Need help w/2007 Dodge Grand Caravan

iVillage Member
Need help w/2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 4:48pm

We currently have a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan and are currently expecting our 3rd child. We would like to move the 2 older children into the 3rd rown bench seat and keep the infant in one of the captain's chairs in the middle row (and flod down the other captian's chair to create the most room to get kids in & out of seats).

The problem is that the 3rd row only has 1 LATCH position so we would have to use the seatbelt to install the 2nd car seat. I have no problem installing a seat with a seatbelt but there is no way to lock the seatbelt to keep it from expanding. Normally you can pull the seatbelt all the way out and it will lock and you slowly put it back to the desired length. Is there any product out there that I can use to lock the seatbelt to the desired length and safely install a car seat? Or are there any other suggestions for us?  TIA!

Jennie.gif picture by jenniem01

Living A Life That Matters Doesn't Happen By Accident.
It's Not A Matter Of Circumstance But Of Choice....
Choose To Live A Life That Matters.

thththththBhurt.gif picture by jenniem01son.gif picture by jenniem01

Tylermotionless.jpg picture by jenniem01

pregnancy

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 6:27pm
I have seen a lock-off at BRU, but I would be more comfortable ordering one from the company that was crash tested with your seat. So my suggestion is to call the customer service line of your seat manufacturer and see how much a lock-off would be. HTH
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 7:21pm

Jennie -

Something you said made me have some other questions...

How many top tethers do you have in the 3rd row? Are your older children rear-facing or forward-facing? How old and how big are they? What car seats do you have for them?

Ideally, you should use the top tether for any child who is forward-facing. If you only have one top tether, we would want the forward-facing child to be in that position. With children who are rear-facing, you don't have to worry about that issue - until you have to put them ff of course.

09-Melanie.jpg Isabelle and Marcus picture by MathMelanie

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 9:11pm

My 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan has lock offs built into the seatbelt buckle. I looked it up in the owners manual, and it says that they will lock off when you pull the lap part of the belt, leaving the shoulder part of the belt loose, but the car seat should be very well installed safely. I have both of my twins' seats installed with the seatbelts in the back bench seat.

I believe that all Chrysler vehicles have seat belts with built in lock offs. Ford cars and trucks you have to pull until you hear clicking.

Suz, Proud Single Mother By Choice to three beautiful children:

Suz, Proud Single Mother By Choice to three beautiful children:  a sweet daughter (born 12.04) and adorable twin sons (born 3.08)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 2:45pm

chrysler dodge have what is called lightweight locking latchplates. i fidn it extra easy to install with seatbelts

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 4:00pm

Suz, thank you!