How I spend $100 on groceries

iVillage Member
How I spend $100 on groceries
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 1:07pm

First off, I shop at Winco. Its a Northwest chain of stores that are employed owned. And REALLY cheap!

Second, I make out a meal plan for the month (this is the first time I've done it and it seems to have worked out great).

Third, I coupon like mad!

Fourth, I make my list based on what we need for the meal plans and check my coupons against my list. I will write next to my list *coupon* so I know to look in my book for that item and see if buying the name brand on the coupon is worth it, or if it will be cheaper to just buy the off brand.

We only buy meat every month and a half to two months. We purchase it at Costco and make the portions a bit smaller to last. This comes to about $40.

We buy bread at Winco at $0.48 a loaf. I usually buy two.

We don't make our own baby food. Jacob just eats what we are having. I just make sure its small enough and soft enough for him.

As far as fresh veggies, we hope to have a garden next year. But I spend maybe an extra $20 on those through out the month. We do more canned veggies.

It helps that I am on WIC, and his formula and juice are paid for. Although, next month he is on regular milk so I'm sure our bill is going to go up a bit.

Oh, I also go into the grocery store with the mind set that I am not spending more than $100 on groceries. I will put a tally mark on my list for every $1 that goes into my cart, I round up as much as possible and I don't include my coupon savings (unless its buy one get one free, then I just don't write down the second item). We don't buy junk food and I watch the sales. Generally we shop only at Winco, but sometimes there are a few stores here that will have 12 hour sales that are really good. If we have the extra cash and the room, I will go shopping on those days. But only for the items on my list.

We spent $86 on our last grocery trip, saved $15, used 25 coupons, and purchased 76 items. I figured it out and we purchased $10 of items that were not on our list (I had forgotten a few items).

It gets a little skimpy towards the end of the month, but we make it work and that is what matters the most.

Also, we are a family of three. Myself, my husband and our baby.

Over all, I would say for the entire month we spend closer to $175 or less. But I go based off the $100 because we do that shopping every month. Its not every month that we have to buy more meat.

Photobucket thanks to belle_petite for the awesome siggy!!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 2:00pm
ok $175
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 2:05pm
And its not always $175. Most months its a lot closer to $100. Like for this month its going to be just over $100 and thats with meat. Its because we saved so much on our regular groceries this month.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 2:11pm
I hope I didn't come off sounding snotty. :-) That wasn't it at all. I think $300 to $350 is great for a family of 5. I know ours will go up as Jacob starts eating more and I have to start actually cooking for three with leftovers for DH to take to work. :-)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 3:16pm

Well, I am definately impressed.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 3:30pm

Thats still really good. We buy cheese sticks at Costco and bananas when they are on sale. Right now his favorites are Ritz crackers and graham crackers. :-) We use a lot of potatoes in our meals.

Not all coupons are good. And just because you have a coupon does not mean you need it. This has been a very hard lesson for myself! :-)

I figure when Jacob gets to your DDs age, our bill will probably be more around $200.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 6:16pm
Nope you didnt come off as snotty at all, its just that I probably spend $80 on milk!
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 6:18pm
A Winco just opened in my town, I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 6:30pm

Exactly! I read an article about a lady that spends $4 a week on groceries. The catch there is that she is able to shop at stores that do a lot of coupon doubling. We just don't have that here on the West Coast.

Coffee is our big expense. My husband drinks SO much of it! He made me give up coffee creamer too, in order to get our budget down. He is a snacker too. I just told him though that we can't eat and live like that. Same goes for the meat and potatoes. I make sure that we cook meals that have enough substance for him. I eat WAY less than he does.

When I lived in Portland, I spent $50 a month on groceries (it was all the guy I lived with and I had). But there was ALOT of top ramen and hardly any meat. :-)

I can't wait to get a freezer and be able to really stock up on things when they are on a really good sale.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 7:13pm
LOL the 80 on milk sounds about right around here... it's 3.50 for a half gal of organic whole milk then top that off with lily can't have cows milk so sh'es on coconut milk which is around 4.50 a half gal. and she's still nursing ...i dont even wanna think about when she's completly on food as right now it's looking like no cows milk products and no gluten for her
alexnlilyfall
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 9:18pm

wow...that's impressive

I spend about $500 a month for four adults, 1 year old (who is lactose intolerant so her milk/pediasure is expensive) and two dogs.

I was spending less but decided we needed to eat healthier than we had been so I increased the budget to be able to include more whole grain products, more fruits and veggies and less processed foods.

We don't have a winco, or an aldi's around here and the sav-a-lot that was our cheapest option closed down. I still find values by making our meal plans around what's in the sales ads and then adding coupons to the items already on sale.

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Pages