QOTW - Prom Season
Find a Conversation
|Tue, 04-23-2013 - 11:55am|
I'll admit I stole most of this from CM Melissa (thanks for the legwork Melissa!!) and added in a few extra questions at the end:
Here are some scary statistics related to prom season:
-Teen traffic deaths during prom season weekend are higher than at any other time of the year.
-An American Medical Association study reported that 10% of parents believed it was appropriate and safe for underage teens to attend both prom and graduation parties where alcohol is served, if a parent is present.
-Most date rapes and sexual assaults against girls are alcohol and drug-related.
-A U.S. Department of Health and Human Services national survey reported 39% of high school senior boys considered it acceptable to force sex on a girl who is intoxicated by alcohol or high on drugs.
Read more stats along with suggestions on how to talk to your teen about prom at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carleton-kendrick/prom-death-and-sexual-assault_b_3115940.html?utm_hp_ref=parents-teens
- 1. What are your rules when it comes to prom night? Do you host a gathering, or allow your child to stay out all night? Would it make a difference if was parent supervised, even at a hotel?
- 2. Do you contribute to prom costs, if so what's your dollar limit or do you have certain parameters?
- 3. Does your school have a junior/senior prom, just a senior prom, and if so, do the juniors have an "equivalent" dance?
4. Does the prom include dinner at the event or do they go out to dinner separately?
5. Does the school require breathalyzer tests and/or purse checks upon entering the event?