Nancy - Keke0116

iVillage Member
Nancy - Keke0116
Thu, 07-31-2003 - 6:52pm
Hey Nancy,

Well after 4 1/2 months we're taking my son off Strattera. The first 2 1/2 months I could not believe how fabulous this med was - happy kid - laughing - doing great in Summer School (got an "A") - just an all around great kid (he will be 16 in October (11th grade)

Boy, then the hyperness was terrible - reliving his very young years. He's on Concerta - calm - but the happy kid is gone - pysch and I are testing stuff.

Denise

Denise

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-01-2003 - 10:33am
I'm sorry that your DS is unhappy again and that the Strattera didn't work for you. I hope that you can find a happy medium for all of you and that he is happy once again. Keep us posted.

Roxie

Roxie

CL-mommys_crew

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-02-2003 - 8:42am
Sorry the Strattera didn't last ... it didn't work for us at all! Right now, Kevin is off all meds ... and I can't believe it, but it's been wonderful. (5-6 weeks now, not one single problem.) Not sure how long this will last, but boy I'm enjoying it.

Kevin did really well on Concerta for 15-16 months, but it did take about 3-4 weeks to really SEE the benefits. I'm also currently reading info on the Feingold Diet. That, to me, is interesting as it goes with my own theory (for years) about how the increase in the number of behaviorally challenged children has to do with something in the environment ... whether it be food additives, preservatives, something in the water, or the ozone layer ... so this makes a lot of sense (so far) to me. Kevin, of course, is a picky eater, and how do you go about making changes to that? But, if I can keep him med-free by dietary changes, then it seems to me to be worth the effort. In the meantime, he just finished his week of sleep-away camp (first time in 3 years this was a med-free experience) and he had a ball. No problems.

The med-experience is a roller coaster ride, total trial and error, so I understand where you're at. It's really hard 'cause we want all the best of our kids, we want them to be themselves and be happy, just to take away the issues that make it tough for them to function ... and when you look at it that way, that's a tall order for a little pill. Good luck!

Nancy

Nancy 

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />