New Here, 504 Questions

iVillage Member
New Here, 504 Questions
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 8:43pm

Hi,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 12:38pm

We have a 504, we started the whole process midway through kindy but we didn't get on a plan until a month into the new school year. DS has fine and gross motor skills, he also had speech issues and was suspected to have ADHD. They had been doing modifications in the class since kindy (I really have to credit his OT she has gone above and beyond for him). We did get the ADHD diagnosis this year but it didn't really change much because they were doing the modifications already. He had the disco seat, used a rubber band on his chair with his leg, chewed straws. He also has reduced homework and class work for the motor issues and they are working on the computer with him.

To be honest I am eternally greatful for ths staff at his school. I never even had to open my mouth in his meeting. The coordinator felt because acdemically he was fine he didn't need anything I before I even opened my mouth they were all attacking her. Yes academically he knows the stuff its his other stuff that can prevent him from proving it. I know my experience is different, I have friends who have had to fight tooth and nail to get what I got so best peice of advice is just fight for everything don't take the first no as the final. IF you feel in your heart he needs some intervention push for it. YOu are your child's greatest advocate.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 9:40pm

We have an IEP.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2011 - 3:19pm
My ADHD son has a 504 plan, and we have things written into such as preferred seating, extra time for assignments, frequent communication with the teacher, teacher have him repeat the assignment back to them to make sure he was paying attention, less teacher/student ration during state testing, etc. Just think of any type of accommodation he might need and ask for it. It could be things such as being able to get up and move when needed, a special place to go when he's anxious, anything that will help with the issues he has. Keep making notes as you think about it, just remember that it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Community Leader
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 3:26pm

Hi, I am Beth, and my eldest daughter has a 504. Your best friends are your children's DRs. Talk to the neuro-psych, the pediatrician and any other healthcare provider. Ask them what interventions and modifications would be in the best interest of your child. Google interventions and jot them down.

I would start, if I were you, with a request for a balance disc cushion. It helps kids with sensory issues and with ADHD. The dr. can prescribe that the school provide it. Occupational therapy would be another need. The ability of your child to use 'fidgets' is also a possibility.

Good luck