~~~Weekend Wiggles~~~ 4/13 & 4/14

Community Leader
~~~Weekend Wiggles~~~ 4/13 & 4/14
Sat, 04-13-2013 - 8:13am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out and play.  It's recess time!

I'm eating my last solitary breakfast.  The mango stealing smoothie sharing munchkins will be home in less than 24 hours!  I hope to get a good nap this afternoon because we'll be up most of the night.  They're on a red-eye special that gets in to Detroit at 1:30 Sunday morning, and since they drove to AZ, there's no car awaiting them in Detroit like there usually would be!  Good thing dh and I are both very good at staying up (and in his case, driving around) all night!  Yesterday I finally started feeling a bit melancholy and ready for them to be around.  The break from uber-intense parenting has been much deserved, and I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the "mom job" once again...perhaps with a few self-imposed rest and relaxation periods that I've learned to enjoy!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-13-2013 - 9:13am

Zeph is working on an online history lesson.  In a bit we'll all leave for bowling.  After Zeph bowls, we'll all go out to lunch, the craft store and then grocery shopping.  School this afternoon and cleaning for me. DH ahs some stuff to do around the house too. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-14-2013 - 10:42am

What an amazing spring day!  The birds are singing, the sun is shining, and it is already in the 50s, heading for low 70s later.  The pups are out playing and everyone else is stil sleeping.  The boys have plans to clean the yard this morning and I'd like to take the pups for a walk. 

After lunch Zeph has a bowling tournament- they play for trophies and scholarship money.   Once we get home, there were talks of a bike ride before

A bit later... 

The sun has disappeared.  It looks and smells like rain-again.  

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-14-2013 - 11:46am

My body is in deep protest over my lack of resting it as it wanted, it threatening me with higher levels of pain, woke with a miagraine, swelling and other stuff. So Guess I will not leave my room and not leave the bed except for bathroom visits and to brush my teeth. It is the peace agreement my body seems to think will work. Otherwise is says it will up the threat level....maybe heart palpataions/breakdowns or death. Darn body, it knows my mind is stronger but it have secret weapons it will bring out! SO breakfast in bed.

We had a great campus visit. They showed me an awesome classroom with a storm shelter attached. Great white board and comfy looking seating...new addition room. I really liked it, I wanted a room full of kids and a dry erase marker....then I remembered I was not there for a job, I was there to drop of a kid for 4 years. Then I did not like it, at all. I will not be there, I will be 4 hours away. Then I started feeling weird feelings of loss and vulnerbilty and I started thinking of all the bad things that could happen to her, without me. Why can't she just school at home online? They offer that, and it is cheaper. Plus I have nicer dorm facilites by far! Yet, she says NO....she is leaving me for the 4 years and she does not care about crappy dorms...she wants to be in one with her peers! She does not need me...they have hired people like me and I must pay them and pay for crappy dorms and everything. SO then, I just wanted to go home and cry. She likes all the schools especially since she will get to be all grown up and independent and only have to text mom....not show mom her homework and stuff. DONT LIKE THAT! I am thinking the college I did not see 2 hours or less from here sounds better. I think she loves the idea of 4 hours away.....away from me. She wants to take my car, my credit cards and smash my heart! And I am suppose to be happy about it. I am not. So...I am trying to deal with feelings. I have a miagraine.

SHe is MINE...and she wants to leave me....maybe forever....she just wants money now. :( To create her own and all of my savings too. She knows I will give it, if she promises to come back for holidays. I created a monster.  

Heather          

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 9:38am

Hopfully a day of rest is what your body needed.

I can't tell if you are being facetious talking about college. If not, does your DD have a spread sheet comparing the schools with categories such as class size, classes taught by TA or by a professor, professor accessibility for non class time, social actvities on campus, public transportation, environment of campus- rural or city- how much financial aid will be given,  opportunities to work,  internships, how long it takes to complete a typcial degree, job plament services after degree,  what is access like to technology- rooms with WIFI, services to  troubleshoot or fix when computers go down.  Has she eaten in the cafeteria, spent the night in a dorm with other studetns to get a feel for the place without parents, sat in on one or more classes?  Distance should play a part in the decision, epsecially if she will want to come home frequently.  As far as your money goes, isn't she working to help save for college or at the least spending money?  

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 11:19am

Heather With Girls, I really enjoyed your post.  A lot.  But don't be sad...she will be back.  Today we happened to be at ds22's school on his birthday...and managed to see him long enough to give him a card (with $$$!) from his grandmother, give him a hug, and make tentative plans to go out for dinner or have a picnic on Friday.  And he hung out with us for a while.  And he offered to fix my car.  dd19 is ready to fly the coop too, or leap out of the nest, or whatever.  It seems to me that she is just fine here!  But that is just me, wanting to bask in the days before she leaves the nest forever...now that she is reasonable and pleasant and helpful...she wants to leave!

Deborah