Question about 504/IEP

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2004
Question about 504/IEP
Sun, 09-20-2009 - 10:50pm

I was wondering is it mandatory a school provide a 504 or IEP for a student with ADHD?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-10-2007
Sun, 09-20-2009 - 11:22pm

Hi, and welcome

It is not mandatory, unless you request it. The school is not going to provide services that are not requested, usually.

You would have to request an Educational Evaluation, in writing. I would send it to the Special Ed director of the school district, I sent mine return receipt requested, so

A child may HAVE ADHD, but it is not what they ARE. Never tell a child they ARE ADHD.

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-10-2003
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 8:29am
A 504 plan can provide accommodations that your child needs in the classroom such as extended time on tests or preferential seating. A diagnosis of ADHD does not automatically qualify a child for a 504 plan. A child has to have a significant impact of a major life activity that affects the child in school in order to have a 504 plan.
An IEP is usually reserved for children who need services beyond what is provided in the regular classroom through special education. Therefore, I would not request an evaluation unless this is really what your child needs.
I would request a meeting to discuss your child and if there are things that may warrant a 504 plan then you can request a meeting after your meeting with the teacher.