Tuition break.

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Registered: 12-31-1969
Tuition break.
3
Thu, 07-19-2012 - 2:59pm

When our 2nd DS starts to look at colleges in a couple of years, this time around I'd be interested in smaller, private schools.  I'm not sure which would be a better fit for him.  We didn't look around with current son, as he  knew he wanted a large school and we would just be applying to the state schools.

We've been saving money for both boys and have enough...but only for state school tuition.  We won't qualify for financial assistance, and 2nd son won't be qualified for any merit or scholarships.  Basically, their education is out of pocket.  But even though we don't qualify for financial aid...we aren't about to spend $31K for a small, private liberal arts college.  My question is..for those of you in the same situation, do you just apply and if accepted, negotiate?  Basically tell them that $$$ is your bottom line?  Our state schools run about $17K room and board..probably $20k with spending money, books, etc. thrown in. 

Thanks con

Avatar for elc11
Community Leader
Registered: 06-16-1998
In reply to:
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 11:52am

I want to add a note that if there are scholarships awarded to be sure that the student can maintain them...although honestly I don't know how you can guarantee that. I'm thinking of the situation of my niece: she was accepted to a small private college with scholarships dependent on maintaining a certain GPA and even more tied to her major, which was music. Halfway through the first year she decided that the music major was too much work due to many requirements outside of classroom hours, which also contributed to her grades falling. With the lower GPA and a change of majors the scholarships disappeared and they could no longer afford the school.

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-26-1999
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 1:28pm
Glad you mentioned that, elc. My dd got a merit scholarship to UO when she was admitted and it was renewable as long as she could maintain a 3.2 GPA. She had a 3.7 in high school so it didn't seem like a big deal but college was a whole different ballgame - at least that one and her program, which was very challenging. She was never able to reach that GPA and also ended up transferring to a public in our state.

                        Calmama54, from the beautiful


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-30-2003
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 7:26am

3.2 GPA?  Wow. 

All of dd's scholarships can be renewed as long as she keeps a 2.7 GPA, (graduated high school with a 4.1) which includes the music scholarship.  And she can keep the music scholarship even if she decides to switch majors. 

And here I am freaking out that something might happen b/c I know that college is very different than high school.  She's taking more classes than in high school, but they don't look too bad.  As long as she doesn't overschedule/ over commit herself to every single extracurricular and volunteer job (this school is big on volunteering) I think she can maintain. 

She'd better.  She can't stay there if she can't keep the GPA up. We can't afford it, and I can't let her go( and not feel guilty) into 100K worth of debt for a degree.

Cheyrl