wind it doesn't feel very warm. dd19 and dh are studying Korean. dd15 will decide is she wants to play with horses and let me know. So now...housework. Oops...forgot to post. Back from horses. I talked with my friend's dad, who is watching the house while she is out of town. He was wearing a Butte Symphony t-shirt...it turns out he played trombone in the Butte Symphony; I used to play violin and then viola in the Bozeman Symphony, so we chatted about their conductor in common (after my time)...the dad said he was a bit "rough around the edges" at first. That meant that he used salty language "that men used to use to other men, but not to women, out of respect". But he had good musical ideas and got less salty with time. (I don't think I've ever had a profanity laced conductor...can't even remember anything mildly inappropriate.) And we talked about the weather: people who live/have lived in places with nasty climates love to talk about it, and then bluster on with stuff like how 45 below and dry is better than 20 above and humid. I just opened a box with my gluten free lasagne noodles and found four books in as well...I think that means I'm missing only two, one probably lost in the mail. Deborah
Community Leader
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 12:44am

turtleemom wrote:
<p>I've dictated my grocery list to DH (who typed it into his phone), he's got the photos on a memory stick to have developed,  and he and DS are about ready to walk out the door for bowling.  I plan to continue my kitchen cleaning and hope to get some laundry done and the living room dusted-maybe the family room too.  This afternoon, we have some school. I am making chicken masala with jasmine rice and some kind of Indian inspired veggie thing for dinner.  Tonight is Gettysburg, since DS was exhausted yesterday when he got home.</p>

Cuz...you do know...if you'd come on that trip with your hubby, we were totally going to have Indian food.  There's a nice place in town that has a lunch buffet and half of the stuff on the buffet is vegetarian so we can enjoy a meal Smile  DD was there with Poppa and she says they're having a Valentine's special with a buffet all day (vs at lunch time). Too bad dh and I both work on V Day (plus he dislikes Indian food).  I told dd to take grandma out for V day, LOL.

Sue

Community Leader
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 12:51am

I'm told that the kids' breakfast for the grandparents was very nice indeed.  I heard reports from both sides and it seems it was a popular and fun idea, with delicious food too, and dd even shared a devotional thought that had touched her when she read before getting up in the morning.  

Today ds sings (his little "professional" gig that's a regular once a month thing now).  He's mildly battling a cold but he doesn't have any unsually high notes so he'll be fine as long as he doesn't sneeze on his (neck) ruffle, LOL.  DH has to take him to sing since I'll be sleeping.  Let's hope they manage some decent father/son conversation on the car ride.  At least there won't be any bad weather...we're between "events" LOL.  

DD's cold or whatever it is sounds rougher.  Sigh.  I'm hearing of a lot people's bugs turning into pneumonia and I'm hoping that's not the direction this is going.  She actually listened and didn't insist on going to a friend's for the night like she wanted to.  Hopefully a day or two of chilling, hot showers, and hot fluids will turn the corner for her, but if not, I will have to get her in to the doctor.

Sue

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 9:40am
wish my kids would eat that...I love hot spicy foods but all they would eat would be the rice! I have made it just for the adults and shared rice and made the kids some other dish but that requires a lot more effort, so I don't do it often! YUM. I need to make another grocery list....why cant the fridge just instantly restock itself...a fridge genie, would be nice! H.
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 9:59am

It has been a bad illness year all around, and I will pray for her quick healing! The flu/colds ect....were starting to make me nuts so I have been ever more aggressive in jumping into action to cure the illness with the last few bouts of whatever. Forcing active kids to stay in bed is a big dread, but I forced it and they did heal faster. Plus tons of hot fluids....tea, soup, whatever. Plus just anything nutritious and full of fluids...jello, fruit, ect. Herbal/vitamin stuff forced on them, but it worked, they healed fast. I was exhausted nursing them back to health and stressy, but they were back to fun times and happy smiles...and that is what I wanted.

I have cleaned and disinfected like a nut, and watched as people washed hands a long time (gone thru extra soap refills so I know they are washing)....but still, the bugs/illness are bad this year! No matter the prevention, diet or lifestyle. The news folks, they keep reporting on number of flu related deaths, and so the hospitals are busy too!  

I had a spa morning yesterday, to massage out some of the stress and pain, that was stiffening me up, from all the extra health care,and healing work! I feel a little achier than after some massages so I know there was a lot more stress in me than I even realized. Today kids get there winter job of pet sitting for someone excaping to the beach for the rest of winter. So I get to go manage that. I think this year they may be able to have less manager mom over seeing, (lets hope) since they are older and have done the job before, so they should be able to handle more of the responsibility with it. Yet one Cat is elderly, so I will feel the need to check on him myself a bit more, than if both pets were middle aged. Ice in forecast, not snow....bummer.

Heather

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 10:07am

I knew we would go for Indian food!  Things went well, so we will see if they become a client..  Fingers crossed. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 10:12am

Their breakfast sounds deligthful and I'm sure the grandparents appreciated it.  Hope K1 is better soon.  She needs to squash this bug once and for all!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 10:21am

I did not realize that Gettysburg was a 4 hour movie!   We finished the first disc and were stunned at the abruptness of the ending only to realize we needed to turn the disc over.  This morning we will finish the last 2 hours.  Zeph is loving it and commenting on what's going on and identifying the characters DH and I can't keep straight.  I am rather bored with it, but he's happy we're all watching.

This evening we are going to see The Music Man.  We're excited about our evening at the theater. 

Community Leader
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 11:41pm

LOL, not realizing how long Gettysburg is.  Yea, it's a long one.  I remember watching it at work (in sections because we kept getting calls!) with my co-worker that was in it.  

Hope Music Man was fun.  76 Trombones Smile

OOOOh I hope E-Free likes your hubby's company so you can come have Indian food.  Maybe the trip will be either a) when the weather is nicer for outdoor activities, or b) when the museum is open.  Or both!

Sue

Pages