The average family of four spends upwards of $1,200 a month on food, or roughly $40 a day.

iVillage Member
The average family of four spends upwards of $1,200 a month on food, or roughly $40 a day.
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 12:17pm
iVillage Member
I know, I thought "Are you crazy?" My budget is less than $10/ day for a family of 6. It did have some good tips like using dried beans and rice to stretch things out, freezing leftover rice, and using meat as part of the meal not the main dish. I think part of it is where we live, I can get whole chickens for 69 cents/lb on sale and only on special occasions will I spend more than $2/lb on meat. It was better than some of the yahoo financial stuff.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I can't even imagine spending that much on groceries in a month! I do the meat stretching trick often. My kids love sloppy joes, which is meat based typically, but I learned this summer that I can throw an almost equal amount of precooked rice in with the meat, (so rice that maybe we had a day or more ago, so it's cold out of the fridge). I cook it all together, which allows the rice to pick up the meat flavor, the sauce the whole thing. My kids couldn't tell a taste difference at all! I fed 3 growing big kids and my honey with 1 lb of ground beef!

We always cook double the needed rice, and it usually shows up again in the week as fried rice. The frozen bag of veggies is less than a dollar, throw in a pound of chicken, or whatever is left over meat in the fridge, and it's a massive sized meal made with left overs that feeds my family of 5 with tons of leftovers easily.
iVillage Member
That is a great idea to do that for sloppy joes. I do it with tacos but hadn't found away to stretch the sloppy joe meat.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

This seems really high to me also.

iVillage Member

I agree with all of you..crazy! I budget about $550 a month for a family of 5 and usually are between $550-$600. However, I do think I have

iVillage Member
I have special allergy free food in my budget not by choice but as a need to keep the girls safe so I try to spend around $600 a month but I fix three meals a day for a family of five my girls must pack lunches because of thier food allergies leftovers work for the oldest lunch since hers get reheated at school as needed

Becky
Becky