****QOTW for 8/08/03****

iVillage Member
****QOTW for 8/08/03****
Fri, 08-08-2003 - 10:42am
We all have regrets, we all have expectations. Sometimes those two go hand in hand.

What is one expectation you would like to have met? If you don't have an expectation, what is one requirement or request you'd like to have met by anyone regarding your child's ADD/ADHD?

In my case, I would like BM & the school staff acknowledge my role in aiding SD with her ADD treatment. The school won't give me the time of day any longer (I'm not a legal guardian and BM has made it clear that I can no longer sign anything on behalf of DH at the school). As for BM I wish that she would acknowldege me as well as all the help that I've given to SD over the years as well as all the research I've done on ADD/ADHD and how I do help SD. As far as DH is concerned I'm the resident expert on the subject and looks to me for advice. BM on the otherhand refuses to acknowledge me period, regardless of anything I've done. I don't even exist in ther room when she's there. That's how bad it is now. Guess she sees me as still turning SD into a "LAB RAT" and thinks "I'm doing things TO SD."

What is one expectation you would like to have met? If you don't have an expectation, what is one requirement or request you'd like to have met by anyone regarding your child's ADD/ADHD?

Roxie

Roxie

CL-mommys_crew

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-08-2003 - 5:21pm
I expect everyone to read the info I give them about my son. I also expect the teacher to treat him accordingly, NOT to degrade him. One request I will be making, soon I think, is for my son to be moved into another classroom. He is starting to show signs of stress again. He was leaning back in his chair(something I have told him not to do) when he fell and hit his head. HE says the teacher laughed at him and told him to do it again, then the whole class laughed. I know he shouldn't have been sitting in his chair like that, BUT........ act like an adult and see if he is OK, then tell him that it was his fault he fell and not to sit like that again. Joiner does alot, but he never lies, he even tells on himself!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 5:25am
I would like to be assured that I will have the regular feedback and cooperation from the schools to ensure that my kids have the best chances to succeed, and to know that they will indeed have the help and understanding they need. Not everyone takes this seriously, and since my son is starting jr. high we are stepping into a whole new arena with his having many teachers. I would like for teachers to really make an effort to learn about AD/HD and the best methods for servicing students who have this. A lot of time you get lip service only. I have taken the initiative for talks regarding this, rather than the teachers. I would really like for them to be more proactive about this. I would also request that there not be so much red tape, and that when we request testing it not take so long for the schools to get around to it. Even with me being the one to request testing, it's been 1-2 months before they get all the paperwork out of the way to do it.

Heidi

Heidi

~*~*~*~*~*~*

"That which we pers