Newbie here with a Q about Therapists-

Avatar for takishas
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-09-2003
Newbie here with a Q about Therapists-
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 1:47pm
My daughter is 6 years old in 1st grade, we had her screened last year thru our school district therapist- who was not able to rule ADHD out. So this year, her ped has requested an eval with a therapist.

My question is- what should I look for in a therapist? My insurance company gave me a list of Dr's in my area that take children, my DD's age- but that was all. I have to call these people and see if they are taking new patients but what else should I ask them?

Please advise,


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-28-2003
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 6:15pm
One thing to look for is referrals from other parents. Or even the school. Ask the school who they send kids to for second opinions. Also, ask your ped for a rec. Give him the list. Once you've gotten a few names, I would call them up, explain the situation, and ask if they well let you meet with them to see what you think. I did this, and only one doctor wanted to charge me for the "get to know you" visit. Later I found out he wasn't highly recommended.

You also want to get one that specializes in kids. If you are going for AD/HD, ask them how they feel about medication. Judge it with how you feel about meds.

That's some of the stuff I did.

Also, make sure your ins. will let you get a second opinion of switch if you aren't happy.



iVillage Member
Registered: 07-03-2003
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 8:28pm
Try to find one who isn't weird. Truly, just because someone has an advanced degree and a license, doesn't mean they are qualified.

I like the advice of the last person. And, what I did was get the list from the insurance company and call around and ask them questions - about how they do their testing, how long they've been doing this, what is their philosophy about meds. And, go with your gut, too. I did - and it turned out good for us.

Good luck - this is one of the first steps and such an important one.

Avatar for kathy_in_ga
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 10:35pm
Your child's pediatrician may also be able to help. See if they know any of these therapists, or know of them. You are lucky to have a list, in my area there are very few child therapists and we have just gotten our first child psychiatrist. I am still traveling 2.5 hours to my sons old psych until I hear more about this new one. If you don't want to aks other parents the doc office is a good one to try.
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-27-2003
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 1:46pm
If it's testing you want, you should go with a PhD level neuropsychologist that specializes in testing of children. You should ask for a full neuropsych. evaluation including (most importantly for adhd) a test of executive function. In addition, your school district could probably be made to do the testing. If their psychologist couldn't figure it out then they should hire someone who is qualified to figure it out! If they won't do it you may qualify for the school to pick up the tab. Finally, you may not want your school district to do the testing because they tend to be biased.

If it's therapy you want you should go with someone you feel comfortable, regardless of the degree.