~~~Weekend Wiggles~~~ 2/9 & 2/10

Community Leader
~~~Weekend Wiggles~~~ 2/9 & 2/10
Sat, 02-09-2013 - 1:15am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  Weekends are for fun too!

This night is unfortunately dragging on entirely too long.  It's only half over.   I really would like to be at home, snuggly in my warm cozy bed.  Whine.  Sigh.

DD has a friend over for most of the weekend.  Very nice girl...doesn't seem to have parents who are responsive to her needs, but she appreciates that we care and came bearing "surprises" for all of us, LOL.  She often chats me on facebook in the evening to talk about her day.  She just switched schools mid-year and that's been stressful...but she's getting better grades so that's a plus for her emotional health.  She's nice to ds and ds likes her so that's a good thing too, LOL.  

DS is playing organ for church this morning (just one piece) and he invited his counselor to attend and hear him play, so hopefully that counselor will do that.  It sure would make a little boy a very happy little boy.  I forgot to tell you that he has a new tie to wear.  I know, what's so big about a tie?  Well this is a bolo tie, a gift from the Indian guide in Arizona.  You might remember that he visited in November.  He sent thank you gifts to the family.  DS and my dad each got a bolo tie with an etched silver clasp that has a gemstone inset (I forget now what it is...something green).  DD's gift is especially pretty...it's a large etched silver cross with some other kind of green stone in it (not turquoise...more green than that) and it hangs on a thick silver twisted cord type chain.  Very pretty.  Now they're looking forward even more to their planned Arizona trip in April.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-09-2013 - 11:38am

Arizona in April should be wonderful, not to hot yet, maybe still some spring bloom. I am waiting for people to leave, it takes them forever to go away. They are having a field trip and I hope to clean up my office, cluttery school work messes and unfiled everything. I can no longer fuction in the clutter and no one can find anything....including me, so that is a problem level. Peace maybe, even with work to do will be amazing! Office workers who get daily Peace without children do not know how amazing the have it. Yet, I am sort of addicted to kids even with clutter, craziness and sas-talk. But some work must be done wthout them in my classroom/home. I will enjoy the sounds of refridgerators, fish tanks and pets, and no talking! Ah, nice.

Tomorrow....who knows the excitement level my life may get, maybe we will bake some muffins!

Heather        

Community Leader
Sat, 02-09-2013 - 10:00pm

Mmmm Muffins.  That reminds me that I froze some chocolate chip-banana muffins.  They should get eaten, LOL.

Last year they went to Arizona in May and the cacti were blooming and it was very springlike (for Arizona, anyway, LOL).  Hopefully the beginning of April will be similar.  I'd love for dd to get to see that.  DS is so excited that she's part of this trip.  He can't wait to have her share the experience with her.  She may get to do a concert at their Indian guide's church, too.  He's checking into it.  That would be cool.

Sue

Community Leader
Sun, 02-10-2013 - 1:40am

Busy day, but not for me.  I just get to sleep Innocent  

DS is going skiing with a group.  $15 for 6 hours of skiing, including equipment and lift ticket.  Can't beat that price.  I don't have to take him because my work partner's ears perked up at the price (he snowboards), so I conned him into going, and now he's going to end up driving a vanful of kids, so he won't have to pay for gas plus I paid for his skiing in return for his taking ds...so he pretty much gets a free day of skiing, LOL.

DD is going to the mall for the day.  I know, such a teenager-ish thing to do, LOL.  Today is Wellness Day at the mall. Area wellness providers of all sorts will have displays at the mall.  My parents always have a booth to promote healthy lifestyles and in particular, advertise the vegan cooking class that begins this coming Thursday.  (American Cancer Society is one of the major promoters of the event, and the local chapter asked my parents to be part of this a long time ago...they're a permanent fixture, LOL.)  DD is going to help my parents, but she's also going to have a small corner of their area in which to promote her Project H.O.P.E. and help raise awareness and support for people like herself.  She made up brochures and business cards and she's hoping to make be able to make a difference to people she talks to.  She's recently been leaving sticky notes with encouraging messages (and the website link) in public bathrooms for people to find.  Every time she leaves a note she gets a new follower.  She even got ds to leave a note in the men's bathroom the other day, LOL.  They were at the mall Thursday and left 4 sticky notes, and she had 4 new followers in our area.  Hmmmm, connection?  Anyway, she's doing everything she can to make a difference and let people know that they are not alone in their struggles.

Sue

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-10-2013 - 2:55pm

Muffin were great, and made extra for the week ahead. Yet...I got really creative with soup for lunch. I combined a couple ideas I had seen on TV or read in cooking magazines and created awesome, soup. A dark, rich, smooth very satisfying califlower soup. Could be Vegan but we topped ours with some cheese, and had it with crusty warm french bread. It warmed on the inside, and low calorie to boot!  Basically I combined a onion and rice puree with a califlower and garlic/ginger puree, into velvety heaven in a bowl!  The three here ate it. Then teens had better plans that involved food courts and no being home and bored with the old folks and the baby sister..who before long will probably join teen world, but no to soon I hope, a few more years as my little girl! She is an excellent help in the kitchen!

Now I am  tired, but on call for taxi duty, so I will just snooze of sofa until I am called! I even got the kitchen mostly cleaned up, so monday does not start out a mess! A few more before week starts things to do. But snooze first with a little basketball on TV.

Heather

Community Leader
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 12:17am

The soup sounds amazing!  It sort of sounds like a rice soup that my Filipino friend made and brought to a church dinner.  I could have eaten the whole pot myself, LOL.

Sue

Community Leader
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 12:21am

DD's Project HOPE booth at the mall went very well.  She had some negative encounters at first, with people saying she was "seeking attention" and "flaunting" her issues (thanks, Justin Bieber fans with your recent faux cutting, for making light of a serious issue!) but the day ended up turning much more positive.  She has two speaking invitations (at a school, and a youth group) and received many positive messages of support for herself, as well as being able to share.  After talking with her, one lady went and got her friend and came back, because the friend had just found out that her daughter has been cutting and she wanted to know how to get help for her.  She had many more stories to share but I won't go into them here, LOL.  I'm sure the mall loved being peppered with sticky notes, too.  Oh, and the newspaper interviewed her.  Almost forgot that!  If it gets in, I'm sure it'll be part of an article about the wellness day event.

DS had a great day skiing.  He said he only fell once.  My co-worker that took him said the day was terrific too.  I guess I'll have to believe them.  The bad thing was it started raining when they were leaving to come home...and the temp was several degrees cooler than forecast, so it was freezing on the roads really bad. They made it home ok, thankfully.  My co-worker was smart enough to make the kids starve and eat when they got back to town (he took them to Pizza Hut) rather than stopping to eat up there (two hours away) and then having the roads be that much worse when they did head home. I'm sure ds is sleeping very well tonight, LOL.

Sue