I need advice on how to request a 504 Plan and what accomidations to ask for...

iVillage Member
I need advice on how to request a 504 Plan and what accomidations to ask for...
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 7:05pm

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD combined type in June and

Pages

iVillage Member

Hi, and welcome!
Before anything can be done the school will have to do an Educational Evaluation, then they will decide whether she is eligible for a 504, or an IEP plan. This can take

iVillage Member
baykrismom gave you a great letter, I just wanted to wish you luck getting a 504 plan. My son has one and it's really helped to give him the accommodations he needs to be successful in school.

I wanted to pass along a link to a 504 FAQ thread: http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/The-Resource-Room/Section-504-FAQs/m-p/117698625/message-uid/117698625#U117698625

Please keep us posted on how you are doing getting one in place.

iVillage Member

Thank you for the advice and the sample letter (I will be using that). And thank you Melissa for the link to the

iVillage Member
The school , or anyone associated with the school cannot mention, or diagnose ADHD, it violates Federal law.

Schools generally do not want to do 504 plans, since it costs them money. I would send the letter, and go from there. They have to do an evaluation, they have no choice if you request it. Make sure to keep records, and copies.
iVillage Member

Since you have had her diagnosed by a Ped PSYCHIATRIST, that diagnosis trumps all other "diagnoses", especially that of a psychologist, who has never actually seen the child.

iVillage Member

Thank you for the ideas and advice. I have a notebook that I have been writing down things I think would help her out and I added your ideas to it.

iVillage Member
I was so surprised when the school district psychologist rudely interrupted a conversation I was having to say my daughter didn't have ADD and even if she did he doesn't believe in medicating children. ADHD wasn't even brought up by me in that meeting or anyone else aside from him spouting his antiquated ideas for a child he had never laid eyes upon. I was so angry after that! What an idiot! I have always known my daughter had ADHD and having her diagnosed by someone who actually knows what they are talking about (unlike that fool for the school district) has been both good and bad (at least she is getting the help she needs now by her dr). Now after what happened last year at that meeting with that fool, I am scared the school won't help me or will try to make this as unpleasant as possible for me to get her help.
iVillage Member
Grrr... that makes me so angry he said that!!!! I honestly don't know why they would want to deny any child that really needs one, all it's doing is providing accomodations. I don't have much to add to sabrtooth's suggestions, she covered most of them. My son is in middle school, so he no longer has the same ones. He does have an accommodation for state testing, that he's in a quieter room with more monitoring, and he also gets an extra week to turn in assignments. Another one you might want to add is for communication with the teacher, whether it be a weekly progress report, or an email when she's getting behind.

Stay strong!!

iVillage Member

Grrrr is right! Not only was I infuriated by his comment, I was very angry that

iVillage Member
Her teacher should remember to send her to the office, wonder if they can do it on her way to lunch? You could buy her a watch with an alarm that goes off when she needs another dose, that might be a good way for everyone to remember ;)

Pages