wwyd unexpected check showed up

iVillage Member
wwyd unexpected check showed up
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 11:08pm

ok, I get the mail Sat. and look.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 7:01pm
I didn't read the other replies. You need to cash the check, deposit wherever you want to, and hang onto the money. Regardless of whether or not it's a mistake. Here's the thing. They sent you a check. Period. When they want the money back, they want the money back, not the check back. You have to cash it in order to send it back. The US Government is a pain in the rear like that. and it could be years and years, maybe 20 or more even, before the error is caught. And calling them will probably not help, since even if they know why they sent it to you, if it's in error, they can't "catch" the error that you are pointing out to them, they have to catch it in an audit, it's part of what keeps our economy running the way it is....
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 9:19pm

Yes with dh deployed it is a real PITA to have him come to the phone.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 9:09pm

Yay! You get to keep the check! But wow, you were stuck in a ditch?? That's not good. Is everyone ok?

I don't like when I can't talk about things that are in my husband's name either. Bugs me to no end. Bugs my husband also because he's not always available to make these calls and ask questions and such, and so he wants me to be able to get the information we need. We've even had this problem with the cable company, our wireless company, and even our credit card. His name is the only one listed on our cable and wireless plan, and they say they cannot add a second name...but yet they won't talk to me unless he gets on the phone and tells them that it's ok to speak to me. lol For the credit card, he's the primary, and I'm listed as an "Authorized User" on the account. At least with the credit card company, they put it into the file that it's ok for them to talk to me.

Glad that the check looks to be yours to deposit. :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 8:41pm

Ok update on the check. After calling the IRS who suggested calling the US treasury and they could tell the check was from the VA ed fund. It was recommended that I call them.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 3:06pm
I'd hang onto it until you find out what it is. :) Hopefully it will be something you get to keep! :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 2:38pm

I wouldn't cash it until you figure out what it is. I had a boss that got a check from the IRS that she shouldn't have. When they figured out the mistake, they charged her interest on it b'cuz she cashed it. Had she just held onto it (or mailed it back), she wouldn't have. The way they looked at it: she should have known it was an error, and she got to "use" the money for the duration of time between when she cashed it and when she sent them a check back.

But, I do hope it's not a mistake!

Photobucket

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Photobucket

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 10:36am

It sounds like Stimulus money....the checks that people got as part of the stimulus plan. I think some people that didn't qualify for it when it occurred ended up qualifying for it and so they are still sending checks. That's my guess.

I'd not cash it either until I knew exactly what it was either.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 7:05am

This isnt from DFAS, it is direct from the US treasury. Which is really wierd.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 12:03am

If it is part of your DHs pay that he unexpectedly received then I would cash it and put it into savings. I say that for several reasons. First, whether Uncle Sam made a mistake or not it will probably be some time before they figure it out. Trust me, I've BTDT. Even if you call the treasury they probably won't have any idea what the $ is for. Again BTDT. But one of these days they will realize that once upon a time they paid your DH $350 and it was a mistake and Whoops! they want that money back like yesterday, and they will probably send you an unexpected no pay due. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to DH and I when we were in the Army and still now that I'm in the Reserves. If it isn't a mistake then what a plus for you but if it is then I recommend cashing it and putting it in savings where it will gain interest until that unhappy day when they want their money back.

You can also tell your DH to submit a pay inquiry at his finance office to see if there was a mistake. Another option if your absolutely sure the money was sent to you by mistake then you can simply return the check to the treasury. Call them and ask them if you can sent it back by certified mail so you have proof they received it.

I can't tell you how often this has happened to us. HTH

button13.gif picture by stephanienegron