NEW TO 504 plan!! HELP

iVillage Member
NEW TO 504 plan!! HELP
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 1:31am

I just met with the psychiatrist, he stated that i was right and that my son is not getting the right services and that they are treating him unfairly in the classroom (taking him out of the class, taking away recess/lunch play time) if he miss behaved... he also attained all negative feed back and no positive, as well as not giving him slack on hw, help and others

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 12:38pm
Hi Magi :) It really astounds me when schools aren't willing to work with special needs kids, putting an education plan in place will only be the benefit to everyone. I'm glad you are going to push for a 504 plan for him. I'm not the best resource on this, but wanted to recommend that you post this over on the Special Education Plans board: http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Special-Education-Plans/ct-p/iv-pppiep

They'll have lots of advice for you, as well as how to keep advocating for your child. My son has a 504 plan for ADHD as well, and it's helped in some areas. It's good for you all to be on the same page when it comes to his education.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 11:45am

You will have to request an educational evaluation in writing, the

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 12:12am

If you have an actual diagnosis for your son, you absolutely need to push for the 504 or IEP. We finally got one for my 9 yo. dd as an IEP under OTH (Other Health Impairment - ADHD) before she was diagnosed with PDD-NOS.

Request, in writing, that he be tested for special education, and they will have to address it. It's always going to be a fight, from getting this first 504 or IEP, to getting the right accomodations for him. You know and care for him best, so don't let anyone else tell you that you don't know what you're talking about.

Caroline

I'm a Type A mom, and my husband and two precious girls have ADHD. My youngest also struggles with PDD-NOS and Sensory Processing Disorder. Visit the chaos at our house at