Marines cut tuition assistance from $3500 to $875

iVillage Member
Marines cut tuition assistance from $3500 to $875
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 11:44am
The U.S. Marine Corps drastically cut what it will pay for Marines to take classes, and some Marines say that's a big hit to morale.

Three active-duty Marines spoke to News4 on condition of anonymity for fear of getting in trouble with the corps.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 1:30pm

The fact that 87% using the TA take <=5 semester hrs may be justification for changing the program for new marines, but not for those who enlisted with the understanding that the benefit would cover much more of their education.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 8:35pm

I should probably start out with the disclaimer that among my 3 sons I have 1 Marine and 2 soldiers....

This whole thing makes me angry.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-26-2011 - 7:43pm
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 7:04am

You're right Sabr, they're not really going to be saving much here - but the change in policy is taking a HUGE hit on morale in the USMC, especially in the lower enlisted ranks.

FWIW, all US forces except embassy personnel (and there are a few hundred Marines that are on staff at each of our embasies worldwide) will be out of Iraq by January 1st, as in 2 months from now.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 9:19am

You're right Sabr, they're not really going to be saving much here - but the change in policy is taking a HUGE hit on morale in the USMC, especially in the lower enlisted ranks.

I completely agree. I remember how much cuts like these hurt morale when I was in the Army , because, let's face it, we all *think* we're going to do a lot more than we actually do, so even if only 13% use it, I bet 75% hope/plan to use it! And since I got out right at the beginning of the mideast debacle, when morale wasn't actually that bad, I can't imagine how cuts like these hurt morale these days. I mean, we're asking SO much more of all the services in the time deployed, then we take away their benefits? And as others have

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 8:28am
Do you think this is similiar to parents of college students pulling the rug out from their kids?
"sorry we can no longer afford to pay for your college while we go on spending x on y"
How many relationships would be damaged?

For me, this doubles down on morale, especially because as an enlisted service person... You have to listen and take orders from officers... Officers who you trust...officers making decisions you can not question... who are now reversing what they orginally sold/told their recruits/enlisted

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 10:20am

Do you think this is similiar to parents of college students pulling the rug out from their kids? "sorry we can no longer afford to pay for your college while we go on spending x on y" How many relationships would be damaged?

Completely agree with this comparison. I don't think parents are obligated to pay, but

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 11:01am
<>
I cannot comprehend people "buying" something without understanding exactly what it will cost--but of course, they do it all the time. I also cannot understand people who "punish" their spouses by buying costly items or ordering up a remodel. Even if they do not work, don't they know what the "family" income is?? I certainly do, down to the penny. I am well aware what we can, and CANNOT, afford to spend.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 7:42am

<>

It is hard to believe that parents would tell their children they'd pay for college, without knowing the cost. I'd never heard of that, but I guess it does happen.

The State of MI also pulled the rug out when they discontinued the ironically-titled "Promise Scholarship".

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

Pages