Are u ever embarrased how frugal u are

iVillage Member
Are u ever embarrased how frugal u are
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 12:11pm
Are you ever embarrased to say how frugal you are.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 3:14pm

im not embarrased per se. im more just sick and tired of being so poor.

for example, im not embarrassed that i havent bought clothes (not one thing...not even underpants) for 3 years. im pissed off about it.

i think being frugal is more "in" these days so there is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 8:56pm

Nah-not embarrassed...actually I like to flaunt it sometimes.

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 10:54pm

I personally have never been embarrassed by it because in my mind I believe I need to be a good stewart with our money. And I do what I can reguardless.

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 9:45am

No, not embarrassed. I sometimes like to flaunt it, too :) I come from a big family, and I mostly wore hand-me-downs; I remember being excited to go clothes shopping...at the thrift store! I still go to thrift stores and resale stores today for our family. We shop at Aldi as much as possible. I've had people wrinkle their nose and say, "no, I don't shop at places like that." Why not?!? It's sooo much cleaner than Wal-Mart, and I don't buy a bunch of junk I don't need. Win-win.

DH is sometimes somewhat of a brand-name junkie, so I try to wean him away replacing brand names with generics as much as possible. I understand, though, that there are some things that just aren't replaceable.

Photobucket

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 10:55am

You know we are in style now! LOL Yes, I have been embarrassed when folks would make fun of our choices back in the day. But it ended up giving us a lot more freedom in the long run and dh was able to leave the military, unlike most of his peers. So do not be ashamed.

Isn't it funny how EVERYTHING is all about saving money now?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 11:34am
No, I'm definitely not embarrassed by my frugality.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 12:20pm

I am not usually embarrassed about saving money and being frugal.

One exception comes to mind though, ds cub scout troop was having a cake auction. The boys baked and decorated cakes, and they were pretty good considering they were made by 7-10 year olds. Well I was prepared to spend maybe $25-30 on a cake. But those parents were bidding 75-100-150 per cake!! Needless to say I didn't buy a cake. I felt bad, but dh was laid off at the time, and I wasn't about to spend that much money on a cake...I know they were basically making a donation but sheesh. I am glad I didn't have to go to the cake auction this year.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 1:30pm

I remember being embarrassed as a kid about my mom buying something that was store brand or generic. We weren't poor but we weren't rich and I think there was a lot more stigma when I was a kid (the 70's) about buying generic means you are poor. I also remember being horrified at the thought of shopping at K-Mart for clothes. There wasn't a Target or Wal-Mart, and I think we usually shopped at JCPenney for clothes.

My mom rarely bought the store brand because she was a master at coupons and rebates and watching sales, so she probably scored all that stuff at less than store brand cost. We had a store room (that I would love to have in my house!) where we kept the extra food and supplies. We also had a huge garden and we canned and froze a lot of food that we grew.

Funny story - my aunt is much like my mom in that they were both coupon clippers and rebaters. They would save UPC codes and box tops and the like and then send in rebates for cash or for coupons for free products. I used to help my mom and with this and thought it was fun. My aunt came to see us one day and she had a stack of coupons for free items that she accumulated through rebates and the like and used them all in one day. She had about 40 coupons and her cart was pretty full. She was nice enough to write in the cost of each item on the coupon for the clerk (this was probably around 1980 or so.) The staff at the grocery store were amazed by this and I had so much fun helping her find the products. Her bill was miniscule in that she only had to pay tax on a few items (in MN groceries are generally not taxed.)

Nowadays I buy the store brand or private label quite a bit and have no problem with it. I also think the quality of store brand products has improved. I'm willing to try different brands and if the store brand works just as good or tastes the same and is cheaper, why not? Like any product, there are some brands that aren't as good, but you never know until you try.

I don't often shop at thrift or secondhand stores for clothes. For my boys, I shop the clearance racks at Target and Kohls, and with the regular discounts via the credit card at Kohls(on which I've never carried a balance) I get their stuff pretty cheap and comparable to what I would spend at the thrift stores in my area. Most stuff so far has been able to be worn by both of them, so that stretches my money even further. DH usually gets any clothes he needs for birthday/xmas (and again from Kohls and often from the clearance racks) so I go for new. As for myself, I take good care of my clothes and don't wear really trendy stuff, so I keep my clothes for quite a while. Last week I wore a summer dress that I bought new for probably $30 in 2003. Still looks great, still fits great.

Kris

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 1:48pm
hello!! im not embarrassed by how frugal i am. sometimes it bugs me...like when i go shopping with my mom and sister. they dont care how much something costs. me-im always checking the tags and stressing. back when i was a kid, it was a bad thing to shop frugally. the kids would pick on me for wearing my sisters hand-me-downs...it was an insult to say "you buy your clothes at kmart!!" the off brand snack cakes would never do-they had to be the name brand. my parents were pretty frugal, but i didnt want them to be. i wanted to be like the other kids and have all the new name brand things. my kids dont seem to be that way. it seems to me that kids are nicer than when i was a kid. or maybe just more of the kids parents are in the same boat and they dont pick on the kids for their clothes anymore...sometimes i wish i didnt have to pinch pennies...but then i think about it-i dont think i could live with myself if i spent money like water without seeing if i can find things cheaper elsewhere or if i knew that the off brand was cheaper. i think im just frugal by nature and i most likely always will be...
joanne
maman2goons@yahoo.com
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 3:07am

I am not embarrassed

Pages