504 Questions

iVillage Member
504 Questions
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 7:00pm
Hi all! First let me apologize for using my CL hat, but I can't figure out how to switch screen names. Now for my question. I received the rough draft of the 504 from my son's special educator at his school. I went over it and added many more to it. I'm just wondering if I should've added so many. I just figured what the hell, you know? They're making me jump through these hoops when all I wanted was a study sheet for my son. So now I'm just on overdrive asking for it all! Did you receive a lot of accomodations or only a few very necessary ones? I only asked for things that would truly benefit my son, don't get me wrong. But if I had to delete some, I could. What do you think? Dana
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 5:52am
Hi Dana. OK, first of all, if you click on LOG OUT above, you can log off with you cl-hat and re-enter a different user name. (Took me a bit to find that one, too. LOL)

As for the 504 ... my feeling is that the school/parents need to work together as a team with the ultimate goal of helping the child. With that, there needs to be a certain level of 'reasonableness.' Is that a word? I mean, if you go overboard on all things you think your child would need, and it's so overwhelming, the school may think "well, we're not equipped to help this kid ... he probably needs to be in a special school." When dealing with 25-30 (or more!) kids in a classroom, there needs to be a way of accomodating special needs without taking away from the other kids in the class. So, if you go in with a list so long that it would take the teacher's entire day just to help your child, then I'd have to say that you're not being reasonable.

Having a study sheet is a reasonable request. Having an extra set of books at home so that he never has the excuse of "oops, can't do my homework 'cause I forget to bring my math book' is a reasonable request. Having the teacher sign off after a child writes his homework assignments in his agenda is a reasonable request. Requesting extra time on standardized tests is also reasonable. Asking the teacher to e-mail homework assignments to the parents, or complete an easy behavior chart is reasonable.

If you're asking for a whole lot more than that AND the school sees you as being over-bearing or unreasonable, they are going to be less likely to constructively work with you ... and having annomosity between you and the school is not going to help your child. You want THEM to be fair and reasonable with you ... and you should ... but you need to respond in kind. The old adage of "do unto others ..." sort of applies here as well. What I've found is that even when I'm annoyed with the school and the system (and I have been on many occasions) I do better being pleasant and reasonable ... Going in all charged up DOES work (temporarily) because they'll do what they need to to shut you up and get you away ... but long term, it's not a good situation.

Good luck! Hope this works out for you all.

Nancy

Nancy 

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />