I need advice on how to request a 504 Plan and what accomidations to ask for...

iVillage Member
I need advice on how to request a 504 Plan and what accomidations to ask for...
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 7:05pm

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD combined type in June and

Pages

iVillage Member

The sad part every school is different in how they handle these things. We have been very lucky Liam made an instant click with the OT at his school and she actually took over as his case manager and she's ready to battle even DH and me if need be to get him the help he needs but not all schools are the same. My SIL teaches in a very poor district and to save money they bank on under educated parents not understanding their kids right to special ed services. Speech is required by law but they tell them come middle school it isn't an option any more reguardless of it the kid needs it and they get away with it because she teaches in a heavily immigrant population were MANY of the parents have a high school education at best. Now her DD goes to a school that doesn't want to educate special ed kids because they bring down test scores. Its a charter school so its a public school and they are still required but they make a very unwelcoming enviorment for kids with learning issues so parents will get fed up and move to the public school. The charter school is in out city and I do think it explainins the very open and welcoming process at our school. They do get many charter school rejects so they go above and beyond. We will find out this year how good my sisters school district is with issues. My nephew is in many ways just like my DS plus other issues so will be interesting to see how his first year of school goes.

We were told there are many kids who take medicine for various reasons so if a second dose of medication was needed the nurse was ready and they handle just lke the other services teacher has a list of who gets pulled for what and when and would just send the kid needing the medicine to the nurse at x time very discreatly.

Good luck its never easy battling the schools. DS was special needs from birth and I had to learn fast I was his only voice as a baby. I lucked out with his elementary school but had many battles with preschool and trying to find day care as a baby was horrible.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thank you, Melissa. The watch idead is a very good one. She would be able to remind her teacher if she forgets to send her to the office.
iVillage Member

I'm happy your son has someone in the school willing to stand up for

iVillage Member

Usually it's the administrators in my school who do the 504 plans, but sometimes they fall under Special Ed as well. The other ladies have offered good advice, but I'd take it a step further and try to contact the special ed teacher on your campus personally. She might be able to help you cut through some of the red tape that the district has. 504s might cost the school money, but they also usually warrant some extra funds from the government, so there's no reason the school shouldn't be working on what is best for your daughter.

Build your own free website for your family pictures! www.totsites.com

Pages