My frugal boys and QOTW

iVillage Member
My frugal boys and QOTW
Thu, 12-17-2009 - 9:06am

My 13 and 11 yo boys have decided to buy Xmas gifts for their brother, sister, dh and me. Well, they are pooling their $$ and doing it together. Which, given their lack of cooperation at times, is pretty amazing in itself, LOL!!

Tomorrow is an early-release day and I told them I'd take them out shopping then. So, more news to come w/their gift decisions and costs.

Kelly

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 12:46pm

We usually let the girls buy for each other and pay for it. Some years we've gone to big lots and had them each pick out something for the other 2 sisters within a certain dollar amount (or one thing each).

Last year I took them one at a time to the Dollar store to pick out x dollar amount of stuff. They also got to pick out warapping paper and ribbons/box that they would wrap with. They did really good picking out stuff their sister would love. My youngest (5) picked out a dream catcher for DD#2 (7-yo) because that was really something that she wanted because she has bad dreams sometimes and was totally excited about it.

This year I've only taken the oldest so far to pick something out. Santa & Mom and Dad are not going crazy with the amount of gifts this year (we did big ticket items this year; DS, digital camera, lugguage set) so this will suplement what else they are getting. DD (11) did really good picking out stuff that her sisters would like. She had it set beforehand what she wanted to get and we went shopping with a list (yeah) It was hard for her to decide from what they had on hand at the store, but I told her she had to stay within a price limit or pay with her own money. She got a couple room sets for DD#3's fisher price loving family dollhouse and an awesome bug/frog habitate (with coupon to send away for a tapole)

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 7:49am

Well I only have one child. My sister has 3 and she foot the bill and they get each one something small.

jess

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-20-2009 - 9:37am

We have not had my girls buy gifts for each other or us yet.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-20-2009 - 12:07am

We just took my girls out today to buy Christmas presents. They picked out one thing together for their soon-to-be baby brother (who will be here by Christmas - at least, he better be). They each picked out something for each other, too. Of course we paid (they are nearly 3 and 4).

At this age, I just want to teach them that Christmas is more than getting - and try to steer them into getting something sissy would like and not something they want for themselves. As they get older, we'll deal more with the money aspect and putting them on a budget and later having them use their own money. We actually let them spend quite a bit on each other, but I think it will be nice for each of them to have a very-coveted gift that came from their sister.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-19-2009 - 4:50pm
I always had my kids buy for their siblings....when they were younger, I paid for the gift or the materials to make a gift...as they got a little older, I chipped in x amount but let them earn money if they wanted to spend more...and then as they got to the age that they were working/babysitting etc they took over paying completely

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-18-2009 - 10:49am

My son is a only child, so

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-18-2009 - 10:26am

No siblings here.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-18-2009 - 7:16am
My two girls do exchange gifts, usually something small that they pick and I pay for, sometimes they make things at our schools Christmas craft night (where kids make gifts for free to give their family), and sometimes they give each other something they have but their sister wants so no cost there.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-17-2009 - 9:56pm

In general, my kids do not buy gifts for each other or their grandparents, or for us parents. When they were in elementary school, they would have the stupid holiday bazaar every year,

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-17-2009 - 7:16pm

we take alex out to pick a gift for lily we pay

'lily' picks a gift for alex also and we pay...

Photobucket

Pages