~~~Weekend Wiggles~~~ 5/25 & 5/26

Community Leader
~~~Weekend Wiggles~~~ 5/25 & 5/26
Sat, 05-25-2013 - 8:24am

Hey moms and grandmas, come on out.  Weekends are for fun too!

Shoot, forgot to set my alarm last night I think.  I was so tired, anything is possible.  I didn't oversleep by much at least, and it wasn't a work day so all is well.  Whew.  

Picked a bunch of morel mushrooms yesterday and ds decided he was going to like them now.  Shoot, we have to share!  He was so excited though, that they were palatable.  He loves to find them in the yard, so liking to eat them is the icing on the cake.  With the abundant rain this week, we're still finding them popping up, so I'll pick another batch tonight or tomorrow morning and, at ds' request, make an omelette with them.  

We actually were able to re-schedule the zipline for tomorrow!  I was so surprised that they'd have openings on a holiday weekend.  The weather is supposed to be perfect...no chance of rain until Tuesday...so I think we're safe this time!

Going to enjoy today's sunshine even if it is a little bit cooler (in the 60s).  That's good for me.  I have a new cute (blue on Saturday for fallen police officers) outfit to wear to church, and I think we'll take a bike ride this afternoon.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-25-2013 - 10:46am

DH is going grocery shopping this morning.   I just finished typing up the list. Hopefully he'll go to Ulta and pick up my shampoo too.   Then he needs to read about Zeph's new camera so he can teach Zeph how to use it.  My guess is that they are commendaring my laptop for the day for photo editing and downloading practice. I think they also paln to work on one of Zeph's model rockets. 

I have a day of laundry, dishes and ironing ahead.  My goal is to do 12 loads of laundry-washed, dried and folded.  I want to get care sheet for the pups typed up (emergency numbers, quirks, etc.) for the dog sitter.     

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-25-2013 - 11:32am

My daughters headache decided my head was next, so suffering last night and it still hurts today. Mine was a miagraine type deal. So no running around like a crazy person cause that would hurt more.  I do not like the new meds they gave me. They do not knock out the miagraine like the old ones did that are no longer available. Maybe allergies made it happen, they have been worse lately. Illness stuff is just making me useless lately. Glad my kids can do a lot with little direction as far as education and house work. They just do not stay on schedule and argue a bit more without me a part of it all.  Rain in forecast none at this second, so the man in the family is out messing with yard work. The whole weekend will be about watching the rain clouds, and dodging rain if we want to go outside, to grill or anything. In fact the whole seven days has chance of rain in it. Going to be a non planned sort of weekend. Healing stuff is taking over, everything. Maybe to the pool for PT on my knee. I need stamina and that takes sooooo much time to gain back.

Heather     

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-25-2013 - 11:38am
My husband killed my Science project, to save the Apple tree. I have to be sad that the caterpillars are dead. No I need to go outside and find a new Science project to watch. There is gardening going on, but I pulled apart hydro-lab and put it all in dirt. What will we watch for observation work? I guess not the destruction of the Apple tree. We will be bored mini scientist. Guess we can go play in the kitchen and create good eats for better self healing science. Not near the fun of apple tree destruction. H
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-26-2013 - 10:25am

I got 10 loads washed, dried, and put away  Load 11 did get dried but is sitl in there waiting to be put away.  Great quantities of ironing got done.  I did another sweep through Zeph's closet and pulled out more that doesn't fit.  More laundry today- hoping for 8 loads finished.   

DH has to run out to return the movie (Hobbit yesterday).  Zeph has a regular school day.  I'm trying to reach a good stopping point before our trip in a couple of subjects. This afternon we're grilling burgers, along with corn on the cob, pasta salad, and having cherry pie for desert.   

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-26-2013 - 7:32pm
Thats a lot of laundry, be proud! I had another headache this morning, stupid new medicine, not taking anymore. It does not help, maybe hinders. So between illness and rain, I am not doing much. I helped a little with cutting strawberries, making coffee, stuff like that, not doing big cooking cause when I lean down my head hurts more. Trying to stay more unplugged and rest. Kids have been good kids, that helps my headache a ton. Not a great exciting holiday but happy to just rest and hopefully feel better soon. Guess add another Dr. apt to my list again! Spring time seems to add to headaches, crazy. I wish I could go thru closets and get organizing done, but it is just not happening! Oh well, what gets done, will have to be enough for now! Happy Memorial day. Thank you, to anyone in the service to others, for the Freedom and safety of all of us! Heather
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-26-2013 - 8:19pm
dh went to work for a while (programming) and took his clothes and some towels to the two big washers and commercial dryer. There's still a horrid pile of dirty clothes in the hallway. Last week I was catching up at work and it was raining (big thunderheads outside now but not clear any rain will result) and damp and I didn't do the usual couple of loads a day. Not to mention the sheets. I said I'd make supper for dh so will start that soon. Then he goes back to work...if the clouds go away, it's collimation time. dd15 had asked me a couple of weeks ago if we could set a date to go to the artesian springs and invite a homeschool friend. So I picked today, not realizing it was Memorial Day weekend! So...I actually prefer to go swimming there in the late afternoon when the sun isn't as bright, but we agreed to meet there at about 10 a.m. because after the park is full, they only let people in as other people leave. We got there at 10:04 and joined the line of cars waiting to get in...we got one of the last overflow parking spaces. Our friends were there: three other girls, the parents, and another dad, plus our carload. The first thing that happened was that the grey bearded patriarch of a family that had put their stuff on a nearby picnic table didn't like where we'd put our stuff: between their picnic table and the pool. The man kicked our towels, grinding them into the dirt, and were verbally abusive to dh (his daughter called dh "the rudest man I've ever met") and made a big show of moving the picnic table, which they were not sitting at anyway. The trash talk continued; after he threatened to "whup your a$$" to my husband, I went to get a ranger but fortunately my friend had already done so. No more trouble on that front...dd19 was horrified and told dh and me that we should have handled it differently. I told her that I hadn't realized that some adults behave like schoolyard bullies, and although the encounter had left me feeling sullied (dh felt that way too), I hadn't done anything wrong, although if I had realized what was going to happen ahead of time I would have probably approached it differently. I told dd19 that appeasement is NOT a productive way to deal with bullies: she'd thought that that problem would go away if we'd just complied with their demands. Not in my experience... Anyway, the girls swam and played on their various floating toys until a little after three, and then dh drove us home...by this time the sky had turned from blue to cloudy and it was raining a little. Yesterday we drove our chamber music buddy's car to his house (He left it with us, with instructions to drive it every couple of weeks. Of course the first time we did this, we had to replace the battery. It looks like the oil should be changed...we're joking that he left it with us so that we can replace the parts one by one while he is gone and will come back to a new car.) and watered his peach tree and ate snacks and when dh went to turn off the water, there was a rattlesnake with a long rattle (almost two inches) and tiny head lying in the concrete trough that drains rainwater away from the house, which is built on a steep hill. So I got a couple of big yogurt containers of water, planning to pour it in the trough so the snake could decide it did not like to be wet and ease away, but dh took one of them and tossed its eater at the snake and it shot straight at its hidey hold under the house...it was about two feet long and parts of it were the thickness of a fifty cent piece. dh claimed that it was perfectly camouflaged, but it was darkly mottled, lying on white cement and a green hose, so really not that hard to see. We had stopped at the hardware store in town on the way, to get some wood and saw blades and wood glue and sandpaper for my project (still spread on the garage floor), and we'd driven by a house we thought we might be interested in. It's in a nice section of town, has a metal roof and cinder block walls (stuccoed on the outside) and is fenced all the way around and has an amazing garden with a potting shed and workshop...so we arranged by phone to see the house on the way back. Well...if the inside had matched the outside, it would have worked well for us. The workshop in the back was actually a sort of warren of little sheds, mostly stuck together...that could be considered quaint, and removable if one didn't like it. But the inside had been subject to too much DIY...paneling on most of the walls (at least it probably covered the lead paint that was certainly there originally), high pile tan carpet installed over the original oak floors, the windows and storm windows metal framed (probably original), the two bedrooms claustrophobia inducing because a porch on the back of the house had been expanded and enclosed, so no access to fresh air or light from the bedrooms, the original garage turned into a sort of den with icky carpet, the bathroom a typical disaster with the toilet about to fall through the floor. The assessed price was less than half of the asking price; I thought 20K plus the assessed price would be fair, given the amount of work that would have to be done to make it pleasant for me to live in. The problem with our area is that the real estate market is driven by well to do retirees and land speculators, and everyone is convinced that their tiny house in need of updates is worth the entire amount of money that dh and I will make in the rest of our working lives. So it's continued rental on site now...I'd stay here forever but the institution is trying to run everything "like a business" and match the rental rates to 80% of the inflated local market, no mind that we're actually not in town, and that the employees in my dh's department who live on site can pretty much be summoned at any hour of the day or night...the salaries are certainly not 80% of market value for that sort of work. Frustrating, because it's dh's dream job (or at least one of them). I have taken my two aspirin to try to banish headache from too much sun (even in shade of trees) and dehydration...so now going to work on kitchen and something for dh to eat. Tuesday looms as a sort of deadline: really must figure out schedule for the dd's summer: dd19 has had a lot of trouble trying to find the status of her camp lifeguard job (no answers to emails, usual packet not in mail, etc.) and dd15 has invitation for visit but I'm not sure of dates, or if she will have opportunities to visit other friends. So now...food preparation. Deborah p.s. Heather, RE the science project...I've seen what those caterpillars can do to trees. Your husband may be anti science, but he is very practical!
Community Leader
Sun, 05-26-2013 - 9:46pm

Zipline adventure done!  Wow, was that fun.  I seem to be the most gimped though.  I rolled my ankle on a tree root, and then a couple of ziplines later, I swiveled just as I came in and tangled my other ankle in the brake rope and got a lovely bruise/rope burn.  My kids now think I'm old because I injured.  Oh well, LOL.  Really, it was lovely.  The scenery through the trees was beautiful (would be nice in fall!) and the walk was nice and the lines were fun.  I can't bring myself to let go and hang upside down or any such thing.  Oh well.  I will happily put out fires and rescue people...but give me a rope to hang on to while I zip!  I will try to post a pic if/when dd gets some edited and ready.

In other news, dd and i did some talking and looking at graduation requirements and what she's accomplished and what she has left to do.  She only needs 6 more credits to graduate (1 math, 1 science, 2 English, 2 literature).  So, she wants to get an early start on English & lit, and be able to graduate in a year!  I don't have a problem with this, as her college plans involve her staying local for at least a couple of years at community college and then moving to university (possibly still local).  She's excited.  Terribly excited, in fact.  So excited that she is excited to be doing school over summer. Seriously, LOL.  (Is this the same child that lived here a year ago?  Look how far she has progressed!)  She has several friends (both homeschooled and regular schooled) that are accelerating as well.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-27-2013 - 8:33am

It is a ton of laundry and I wish I could say I am almost done but I have laundry pile the size of  a small mountain in the garage of extra bedding, and DH's work and summer clothes and misc. linens.  Somehow in the move, the laundry baskets got moved into the garage with some dirty laundry still in them and the pile just grew.  After each hotel stay his clothes stay out there to make sure no bedbugs from hotels and then it was just easy to throw stuff out there- out of site, out of mind.   While our favorite clothes were in rotation in the hampers in th house, most of DH's stuff is out there.  It's embarassing!  It looks like a scecne from Hoarders. I'm making progress, but I think it will take me until the end of June to have caught up.   

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-27-2013 - 8:40am

Hope your headache goes away.  Migraines are no fun. When I have one I either need to lie in the dark until I throw up (so much better after that) or if it is one that causes aphasia (much more common), I just nap until It has passed. For whatever reason a foot rub helps immensely.  I don't take anything but Advil, but from a holistic standpoint have found ways that seem to be preventing them from happening daily. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-27-2013 - 8:49am

Deb

Ugh on the bully and good for you for not tolerating it.  Sorry he put a damper on your day.  Good luck on the real estate search!    

Pages