Oops!!! Late Thrifty Thursday for 3/12

iVillage Member
Oops!!! Late Thrifty Thursday for 3/12
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 8:16pm

Better late than never, I guess!

What are some frugal things you've done this week?

Besides my usual frugal habits.....

Did a few transactions at Walgreens. The best deals for me--2 jars of Jif for $1.17 total, deodorant for .31 after sale & coupon and 2 bottles of shampoo for free. (Though the shampoo could have been last week,

Kelly

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 10:02pm

Rather than re-grout, or tear up and re-tile my ancient bathroom floor....I bought some grout whitener on clearance at Lowe's last week, and am refurbishing my floor (and will do the tile in the shower as well). Giving myself a "brand new" bathroom floor and

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-15-2009 - 7:55am

That sounds like a great idea.... I might have to try that.... I have an ancient bathroom also.

My frugal things this week are:

• Cooking Dinner all week

• Using the stuff from the pantry first

• using my on demand to entertain my family

Other than that it has not too frugal of a week. We just dropped $1100 on car repairs (new strut, ball joints and new tires) so that credit card we just paid off is no longer paid off. That sucks, but it was there for emergencies.

Heather

baby growth

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-15-2009 - 10:14am

Used my drying rack for clothes from the washing machine a couple times, made my own yogurt and bread, used gas coupon, free product coupon and Discover card at gas station for 5% cash back, 5 cents off a gallon, and free orange juice.

Took my kids to middle school 'family fun night' and they got to play and rollerblade with their friends for 2 hours (for free).

Cleaning out my fridge weekly is helping me be smarter with leftovers, and to use up or make a plan for vegs especially.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-15-2009 - 11:00am

Using homemade cleaners

Took DH out to dinner for his birthday and had two coupons which they let me stack, so dinner was $17 for two!

Stayed in with sick kids, so I didn't go out for coffees or fast food.

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 12:23am

This last weekend, my sis & I went to the Celtic Fair. We bought our tickets online, which even with a $3 service fee, it came out to $18.50 per ticket, verses $24 at the gate. Kids get in for free, 12 & under. Also, we were able to park at a friend of a friend's house, so that saved us a $10 parking fee. Though we walked half a mile! LOL

I also spent the night at my parent's house rather than drive home, since I had to work the next day. It was frugal, in that I saved gas money. But unfrugal in that I had to buy dinner on Sat. and lunch on Sun., since I couldn't pack one. I did make us breakfast Sun. morning, of scrambled eggs and toast. I don't trust much else in their fridge.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 1:44pm

Well... we took the kids on a mini-vacation to a near by indoor water park this past weekend (this was planned and paid for prior to DH's job worries), we packed our breakfasts and lunches to cut down on costs. The hotel that had the water park attached was pricey, but you could stay one night and use the water park all day on the day you checked in as well as on the day you checked out, so for $200, we had two days at a water park plus lodging. THEN they didn't have our room ready for us on time, so they knocked $90 off the room. So it was quite a deal. And our kids had an incredibly good time.

This week we won't have any daycare costs for my youngest. We're not doing any other big things this week. Thank goodness the weather has been great, so we've been playing outside a lot... the best kind of entertainment! :)

Jill...Wife to Chris,

Mommy to Jacob & Jonah

Jill