Okay I've been in denile long enough....

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-16-2009
Okay I've been in denile long enough....
1
Tue, 09-15-2009 - 5:28pm

I believe my 9yr old is ADHD. I have read and read books upon books on parenting I've tried ever parenting tool out there and yes while most help defuse situations they don't help him remember what he was going to say 2 seconds ago and they sure don't help him remember what I said 2 seconds ago. I often find myself asking him what did I ask you to do? He will think a long time and remember maybe 10% of the time but the other 90% I have to tell him again.

Just in the last day or so: he has forgot to put toothpaste on his toothbrush because he was to busy reading the back of the toothpaste bottle. He said his prayers 2x last night because he forgot he already said them. I can only ask him to do one thing at a time and then ask him if he's done it yet. I will say time for bed go brush your teeth. He makes it to the bathroom and asks "MOM WHAT WAS I DOING" It's getting to the point that I can't believe anything he says because he just plain forgets what really happened so he just guesses or makes something up. He says I think he's lying, but I don't, I know he truly can't remember. sometimes he will repeat what I told him to do till he gets it done...but really that can only help for so long.

His teacher has called me 2 times this year and schools only been in a week. He got in trouble for talking to much and so he lost recess time....she says "it seems like he didn't even care" "he just can't get it together". I'm sure he just gave her a blank stare and thought huh? she must be having a bad day.

We have an appointment with a great ADHD specialist, we have filled out the parent accessment form and gave one to his teacher (I don't think she believes in ADHD) I have been taking notes on his behavior and things that he forgets. I don't know if it's that he forgets or that it just doesn't connect in is brain so he can remember. I'm sure he is ODD too! I call it the parent complex he thinks he is the parent. He will out right tell us NO....and trust me it's not because he thinks he can get away with it.

Anyway, is there any thing else I should take notes on or bring with me to the DR. that might help or speed up the processes? I'm really at the end of my rope...I honestly don't know how we have managed this long with out getting professional help.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-03-2007
Tue, 09-15-2009 - 6:27pm
I would say it sounds like you are headed in the right direction getting the evaluation done.
kids