Help with two RF car seats in 2003 Saab 9-3

iVillage Member
Help with two RF car seats in 2003 Saab 9-3
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 10:12pm
Hi. We have a 2003 Saab 9-3. My DD is currently in a Radian 80SL. She's just under 2 yo and is pretty small (24 lbs, 50 pct for height). Number 2 is on the way. We are currently debating getting a new car, unless we can find 2 car seats that will fit moderately comfortably in our car. We used the basic snugride for DD when she was an infant and it only fit in the middle. The Radian is now in the middle. So, I guess it comes down to: 1) Is there an infant seat that will fit behind the passenger seat with the radian in the middle? OR 2) Are there 2 new car seats we can get - one for a toddler and one for an infant - that will fit rear facing in a Saab 9-3? We figure that 2 new car seats is much cheaper than a new car, so whatever combo would work for us would be great to know about. I just bought the angle adjuster for the radian. Still waiting to receive it. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2012 - 9:54am
Actually, many seats puzzle well next to the Radian. If you still have the snugride, try it out now and see how it fits. If it doesn't work, you might try looking at the First Years True Fit. It has a removable headrest that gives you more room when a newborn is little (and it does fit newborns, my DS has been in one since birth) to get it to that 45* angle they need. You put the headrest back on when the child reaches 20lbs or the red line that is put on the cover for you convenience (its at the approx. 1" of hard shell remaining). It is almost as tall shell height wise as the Radian, but it does only RF to 35lbs (unless the new models are higher). My DS just recently outgrew it RF by weight at just shy of 2.5 yr and 36lbs. He also only had about 2-3" of height left and he is around 38-39 inches tall (standing still to let Mommy or docs get accurate heights isn't in his priorities, lol).

You might also consider putting both babies outboard. Since they are both still RFing, they will be safe there as well. One of the mom's who used to post regularly before the big changes had twins, so both her babies had been outboard from birth. If your 2 yr old was FFing, then I would suggest keeping her in the middle and putting baby outboard, because baby would be safer because s/he would be RFing.
Photobucket