confused!! Please help

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2006
confused!! Please help
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 9:52am

Hi. Im new to this board and I am in desperate need of advise. We noticed that our 7 y.o. son was having attention problems in Kindergarten. In 1st grade we took him in to see his Pediatrician to have him evaluated for ADHD. His doctor diagnosed him with having ADHD, only by the Conners rating form that I filled out. His teacher also filled out a teachers version of this form...but he was new to the school and only had this teacher for 2 weeks....hardly long enough to give a fair evaluation. On this form, the only problems he scored 3's on were the attention/organization issues. For the first year we tried every alternative option to deal with his ADHD (diet, homeopathic, etc) After our efforts failed we decided to try the stimulants. He tried all forms of the stimulants only to have disturbing side effects from all (such as hallucinations, violent outbursts and uncontrollable crying). The more I read about ADHD, have left me wondering if he has ADHD or something else. I just don't know where to begin getting a proper diagnoses for whatever my sons issue is. A little of his background....diagnosed with a milk protein intolerance at 2 months old, head banging in his crib as a young infant, cant focus at school, has to be told repeatedly to do basic things (brush teeth, get dressed, do homework etc) He was also evaluated in school for special ed/services...he has been in speech for about a year and his grades have actually gotten worse. Every one of his teachers have punished him for not completing his work, such as losing his recess or moving his clip. He is not violent or disruptive...but he is very sensitive and cries a lot when other kids say or do something remotely "mean" to him. Sometimes it only takes a look to send him into tears. Thus, he having problems making friends with any boys. He is the sweetest, most caring, loving little boy I have ever known and my heart breaks for him. I don't know what steps to take. I really wish more Dr's were educated in this disorder so that it would not be so mind-boggling for us parents! Thank you for any advice you can offer


iVillage Member
Registered: 06-10-2007
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 5:30pm

Hi, and welcome

I would start by asking your Pediatrician for a referral to a Neuropsychologist, who can diagnose ADHD and anything else that may be there. A pediatrician can sometimes diagnose, if they have extensive training, but most do not.

A Connors assessment is not a diagnosis, it is one of the many things that can be considered. There also should be bloodwork, Vision and hearing testing, allergy testing( if needed), IQ testing, observations etc. An EKG is usually done before meds, especially if there may be an underlying problem.

A child may HAVE ADHD, but it is not what they ARE. Never tell a child they ARE ADHD.

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-25-2008
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:45pm

Ditto Baykrismom's input. I add that if your insurance plan doesn't offer access to a neuropsychologist, a child psychiatrist is also qualified to diagnose. Most pediatricians are not qualified, although a developmental pediatrician is a good option. You really want a specialist making the diagnosis; someone who has seen and treated ADHD a thousand times and can diagnose with certainty.


Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 4:27pm
Hi Renee!

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-29-2006
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 8:43am

He needs a better evaluation by multiple people, or by a psychologist.

You mention milk protein allergy.

My three children are lactose intolerant and my son has bad allergies and allergy induced bronchitis/asthma.

We recently were told about Celiac disease because my Ill and disabled husband was diagnosed, and it is hereditary.
This disease can cause allergy problems, either outdoor and food, and also causes signs of learning problems and inattention and is often unseen. Children can be misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD, when they really have Celiac or another form of food allergies.

Your pediatrician can order a blood tests that is called celiac antibodies.

This will help, if he has it.
It's an allergy to gluten and can make children and adults very sick.

Just a suggestion because we found out about the disease yrs after the kids have had allergies to food, and i am going through ADD assessment for my son, but also getting the Celiac disease test results too.


Loving Wife to Chuck, and Proud Mommy to:


Loving Wife to Chuck, and Proud Mommy to: