Any disadvantages to a 504?

iVillage Member
Any disadvantages to a 504?
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 11:35am

My 12yo son is in the process of getting an official diagnosis of ADD-inattentive.  We've already seen his neurologist, he's met with the school psychologist, and we should have it official in the next couple of weeks.

The psychologist said he would like to have extra time to complete projects and additional help from his teachers.  I'm fine with that too. 

My question is, are there any disadvantages to having a 504 plan in place?  I don't mean psychological ones such as him feeling bad or us being embarrassed, neither of which is going to happen.  I mean things as he gets older, such as his placement in high school classes.  We have a couple of older kids (college & HS senior) but this is our first time getting a diagnosis in middle school, so before I jump on this, I want to know if there are any reasons *not* to.

Thanks.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 4:53pm

My son has been on a 504 plan for ADHD since 4th grade, and I haven't run across a disadvantage yet.  He's now a freshmen in high school, was able to take advanced courses in middle school so he's ahead of the game when it comes to math and science.  You could also ask over on the Special Education Plans board to see if they can think of any disadvantages, here is the link:  http://www.ivillage.com/forums/forum/20177